Help me choose which Ski

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 2 days ago #4203 by pilbaralad
Help me choose which Ski was created by pilbaralad
Okay here's the deal, been paddling a V10 Sport for 12 months, just sold it today as I was bulletproof in it and looking for more speed.

My budget is mid range so I'm looking at a 2nd hand Carbon or similar (up to $2800)

I am 6 ft 2in and 86kg, very fit coming from Triathlon and wanting to do well in Adventure/multisport racing (ocean ski paddles of 14.5km)

Here are the boats I've paddled and my impressions.

Fenn XT - equivalent to V10 Sport (so not interested)
V10 - Comfy, fast and stable.
V10L - as above
V12 - Fast, primary tippy, secondary stable, unfortunately not likely to find 2nd hand one in price range.
Synergy Hybrid - Not unstable but not as stable as V10 for much the same speed. (Not interested)

There are a few boats for sale locally within my price range that I havent paddled..

Red 7 Surf pro (glass/kevlar)
Fenn Mako 6 Carbon (11kg)
Think Uno (12kg)

Would like thoughts on these boats or any others that I should look for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 day ago #4204 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
It all depends how much time you spend in the water. If you are only paddling a couple of times a week it is unlikely you will get enough boat time to be significantly faster in the uno. You will spend most of your time trying to stay upright. If you only paddle in flat conditions you will be faster, however I assume you are looking at doing the anaconda in Augusta etc, and if you cop any sort of sideshore wind you will have a miserable day.
The mako 6 is fast but not as good downwind as some boats and is a bugger to remount. They are probably the easiest boat to get hold off cos everyone is selling them to buy fenn elites.
The red7 is as quick as any of them but is heavy. It feels extremely stable downwind or into the wind but is twitchy in a sideshore. Very comfortable cockpit, bullet proof and the easiest ski to remount.
If you are only going to paddle a couple of times a week you can try a think legend (probably too expensive) or a stellar elite. Both these are more stable but still fast and available in wa. You will get better results faster in more variable conditions in a more stable boat.

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 1 day ago - 14 years 1 day ago #4205 by pilbaralad
Replied by pilbaralad on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
Cheers Dicko, you are on the money there, ;) most of my training is in a big loop, or out and back if it's really blowing, but usually only about 20% downwind, so I definately need something I can keep stable with cross chop and still put the power down.connect.garmin.com/activity/25008072

Seems like most of the reviews on here focus on downwind performance and as you know with Augusta, not likely to happen :unsure:

Thanks for thoughts and will get back to forum to report on how test paddles go (paddling the Fenn Mako 6 tomorrow) You mentioned them being available as people went to the Elite, why is this, more speed/more stability?

Hopefully it coming into the off season for Ocean Ski racing a few more boats might come into the market.
Last edit: 14 years 1 day ago by pilbaralad.

More
14 years 1 day ago #4206 by Dicko
The elite has the results on the board at the moment. Every big race seems to be won by someone paddling an elite. The mako 6 and the v10 are older designs and while still good boats there are a newer models coming onto the market that are better. The elite is the weapon of choice at the moment, but unless you are a seriously good paddler it is unlikely you will use it to its full potential. Try the stellar elite. You will get a lighter one for under 3 grand. I'm sure it was a stellar that won the dash for cash at the classic paddle in 25knot sideshore crap on the river last year, so it has a combo of speed and stability.
The trouble with doing adventure races is you have to run, ride and swim and time in the boat is limited by this. Stability is more important than you realise. I paddle every day and still struggle when it gets marginal. When you paddle the mako 6 on the river tomorrow it will feel pretty stable but this is deceiving. Try and paddle it sideways to the wind, cos in adventure racing the course is rarely downwind, and you need to understand how tippy these boats are on the ocean, especially downsouth where most races are held.

More
14 years 1 day ago - 14 years 1 day ago #4208 by superted
pilbaralad wrote:

My budget is mid range so I'm looking at a 2nd hand Carbon or similar (up to $2800)

Maybe a new Think Legend in glass 15kg @$2990. The Legend will be a fast ski in the conditions you describe considering yr lighter bodyweight with its bigger volume, plus it is a lot more stable especially when yr tired from the other legs.
Last edit: 14 years 1 day ago by superted.

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 1 day ago #4210 by pilbaralad
So I paddled the Mako 6 Carbon this arvo. At my local beach in 15-20 knot winds and about 1 foot shop ( got bigger the further you went off shore). Took it out and had my garmin set-up for 200 metre laps to get an idea of lap speed splits. First impression was that it as lively...but fast. I had the footplate set too far forward so I had no leg drive :ohmy: , the bucket is also wide for my hips so I didnt feel "attached' to the boat.

