Anyone has experience with the Burton Wedge Surfski

More
2 years 9 months ago #38681 by RickPPC
I am a newbie, although with experience with 17' sea kayaks. I'd like insights about how stable is the Burton Wedge Surfski for a rookie.
Thanks,
Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #38689 by Ranga
Try before you buy.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
2 years 9 months ago #38690 by MCImes
I have never paddled one, but they are frequently for sale cheap in southern california, like $400.
If they are anyhting like most older skis, the shallow bucket means they are much more tippy for a given beam. This is just a simple fact of your COG being higher. Most new boats have deep bucket, some flat spot near the center of the hull, and are thus more stable for a given beam.

Like Ranga recommends, the leg length needs to be perfect and the stability needs to be manageable. Its an older boat design that has been surpassed by all modern boats. If its the only ski around you or all you can afford, its worth looking at. But if you have access to more modern boats, I would recommend something more recent as they perform better in nearly every way.

More
2 years 9 months ago #38694 by RickPPC
Thank you all for the advice. I'll take to hear and wait for a more modern ski. As of now the surfski market in NY is not that hot.

Latest Forum Topics