Something loose in my ski

More
4 years 3 months ago #35852 by ph.nilsson
Hi all,

So, I recently dropped the rear end of my carbonology vault about 30cm (1 foot) onto asphalt. The rudder took some of the hit, but mostly it landed sort of on its side.

After this, I noticed a rattling as if there is something like a small piece of plastic loose in the aft part of the hull. This rattling is noticeable if I for instance turn the boat upside down and back again.

I have paddled the ski since, and everything seems to be working just fine. Also, there are no soft spots or marks on the hull.

Nevertheless, im a little worried about what this loose piece might be and if I should do anything about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35856 by [email protected]
It's most likely to be a small piece of glue from the central rib that runs down the length of the boat. 

It's unlikely that the rib has actually come loose, if it had, you'd be able to hear/feel a big lump moving inside the hull.

I wouldn't be too worried about it.  I had a boat for years that had a rattle in the nose. 

And there's nothing you can do about it except make a large hole in the deck to see inside the hull and I wouldn't advise that!

You've already checked for soft spots - given that you didn't find any, I'd say, "keep calm and paddle on!"

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
4 years 3 months ago #35859 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Something loose in my ski
Can you shake it down to the nose, flip the ski and slide it towards the drain plug and stick your finger in to get it out, even remove whole drain plug assembly to give more room. I had a bit come loose from around the rudder tube connection. Which I had repaired but a bit of debris was left behind that I had to get out

Latest Forum Topics