Community advice on new boat

More
3 years 10 months ago #36765 by 1932023550378760@facebook
So I've been paddling my Stellar SEI for 3 years now and have been bumping up the stability training with seat pads, currently sitting at 30mm high. I'm 183cm high and float between 94-102kg. Most of my water time is flat water.

What does the community have in advice for stepping up to a higher class ski? I won't be getting rid of my Stellar regardless as I'd always fall back to it on a rough day or for ocean stuff. (At least for the first 6months)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #36766 by waverider
Are looking to buy new, and are there any dealers in your area that you can organise a try out? If you are keeping the SEI and have already started upping the instability you may be able to looking at something like  a fenn elite maybe? Given you are thinking of flat water use.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by waverider.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 10 months ago #36770 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Community advice on new boat
Ya, if you're in a 45/46cm beam boat like the SEI, the only place to go is an elite level 43cm boat available from any mfg.

Since you say you mostly paddle flat water, an elite boat with less rocker may be a good choice. some that come to mind are older Epic's with high numbers (Ooold V10's from pre-2010, Gen 1 V12, Stellar SEL, Fenn Elite Glide, Nelo 560 (least stable among the bunch from what I hear) plus others.

I personally prefer a 45cm boat for the ocean, just because you can relax a little. 43cm boats require attention at all times in any waves. 45cm allows you to relax in small and medium conditions. Just something to consider

More
3 years 10 months ago #36776 by mcnye1
Replied by mcnye1 on topic Community advice on new boat
If you are a "Stellar" guy, you should at least try the SEA.  On flat water, I am a solid 20 seconds per mile faster in the SEA than in my SEI (2G).  The higher sided bucket takes a bit of getting used to.
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #36782 by 1932023550378760@facebook
It doesn't seem any suppliers within 4-5 of hours of me stock the SEA.

I was thinking of something like an Uno Max gen3. Not as tippy as the V14 but still up there and would possibly be the last boat I'd buy for many a year to come. Still in my 30's so I've got plenty of time left. I would say that condition wise my regular paddles are on glasslike conditions for a good 70% and the rest you couldn't say it 'blows up'.

I've never been much for the Fenns the shape of the buckets and leg well just turns me off. And can't say I've ever had much time in anything but my own SEI.

First boat was a fishing barge of a kayak, moved to the SEI from that. I am going to ask around the suppliers to see if try outs are possible and what they have to try out.

I was introduced to the NK 640 today. Can't say I was disappointed with it at 9kg and its lines.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by 1932023550378760@facebook.

Latest Forum Topics