advice on Spec Skis please

More
4 years 1 month ago #35978 by paddlepop71
I am a brand new paddler looking to get a spec ski for Masters Surf Rescue.  I am torn between the Fenn LS and the Carbonology Surf.

When i compared the 2 the obvious difference is the front. The Carbonology has a traditional shaped nose and the Fenn is more sleek.  The Fenn also measures at 480mm width whilst the C is 460mm.  I know the Fenn can be purchased in deep seat for more stability. 

Where i live we dont have alot of big surf but it could be messy/lumpy stuff

Will the difference in width affect the stability?  i know its only cm but.... What makes a boat "tippy" as i hear this term all the time and i dont know yet what characteristics would affect its tippyness!

Thanks very much for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #35989 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic advice on Spec Skis please
If the Carbonology is 460 wide it is NOT a spec ski. The concept of a spec ski are the specifications and believe it or not one of those is a width of 480mm!
The following user(s) said Thank You: paddlepop71

More
4 years 1 month ago #35991 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic advice on Spec Skis please
Ranga is correct, that 480 is min width to be considered Life Saving South Africa approved, which Carbonology Sport’s website says it is.  Yet they also state 460.  Confusing.  I assume 460 is a mistake?  Surely it is actually 480 like all the rest. Regardless, my experience with spec skis is they are, in general, tippy.  This is due to sitting high, which gives you more leverage and quickness.  The modern spec skis tend to offer more stable deep seat versions, so certainly get that if new to the sport.  Instead of getting the LS, I opted for the more stable Fenn Tarpon S, deep seat.  It is very stable.  Probably better suited for heavier paddlers vs LS.  My thinking is the only time I will really use my spec ski is when it is rough.  When it is rough, I want stability.  I do not know about CS Surf, but I am sure it is fine.  Ask CS if 460 is misprint.  Good luck.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
The following user(s) said Thank You: paddlepop71

Latest Forum Topics