EPIC V10L question

More
14 years 1 month ago #4125 by pineclone
EPIC V10L question was created by pineclone
Hello! I'm in search of a new ski, and have been paddling a Valhalla Victory for about 12 years. I paddle mostly flat water (rivers, lakes). I'm interested in speed more than stability, as i'm very confident in my boat, even in rapids. And i'm making an assumption that most of the newer skis are faster than my old Victory (correct??).

I think the best boat for me would be a V10 (but i'm VERY open to suggestions). Budget-wise, i'm looking for something used. I know of a V10L that is for sale, but i'm 6'3", 180lbs. I can barely squeeze into my Victory if i'm wearing anything on my feet larger than wool socks (i usually wear a flimsy water shoe). The advantage of the V10L to me is that my 9-year-old son loves to paddle my ski, but can't reach the rudder pedals. Its possible the V10L would come close. But i'd hate to push the limits of lengh for myself.

Suggestions appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4127 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: EPIC V10L question
I'm the same height but fairly long in the legs.
In a V10 sport and a V12 I jam the foot plate out as long as it will go.
Th V12 is shorter and I have to raise my knees enough that it makes it feel a bit unstable sometimes.
I'm leaning towards a V10 now.
I doubt that you would fit in a V10l

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #4128 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: EPIC V10L question
Pineclone since yr open to a suggestion. The guy that did the review looks very tall and the Legend is definately a fast boat for the conditions you want to paddle in.

www.surfski.info/index.php?option=com_co...3:reviews&Itemid=100 :)
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by superted.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4129 by pineclone
Replied by pineclone on topic Re: EPIC V10L question
Can you put a kick-up rudder on a Legend?

More
14 years 1 month ago #4131 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: EPIC V10L question
Should'nt be a major problem.

www.onnopaddles.com/components.html

but prob email Pat

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #4145 by GregBarton
Replied by GregBarton on topic Re:EPIC V10L question
Epic offers an extra tall foot brace option which extends the length by 20mm in any of our boats. You use the end of the footwell as the foot brace and pedals sit up on top of that.

The only downside is that if you want to share the boat with a shorter paddler, you should change foot braces between paddlers. Otherwise the shorter paddler would not have heel support since the extra tall foot brace does not extend all the way to the bottom of the footwell.

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #4147 by pineclone
Replied by pineclone on topic Re:EPIC V10L question
Thanks for the idea. I think i'm going to go with the V10, and modify my old ski to fit my son.

Barton - i took a paddling course from you many years ago. I could barely keep my boat upright at the time, and your advise to me was, "More time in the boat". By golly, you were right!

Now to find a used V10 (with kick-up rudder).

Latest Forum Topics