Surfski reviews I'd like to see-2020

More
4 years 5 days ago #36367 by Steve Hansen
Now that we have so much time on our hands with COVID-19 shutting the world down, how about some ski reviews from the world wide community ? Here are a few I'd like to see: Nordic Kayaks, Ozean, and Mazu. Is Revo no more ? It would be great to hear about some of these more 'exotic' boats. I always find reviews more helpful if the reviewer starts with some personal background: Age, weight, height, years paddling and skill level, where you paddle, other boats paddled, etc. Are there others I've missed ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 days ago #36375 by Tinus
I paddled Sipre surfskis in Lanzarote this year. I might write about that. 

Nelo 560, 600

More
4 years 4 days ago #36377 by Steve Hansen
Please do and tell us about paddling in Lanzarote, Canary Islands !

More
4 years 4 days ago #36379 by Epicpaddler
I'd love to see more reviews of the Kai Bartlett designed Vega and Vega flex. I'm waiting for the lockdown to lift so I can check out the Vega line up when they arrive at the nearest dealer sometime in May. I'm interested to see how they compare to the Gen 3 Epic v10.

More
4 years 4 days ago - 4 years 4 days ago #36383 by zachhandler

Epicpaddler wrote: I'd love to see more reviews of the Kai Bartlett designed Vega and Vega flex. I'm waiting for the lockdown to lift so I can check out the Vega line up when they arrive at the nearest dealer sometime in May. I'm interested to see how they compare to the Gen 3 Epic v10.

i own a vega and have a friend who owns both. They both surf well but Vega surfs better. V10g3 has better ergonomics for delivering power with a much higher seat. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 4 years 4 days ago by zachhandler.

More
4 years 4 days ago #36384 by DrA5
Revo 3

More
4 years 4 days ago #36386 by zachhandler
Epic K1T

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
4 years 4 days ago - 4 years 3 days ago #36389 by waverider

zachhandler wrote: Epic K1T

Wasnt aware of that one, I have an epic legacy XL and wondered what a ski version would be like so I can remount rather than being stuck close to river banks

Quick google found this

Last edit: 4 years 3 days ago by waverider.

More
4 years 3 days ago #36391 by LaPerouseBay
If I'm not mistaken, the paddler "Nic" only has one leg.  I had a quick look at his channel.  Wow, as if K1 wasn't tough enough...  Mad skills on that guy.  He's probably a veteran, he looks young.  For anyone not familiar with that accent, those guys are from the southern US.  

downwind dilettante

More
4 years 2 days ago #36408 by zachhandler

LaPerouseBay wrote: If I'm not mistaken, the paddler "Nic" only has one leg.  I had a quick look at his channel.  Wow, as if K1 wasn't tough enough...  Mad skills on that guy.  He's probably a veteran, he looks young.  For anyone not familiar with that accent, those guys are from the southern US.  

here he is moving a k1 with one leg faster than I can do with two:

More
4 years 1 day ago - 4 years 1 day ago #36410 by Steve Hansen
Interesting, thanks for posting that second video. I also paddle with one leg (and half a pelvis). I don't paddle a K1 (although I have), but my experience in a surfski is that as long as the water is flat, paddling a tippy  boat is no different in terms of stability. You either have that skill or you don't. Where it gets tricky is rough water. It's impressive that he can get up to 10 mph, especially with limited leg drive.
Last edit: 4 years 1 day ago by Steve Hansen.

More
4 years 1 day ago #36413 by Joseph Di Chiacchio

zachhandler wrote:

LaPerouseBay wrote: If I'm not mistaken, the paddler "Nic" only has one leg.  I had a quick look at his channel.  Wow, as if K1 wasn't tough enough...  Mad skills on that guy.  He's probably a veteran, he looks young.  For anyone not familiar with that accent, those guys are from the southern US.  

here he is moving a k1 with one leg faster than I can do with two:

Even more impressive is that he hits these speeds on a para boat at 17 feet long and 20 inches wide.
The guy is a beast--routinely beats top-level paddlers. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: waverider

More
4 years 1 day ago #36414 by zachhandler
Wow steve. I can’t quite wrap my head around how you guys do that. Very impressive!

More
4 years 1 day ago #36415 by Steve Hansen
Thanks Zach. I lost my leg and half my pelvic bones eight years ago to sarcoma cancer. It's been a wild roller coaster ride for sure. My biggest issue with paddling is comfort: pressure on my one remaining ischium and lower back muscle imbalance. Swimming has been a revelation for me, it's my physical therapy. I'm really missing swimming now with the Corona virus shutdown. My paddling isn't what it use to be and not always pain free but I'm happy just to be out on the water. What I really miss though is skate SKIING ! Cheers. Here's a photo of my boat set-up in a Huki XL. Gets a bit sketchy in rough water.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: waverider

More
4 years 16 hours ago #36419 by tve

Epicpaddler wrote: I'd love to see more reviews of the Kai Bartlett designed Vega and Vega flex. I'm waiting for the lockdown to lift so I can check out the Vega line up when they arrive at the nearest dealer sometime in May. I'm interested to see how they compare to the Gen 3 Epic v10.

