venturi size

More
14 years 5 months ago #3720 by postal256
venturi size was created by postal256
I just changed my Millennium over to a single footwell setup and took off the original venturis. I want to put a single venturi in the center (my heels are now on the bottom of the boat and the old venturis would've been too high if I left them in).

Can someone give me some general dimensions of an efficient single venturi (with bullet if possible)... I need to make one before the end of the week! I have a cnc machine so I can make whatever, just need some dimensions on something that is tried and true so I don't reinvent the wheel.

thanks,
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #3722 by jbrings
Replied by jbrings on topic Re:venturi size
Hi Eric. Why not just install an Andersen bailer used in salining dinghy's? Same as used in the Epic V12. Just buy and install. Has the major advantage that it can be opened and closed as required. Regards. J?rgen

More
14 years 5 months ago #3723 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re:venturi size
Hi Jurgen, I was going to do that and had even ordered one from one of them from pyacht.com. It would have been here in time, but after a couple weeks, they called to let me know that the US distributor no longer carried them or something, so I have no idea where to get one.

I need a drain for this weekend's race.. so I figure I can make a venturi and if I ever change to an Andersen bailer, it won't be a problem to make a bigger hole.

More
14 years 5 months ago #3724 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re:venturi size
Google Anderson Bailers and you will find suppliers around the world. They are not really expensive, but don't let some clerk sell you a substitute-even if stainless steel. You will want the smaller size.
Jim

More
14 years 5 months ago #3727 by jbrings
There is a venturi bullet set you can buy. Dale Lippstreu published an article on surfski.info.

Check out:

www.surfski.info/content/view/1027/99/

I think the kit may be available from Kayak Centre in Durban. Maybe you can give them a call unde +27 31 765 7041 or +27 31 765 2164

Also a self-made one by Dale under:

www.surfski.info/component/option,com_fi...imit,6/limitstart,6/

Hope this helps.

More
14 years 5 months ago #3728 by jbrings
PS: After checking out that article again it seems the kits is sold by Republic Sports. Contact Andre Botha

More
14 years 5 months ago #3729 by postal256
hey, thanks for the info. Problem is that I needed the venturi by tomorrow and live in Nowhere, USA. so I just went ahead and made one. I milled a mold and made a quick one from carbon. I made it slightly larger than the ones that were on the Millennium originally. It'll work well enough for now I think and maybe I can get the Andersen in time.. or make a bullet for it later.

thanks
Eric

More
14 years 5 months ago #3730 by jbrings
and I thought I live far away from the coast! :-)(Berlin, Germany) Good luck with the race/event. J?rgen

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #3731 by postal256
ha, I looked and there a city called Nowhere actually exists! I don't live there, but I do live about 400 miles from the coast which is sacrilegious to most surfski paddlers. But K1 on flatwater gets old and I like to surf behind the large towboats/barges. Near my house, you can ride a large towboat wake at 16kph for 40km if you felt like it.. but then you have to paddle back!! :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by postal256.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #3732 by postal256
here's the venturi cup I made last night. Used MDF for the mold and a plastic sandwich bag to vacuum mold it.

PS, Rob, I couldn't get the photo attachment to work, even with a really small jpg. I just linked it.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by postal256.

More
14 years 5 months ago #3736 by postal256
the venturi didn't drain as well as I liked, so last night I made a bullet. Tested it this morning and it definitely helped. Yesterday, I couldn't get 100% of the water out and today it is clear at 10kph and gurgles over 11kph. It could be much better and I plan on comparing it to some other drains at the race this weekend.

More
14 years 5 months ago #3737 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:venturi size
We have the Red7 Bullet Scupper kits available as of now...
Still working out the costs but it looks like around $12 per set.

We'll have them in the shop by early next week.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 5 months ago #3740 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:venturi size

We'll have them in the shop by early next week.

great news, save some for me B)

More
14 years 5 months ago #3800 by wmongie
Replied by wmongie on topic Re:venturi size
You ready to start taking orders yet Rob? I'm desperate for a set as my old scuppers both came off after a small wind related incident last night!

Latest Forum Topics