Tomahawk Warrior

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #3200 by tom29
Tomahawk Warrior was created by tom29
Hi from NZ, i have just started surf ski paddling and for my first boat i have got a Tomahawk Warrior (Tom Mason design). So far so good and really enjoying it. I was just wondering if anyone knows any of the history of this particliuar boat/design and how it compares to more modern boats?

Thanks
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by tom29.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3272 by Mako
Replied by Mako on topic Re:Tomahawk Warrior
Hi Tom,

The Warrior was first produced as the 'Racer' at Fortuna Boat Builders in Cape Town reoundabout 1999/2000. The builder was Colin Bell. The surfski business was sold (messy)and the new owners renamed the Racer the 'Warrior'with Colin Bell still doing the manufacturing.

I had a 'Racer' and always felt I was a bit light for it 73kg's and sold it for a Millenium which I feel no need to change. Before I sold the racer I cut it up and radically reduced the rocker and was happy with the result but the increased weight due to the cutting etc probably offset any percieved speed improvement. There are a few heavier paddlers here that keep an eye open for them as they swear by them and as they are out of production now, hard to find too.

I was told at the time I bought mine that Tom Mason had designed the ski to deal with Durbans notorious (in ski terms) surf hence the pronounced rocker.

There's also a Tomahawk 'Cruiser' and 'Scout' one and the same and lastly an 'Arrow' with a very stiff hull and advanced construction which just happens to fit into a Millenium mould, I think. Only a couple of 'Arrows' were ever built.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3284 by tom29
Replied by tom29 on topic Re:Tomahawk Warrior
Hey thanks Mako, thats excelllent. Always good to learn a bit about your boat. Now i've just got to get good enough to take it out in what it was clearly designed for!!:woohoo:

Cheers

Latest Forum Topics