For the past ~5 months I've been looking to upgrade from a Nelo 550 for DW and spent many hours in a V12, some in a V10g3, and did one short outing in an Elite S and a Vega. I ended up buying a V10g3. I can enjoy the V12 in moderate DW conditions, but I always find it twitchy: gotta be on my guard at all times. I put the Elite S and Vega into the same instability category: if I relax I take a swim, or more importantly, I can enjoy those boats when everything goes well but I need something more stable if/when shit happens. The V10g3 is very different, not much less stable than the 550, much more stable than a V12. Has a character very similar to the V12 in the waves but turns almost as well as a 550. I can't comment on how the Vega compares in a DW, I did like the overall finish of the boat, though. Hope this helps some.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Hansen

More
4 years 9 hours ago #36421 by Epicpaddler
Thanks,

That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Without the ability to demo multiple brands of boats, I have to rely on first hand accounts. I've paddled the Epic gen 2 v10 on flatwater, so that was my only experience with a more advanced ski than my v8pro. I feel like I've mastered the v8pro in any conditions and have paddled all week in small craft advisory conditions. I like downwind paddling, but legit downwind conditions around here are rare. I'm looking for something a little faster for racing, that can still handle 2-3' chop without issue.

More
4 years 5 hours ago #36422 by tve
Flatwater & chop, hmmm, very different optimization problem from mine! Some random thoughts:

- I would not hesitate using an elite ski (V12, Elite S, Vega) in those conditions from a safety point of view (ok, perhaps it's not cool to go for a swim right in front of an approaching motor boat...); but they may be really maddening. The worst outings in the V12 for me have been with small waves from the side or 3/4 rear: I can't do anything productive with them, they just require constant balancing, bracing, etc. and ruin any rhythm. (Guys around here that have been on a V12 for a decade also hate those conditions but of course they do much better than I do.)

- I'm not convinced about the V10g3 in flatwater conditions but I can't really tell yet, I just haven't had flat-enough water to measure anything. I bought it for DW after all :-). The 550 feels much better in flat, more like a K1. If I had to pick, I'd pick the V12 even though it's not a flatwater machine either, but it does run and has the best ergonomics for me. YMMV!

- If there is any way you can bribe, beg, or pay someone to lend you an elite boat for a week do it! It would be money well spent! I had the great fortune of being able to borrow a V12 for months (owner on sabbatical and very, very kind) and it's been eye-opening and money-saving. My first session impression was "I didn't fall in but this thing is impossible!". I also did a lot of practice remounts to get to a point where I feel confident in them and could go out in bigger conditions to actually experience the boat in a DW. So it took a while (more than a week!) to get out in "benchmark" conditions and get a feel for what I might be able to learn, vs. what will always remain problematic, vs. what is enjoyable and what is just a PITA, vs. what the safety implications are. (BTW, Epic classifies the V10 as "elite" but there is a significant stability step between it and the V12/Elite-S/Vega.)

Good luck and enjoy the selection process!

More
4 years 3 hours ago #36425 by Epicpaddler
Thanks again for the insight.
You're not the first person who's recommended the v12 for my needs. If I can keep my v8pro for winter or rough ocean paddling I will. The v10 or v12 would be used as my "go fast' boat for flatwater races. We never have "flat" water, but most local race are on rivers or bays. Since almost every race I normally do has been postponed or cancelled I'm kind of at loss training. I still paddle at least a 100 miles per month, but my interval training has slacked off since the corona killed the race circuit.

But, back on topic--please review more boats.... I just like reading about surfski stuff:)

More
3 years 11 months ago #36440 by tve

Epicpaddler wrote: Thanks again for the insight.
You're not the first person who's recommended the v12 for my needs.

Just to clarify, I'm not recommending a V12 for your needs, maybe you got that from me writing "If I had to pick, I'd pick the V12" but that was just "from the three boats I mentioned". I believe there are advanced intermediate boats that are designed a bit more for flatwater in which you will be faster and more stable, and that will also provide you more fun the occasional time your get into big ocean waves. I just can't name any from experience.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36469 by brady411
I’m 6’2” 180lbs live in Hawaii and normally paddle an Elite S.
I paddled the Vega a few times all downwind in 20-25kt winds. Of course I love the weight at being around 19-20lbs and still being a solid, strong boat. The lack of weight and a good amount of volume in the nose allows you to go and over bumps extremely easy. Also, the stability of it wasn’t a problem for me. I have been putting two pads in my boat’s lately because of a hip issue and even with that I didn’t have any issues being tippy. There are a few features I didn’t like though. I have a DK rudder on my Elite S and love it, especially on big days but the Vegas rudder was too small in my opinion. I think Kai took it straight off his canoes and adapted to the ski. It wasn’t hard to spin out using the stock rudder. Also, the drain doesn’t pull water out nearly fast enough, it needs a completely new redesign. The last issue I found was that I wish there was a little more volume in the tail to help with paddling in flat water. Once the bumps spread out of you’re in completely flat water I tended to drop in speed compared to the other people I was paddling with. Overall it was a very nice ski only with a few minor faults.

Latest Forum Topics