Plug for round hole at stern?

More
3 years 7 months ago #37210 by Morten
Hi all

Coming from paddling sea kayak for many years, I have just bought my first surfski: a second hand Honcho Oceans Pro.
Yesterday I had my first go in it and fell in quite few times in the surf - great fun, but hard to handle at only 43 cm wide compared to my 51 cm sea kayak :-)
As I lifted the surfski out of the water, I noticed quite a lot of water inside the hull. Was able to drain it through the round hole drilled at the very top of the stern. Am I right in assuming that there is supposed to be a small rubber plug in this hole when I am out on the water?

Best regards, Morten

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37212 by [email protected]
Hey Morten!

Welcome to surfski!

Yep, absolutely, you need a plug in that hole...

The Oceans Pro is a very tippy boat, just so that you're aware - and surfski paddling definitely doesn't need to be that difficult!  So it's awesome that you're having fun in the boat, but you have definitely chosen not to make your life easy!

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 7 months ago #37214 by Morten
Hi Rob, thanks for your swift and welcoming reply!
I will go looking for a suitable plug then.
As I live in an area where virtually no one uses surfskis I jumped at the chance, when someone had one up for sale at a quarter of the price for a new one. I realise this is an older model and the tippiness is something I am willing to deal with - guess it will give me a chance to hone my bracing skills :-)

Best regards, Morten

More
3 years 7 months ago #37215 by CrabStick
I think that is Robin's polite way of saying that playing in waves in a 43cm boat normally takes about 5 (give or take 3) years of ski paddling! I'll get in ahead of the chorus and recommend something in 48-50 cm width.
Please be very wary of catching waves straight in (perpendicular) towards the beach or anything that is big and dumping. Doesn't end well.

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S

More
3 years 7 months ago #37216 by [email protected]
Haha - you're just going old school - when I started, there were essentially no "intermediate" boats - it was either beginner boats or extremely tippy ocean racing skis!  Then the Epic V10 came along and changed everything.

I had a thing called an ICON - the tippiest boat on the ocean...  I nearly gave up paddling because of it - spent 18months trying to get used to it.  Then I got hold of a battered demo V10 for half a season and the love came back into surfski paddling...  Fenn Mako6 after I had to give the V10 back, and I never looked back.

But the best boat is the one you've got with you!

Enjoy!

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #37217 by Morten
Hi Crabstick, thanks for chiming in. Surf is off course relative - no 10 foot swells coming in from the ocean where I live, but 2 foot onshore wind waves the other day. Will make sure I don’t get in over my head in the types of rough conditions that I see surfski was originally developed for. I am used to surfing in my sea kayak and agree with you, that one needs to respect the force of the waves.
Price and availability made me get this one. If it gets to steep a learning curve I could probably sell it for the same price and look for an easier surfski. Will see how it goes... and thanks again for your advice!

Best regards, Morten
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Morten.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37218 by zachhandler
Morten - while searching for a rubber plug just put a piece of tape over the hole in the mean time. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morten

More
3 years 7 months ago #37219 by [email protected]

zachhandler wrote: Morten - while searching for a rubber plug just put a piece of tape over the hole in the mean time. 

Good point - in fact quite a few people here do just that - use duct tape over the hole instead of a plug.

Rob

The following user(s) said Thank You: Morten

More
3 years 7 months ago #37220 by LaPerouseBay
Vent holes are not only for draining water. 

Zach and Robin are well aware of this.  Probably just an oversight not to mention it.  

Vent holes relieve air pressure imbalances.  (Warm boat going into cold water, vice versa).  Taping a hull airtight can cause damage.  That's why manufacturers don't have solid plugs.  They are all vented in some fashion.  

Some climates are more forgiving than others, but boats have been ruined due to a plugged vent hole.  

If you tape it up tight, consider poking a tiny hole in the tape.  Enough to allow air pressure equalize.  I've seen outrigger hulls collapse like a smashed tin can due to a kinked vent tube. 

downwind dilettante

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #37221 by Morten
Good point - I will make sure to make a small pinsize hole in the duct tape, when applying it, and see if I can find some sort of pressure-valve equipped plug.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Morten.

Latest Forum Topics