Fennix Elite S v Elite S - any reviews?

More
3 years 5 months ago #37557 by [email protected]
Has anyone seen or done any reviews comparing the Fennix Elite S with the Elite S?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37765 by Dratz
Great question! I believe a few container loads of the new Fennix boats have made their way around the globe..... anyone had a play yet?

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
3 years 4 months ago #37800 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Fennix Elite S v Elite S - any reviews?
Saw some feedback from Dean Gardiner on his Oceanpaddler facebook page that the Fennix Elite S has a different seat and more rocker.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37802 by [email protected]
I've not been able to try the Fennix Elite S yet, but found it interesting that a buddy who upgraded from the Swordfish S, to the Fennix Swordfish S sold it and bought the Fennix Elite S instead - and loves it. 

He says that he felt tippy in the Fennix Swordfish S, but is more comfortable in the Fennix Elite S.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 4 months ago #37805 by [email protected]
Another buddy just bought the Fennix Elite S, having had the Elite S before.

He says:

I wanted a full carbon boat and they don’t make the old elites s anymore as moulds were burnt . Having taken the plunge it turns out to be a great choice . It’s a totally different feel . Main differences- it’s more stable and forgiving , slightly more rocker and flatter hull aft taking away some of the twitch of old elite . A  little narrower in front ,  with more volume . With slightly more rocker to loosen it up for downwind which makes it a lot more manoeuvrable. The rails are higher which results in a much dryer ride . Better control and more playful given the changes . Not sure if I’m any faster but enjoying it more !

Also the nose doesn’t bury as much , pops quicker

Rob

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
3 years 4 months ago #37817 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Fennix Elite S v Elite S - any reviews?
Thanks Rob, sounds like a great ski, spoke to a local dealer and he advised they are also making available an 8 kg honeycomb version.

Also found this from Ocean Paddlesports facebook page-

Hood river downwind in the new Fennix Elite S was absolutely amazing . I did 2 runs through swell city with about 25 mph wind and 3-5 swell .. not huge but some big drops and really long runs . My first impression was that the ski is more stable than the old elite s, the bow has been changed and has a little less volume . The ski jumps onto runs quicker and responds and turns faster , which really helps changing direction to follow the wave. It doesn’t feel like a 21’ ski , more like a 19’ ski the way it maneuvers .
The seat had been changed and is more comfortable for me , it also forces me to sit up straight which in turn gives me more power and rotation .
Once again Fenn has nailed it with this ski and I’m positive that many elite racers will chose the new EliteS to keep winning the big downwind races.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
3 years 4 months ago #37853 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Fennix Elite S v Elite S - any reviews?

robin.mousley wrote: Another buddy just bought the Fennix Elite S, having had the Elite S before.

He says:

The rails are higher which results in a much dryer ride . 

Did he say what it was like to remount?

More
3 years 4 months ago #37864 by [email protected]

Did he say what it was like to remount?

I asked him and he said:

I haven’t as I haven’t taken a swim ! ?

But, in reference to his brother:

Brett has ..... says no problem

For what it's worth!

Rob

More
3 years 4 months ago #37865 by ninHendo
It's crazy there isn't much info out there. I had to demo the old Elite S and purchased the Fennix in hopes not much has changed. And I'm assuming a few people will be in the same boat.

Well, my boat arrived and I've filmed a bunch of different angles in the hopes it can help someone.

The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected], Steve Hansen, Watto, Atlas, mcbit

More
3 years 3 months ago #37894 by zachhandler
Thanks for the review! I look forward to your next one.  You are right about the lack of online info about new Fenn models. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: ninHendo

More
3 years 3 months ago #37924 by Dratz
Looks like you’ve put together a few vids now. (Nice work BTW!)
Any impressions starting to form on the Fennix vs Fenn?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ninHendo

More
3 years 3 months ago #37925 by ninHendo

Dratz wrote: Any impressions starting to form on the Fennix vs Fenn?

Why would I tell you now and risk fewer video views? :)

I can't fault it. I did a big downwind maybe a week ago and left the camera at home. The part that really stood out is how maneuverable it is. I came from a 1st gen SES and that was my biggest issue, no turning. This afternoon coming in I got on a screamer, something I would have never of done on the SES. I was confident I could keep it straight, and confidence is a big thing in this sport.

It's really fast. Seems to be able to jump over onto the next wave easily. I think it's a winner. I feel like it's my fastest boat.

As I have said, I never owned the older Elite S. But I felt the older boat when pushing out over waves, would land more gracefully. Where this one seems to slap down more. A result of the flatter bottom, (and more stability) I'm guessing. It's not a massive slap compared to other boats, it's just something I noticed on the older boat. The only downside I can find. If you call that a downside.

More
3 years 3 months ago #37932 by CrabStick
There's a YouTube video by Daz called Fennix Elite S - first paddle for some more impressions on the Fennix by a very good Perth downwinder who is is usually in the previous EliteS. Open the comment replies to see more....

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S

• BigFish
  • Visitor
3 years 3 months ago #37938 by BigFish
Replied by BigFish on topic Fennix Elite S v Elite S - any reviews?
I've been paddling an earlier model Elite S for about a year now. I recently tried a newer model Elite S (but pre Fennix) and note there is a newer bucket they have moved to. The newer one is wider and flatter across the back with a ridge you can see in the middle looking at it - presumably this is to accommodate larger paddlers but it really didn't work for me - offering little support and grinding down the area around my tail bone! I believe the Fennix model has a similarly wider seat with a flatter back.

More
3 years 2 months ago #38063 by ND
The new seat of the Fennix Elite S did not work for me too. I've added a seat pad and will try it tomorrow.
But it surfs better than the old Elite S.

More
3 years 2 months ago #38065 by Dratz
ND, was the issue also the width of the new bucket tapering in at the bottom and pinching the hip bones?
Let us know how the pad works. 

More
3 years 2 months ago #38066 by ND
Yeah if I want to 'relax' (lay back) on a wave during a DW, it would pinch on every paddle so I would need to move forward.
The seat of the old elite S was very good for me.
I did not like the seat pad so I removed it (mine was way to high and there is not much other option here in Tahiti).

More
3 years 2 months ago #38068 by Dratz
Regarding seats I just posted some thoughts on the Fennix spark forum. 

More
3 years 1 month ago #38217 by Bevinator
I think the rails are high at the front,is a very dry ride,but I they must be lower at the seat as I find the fennix easier to remount .
The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler, Rod Thomas

Latest Forum Topics