Nelo 550L as first surfski, transitioning from sea kayaks

More
3 years 8 months ago #37072 by tve
I don't think inseam is the right measure, my 550 M/L is plenty long but the bucket is not very wide. You want to check hip width for which waist size is probably the best proxy. I would say that the M/L gets tight above a 34" waist, but YMMV!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #37073 by Arcturus
You like surfing, rock gardening, and rolling—you’ll probably do fine with a ski.

I use a trailer to transport my ski since it is easier than me trying to rooftop on a 4WD truck topper. The hardest thing is going to be carrying the ski to and from the water on a good wind day. 17’ weathervane, nothing but hard surfaces (rocks, packed dirt, concrete)  to drop a boat on...gulp.

There are two instructors at Nelo USA west coast. The person who taught me was Maggie, whom I would go back to again, yes.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37132 by Paddle California
Hi All
The new 550 is different to the original.
It is definitely more stable! Out of all the models for 2020, this has to be the best change. It is not only more stable, but it is faster and surfs better. So much so, that although I have always raced the 560 I am getting a 550 ML for RACING!
I have a video up on YouTube with me in it a few weeks ago in the Gorge - link here:

I tested the whole new range in the Gorge, in medium to very windy days, and there really was not much speed difference between the 560 and the 550. However the extra stability of 550, and it's amazing surfing made me change my mind about my race boat!
The whole 2020 range is different, not just on speed and agility, but also sizing. I did not fit in the 550ML (leg length) or 550 (leg length and width of seat) but I fit in the 550 L now. My body weight puts me in the 550 ML but I am also fine in L.
Best as always is to try before you buy :)
The 540 and the 520 are similar in stability.

Hope that helps!
- Michele

Latest Forum Topics