I'm positive i want this ski.....or maybe this one

More
15 years 8 months ago #2379 by sinjin
I was set to get an ex demo Mako 6 carbon when a misunderstanding with an agent made we miss out on the deal.
So i have been trying to get a good used Carbon mako6 when i found out that a new Kevlar Think legend costs not much more and a really good Carbon mako 6.
The thing is just about all reviews i have read about the Legend have been on flat water and i can't seem to find write up's when the going gets rough.
So my question is, has anyone owned a carbon mako 6 and then tried the Legend. The other question is that Think make the Ski in 3 types, F/glass, Kevlar, and Carbon.
The weight difference between the Kevlar and the Carbon is small compared the the Kevlar and F/glass.
So what would influence your choice between the Kevlar and the Carbon ski.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2410 by mikefitz
I own a Carbon Mako 6, and have tried a Legend in a choppy tidal current.
I really like the Mako 6. It was the only boat I could find that fit my backside. I find it stable, fast, and fun in swell.
The legend also seemed to fit me well. The seat is different, I felt less slouched, and the knee bump appeared lower, or maybe the seat higher. Anyway it was comfortable and seemed to put me in an efficient position.
It seems to have less volume than the Mako 6, for me, a lightweight this was good.
In swell it was stable and picked up the runs nicely. It tracks better than the Mako 6, but doesn't turn as well (smaller rudder).
I hunted around for challenging water and couldn't find any fault with the Legend. However, that's pretty much the way I feel about the Mako 6.
If I was looking for a new boat, I would test them in a time trial. For me they are both stable, fun, and capable in rough water.
I think it was a glass boat I used, but it didn't feel heavy. I would get a light one because I'm a wimp carrying these things around.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2412 by Will Hardman
I have owned a Legend 12kg for a few months now and tried the Mako 6 before I purchased. The Mako 6 is a fast ski no doubt about it, but is really quite tippy. I am relatively new to the sport of paddling (3 years) and found the Legend perfect for me. It is just as fast if not faster in the 'big stuff' because you do not miss a stroke due to bracing. If your putting power on every stroke you dont 'just' miss the runner and you link up the runs. Simple really.

If i had my time over again i would start out with the most stable boat I could get my hands on to learn technique before I went for a fast/modern ski.

Hope this helps.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
15 years 7 months ago #2413 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re:I'm positive i want this ski.....or maybe this
If i had my time over again i would start out with the most stable boat I could get my hands on to learn technique before I went for a fast/modern ski.

I absolutely agree, why wobble around the ocean when you can get a boat that is 5% slower and increase your enjoyment by 100%? Then when you are ready to get a tippy ski buy one cheap and new from someone who has just made the mistake of getting a 'fast' ski.

I have gone from Millenium to Mako6 to Epic V10 Sport and increased my enjoyment with each move.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2414 by sinjin
Hi guys and thanks for your imput. I have just bought a 2nd hand carbon mako6. It was only a couple of months old so i figure i couldn't lose for the price.
Up to this point i have been a getting a few lessons on how to paddle properly on a plastic fantastic.
But i can understand why people like the carbon so much after helping others to carry glass skis to the water then carrying a couple of carbon skis. i know in the scheme of things the glass is on about 6-7 kg heavier but it just seems heaps when you paddle them through the water.
Anyway thanks for the all the advice.
Sinjin

Latest Forum Topics