Spec Surf Ski - Most Stable/Comfortable

More
2 years 1 month ago #39557 by joshua.barton1
Of people out there, in their opinion what’s the most comfortable and stable spec Surfski about?
Why are Spec Surfskis so tippy?
How long should it take to master one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #39560 by mickeyA
I am not sure why most spec skis are so unstable, other than they are for racing, thus are mostly used by experienced paddlers who need that extra leverage by sitting high, leaning forward, if they want to compete.  I have two specs.  The Findeisen Stinger is very tippy, barely anything carved out for seat.  I need clean conditions (not flat since in the surf) to use it. My Fenn Tarpon S, on the other hand, is very stable because of the deep seat. I’m not sure if Fenn makes the Tarpon anymore after the fire, but it is stable (the deep seat version).  There used to be a Hayden Fatboy that was known to be very stable, but not sure if they are still made.  There are other stable specs with relatively deep seats.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

• Goldschmidt
  • Visitor
2 years 1 month ago #39561 by Goldschmidt
Replied by Goldschmidt on topic Spec Surf Ski - Most Stable/Comfortable
Hi Josh and welcome to the best surfski forum.

I am a long time forum lurker, but notice your interest in spec skis and an iconic Australian brand. My assumption is you live close to the coast in Australia, where there is a plethora of experienced spec ski paddlers really happy to share their knowledge.

I would suggest that you join your local surfclub and find out when the 'old' guys paddle (before winter comes around, water temperature drops and daylight savings is turned off (more daylight before work)). You'd be surprised how welcoming the 'old salts' are and there are often spare/old skis that are languishing in the surf club's ski storage or members' garages.

Once you've mastered an old and outdated spec ski, tried the club's adjustable ski (set aside for ex-nippers who aspire to compete) and tried your new mates' skis... you'll be ready to get your own fixed leg-length ski.

Same applies for your paddle (blade brand, size and design in addition to shaft legth, colour and stiffness).

My experience was to use a train on a Burton Wedge ski, progress to a ~20 year old Spectrum and finally buy my own new Dolphin Drive.

Have a great journey and see you on the water in the waves.

Nathan

Latest Forum Topics