New to Surfski, need help with boat choice

More
2 years 10 months ago #38422 by MMaister
I just ordered a set, I will let you know when I get it. Acc. to the video it doesn`t have any self-adhesive on its back but 2-comp. epoxy glue is recommended by nelo. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #38469 by MMaister
Is it normal that the bailer leaks a bit in closed setting?

More
2 years 10 months ago #38471 by mrcharly
I thought my nelo bailer leaked while closed and it really annoyed me.

Then one day I noticed it wasn't leaking. Terrific!

A bit later it started to leak.  What was going on?

Turns out that a slight tap/nudge is enough to make the bailer open a crack - it looks closed, but is leaking.
Firmly push it closed and it is watertight.

More
2 years 10 months ago #38473 by M.v.E.
The reason for the leaking DeBrito-Bailer lies in the insufficient gasket material. This is what I wrote 5 months ago regarding this topic:

After experimenting with different gaskets for my leaking DeBrito-Bailer I finally found a material that works.
It´s made of EVA foam (Ethlene Vinyl Acetate) They make insulation matresses out of it.
So far I had only had two training sessions with it but even after one
hour of paddling with the bailer closed the footwell was still dry. So
that´s a big improvement. I hope it will stay like this.

After 5 months and hundreds of kilometers my bailer is still reasonably watertight. There is approx. a cup full of water in the footwell after one hour of paddling which is a great improvement over the original gasket.
Of course this is only relevant for people like me who are paddling in very cold and calm water during the wintertime.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
2 years 10 months ago #38476 by lars eriksson
Do you have a more specifik make/name/supplier for the EVA foam that you successfully use with the De Brito bailer?

More
2 years 10 months ago #38477 by M.v.E.

lars eriksson wrote: Do you have a more specifik make/name/supplier for the EVA foam that you successfully use with the De Brito bailer?

Where are you located? In Europe you can order the material here:
www.extremtextil.de/en/evazote-ev-50-4mm-sheet.html
Unfortunately they only sell it in sheets 200 x 100 cm !! In my city there is a shop nearby who specializes in all kinds of foam. Sometimes they sell small leftover pieces.

More
2 years 10 months ago #38478 by MMaister
Well as much I could see the leakage of the bailer is not around its frame (there they used some sort of black glue) but through the valve itself.  Do you propose that this EVA foam should be installed inside the valve somewhere?

One small annoying thing I found today. The signplate is obviously not watertight and the cheap printed ID text behind the plastic layer started to melt away only after a few trips. I am afraid it will be a mess in a short time and the ID wont be readable. 
File Attachment:

More
2 years 10 months ago #38479 by M.v.E.
Sorry if it gets a bit off topic here.The issue with the leaking De Brito Bailer was covered extensively in an older thread here: www.surfski.info/forum/2-announcements/19378-debrito-leak.html
In my experience it comes from the gasket/seal itself. The original material of the gasket (neoprene?) wears down very quickly due to compression of the bailer. The EVA material that I use has a better elasticity.
Fortunately the replacement of the gasket is pretty easy. There are instructional videos in the older thread.
There used to be a template for printing on the De Brito website but I can´t find it anymore. 

Latest Forum Topics