The first few hundred metres of protected water had me grinning with the speedo jumping to over 11km/hr even though I was still feeling my way with the boat :woohoo: . When i got into the chop she stayed around the 10-11km mark accept for when i had to brace (about every 20-25 strokes intially, then as I got going virtually not at all. Was about 1.5 km/hr quicker going upwind than my sport, couldnt see a marked difference downwind, was much more stable having the chop coming from 45 degrees to the front, when i turned and had the chop 45 degrees to my rear I had to brace or pause fairly regularly and then it happend, I went for a swim :silly: . Initially I was bummed but then I thought, well a good way to see how hard it is to remount her...much harder than the sport, would get my backside in and go over again, took me about 90 seconds to get going again :(

So if I paddled this boat in a river I would probably have made an offer straight up, but I ended up not impressed enough to just go for it, although I wont cross it off my list, I will try to get paddles in on the other boats mentioned/recommended before making the final decision.

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 1 day ago - 14 years 1 day ago #4211 by pilbaralad
superted wrote:

pilbaralad wrote:

Maybe a new Think Legend in glass 15kg @$2990. The Legend will be a fast ski in the conditions you describe considering yr lighter bodyweight with its bigger volume, plus it is a lot more stable especially when yr tired from the other legs.

Do you think :dry: this judgement by an owner is accurate?

Sandy wrote:

:dry: Been paddling a legend for about a year here in Socal. Flat water spped is fine ,prahps a bit slower than V-10 , Mako 6.

More
14 years 1 day ago #4212 by Zarb
Replied by Zarb on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
This is all quite interesting, as I was looking at a ski for the exact same purposes, mainly solo 24h adventure racing.

First boat I got my hands on was a Millenium, then a couple of weeks later I started using a Mako 6 to compare. Mako 6 was extremely stable, and seeing as I have only been paddling skis now for two weeks, it can only get more stable. I took the Mako 6 out into 2ft surf at one of Sydneys beaches on Saturday, and conditions were ridiculously choppy. But I had an absolute blast catching beach breaks and circling out and around the breakers (so I got chop from all directions all the time). Of course I am comparing this to the Millenium, which I am still getting used to, but the Mako 6 is definitely a very stable craft. Remounts I found were not too difficult once you get a few tries under your belt. Out of the very few times I had to remount that day in the surf, I was getting pounded by chop but still managed just fine.

MAJOR issue with the Mako 6 though I found, was the drainage. I am still only comparing it to the Millenium, as they are the only other skis I have ever paddled, but where the Millenium drains in a matter of seconds (with a satisfying slurping sound), the Mako 6 takes forever!

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 1 day ago - 14 years 1 day ago #4213 by pilbaralad
From everything I've read about the Milleneum almost any boat would seem stable compared to it :P

Was the Mako 6 a fibreglass or Carbon?

I am happy that this ski seems to do it for you, you will save a packet if you dont have to get a newer boat to find more stability with similar speed.

More
14 years 23 hours ago #4214 by thebigadski
Brett

Go and paddle a legend......for what you want to do I think (!!) you'll like it.
I paddled it in a race earlier this year (flat water) and was really impressed straight away with how it felt on-water.

Best of all I was really impressed with the build quality.

That's what made me choose the UNO......which I love !!
PS. the 2nd hand 1 on gear trade in Perth......that's what I purchased!!!

Time trials have started in Mandurah Wed nights......Mary St Lagoon.
Adam

More
14 years 23 hours ago #4215 by thebigadski
Just a quick thought......

Have you tried the Finn Molokai plastic?

It is very fast (even for a plastic) and very stable........fits the budget even when new.

Perfect for adventure racing and can take a beating......and when I say fast......
It even beat me on flatwater race today over 17kms by 4 secs!!! :( (my av pace was under 5min kms)

My boat choice for the Avon this year :)

Go for the MK2 as the mould is way better.

More
14 years 14 hours ago #4217 by Zarb
Replied by Zarb on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
pilbaralad wrote:

From everything I've read about the Milleneum almost any boat would seem stable compared to it :P

Was the Mako 6 a fibreglass or Carbon?

I am happy that this ski seems to do it for you, you will save a packet if you dont have to get a newer boat to find more stability with similar speed.

Yeah the Mill is a handfull, but I am determined to get it right!

The Mako 6 I have is a glass version, so I suppose it will be a bit more stable than the version you test paddled.

The part I like about using the Mako 6 for Adventure racing, is the bungees and deck rigging ahead of the cockpit, rather than behind. That way I can easily mount a compass and map-board for nav when the time comes to use it.

More
14 years 11 hours ago #4219 by Dicko
I don't want to upset you bigadski but I'm convinced the pinjarra race is only about 15.5 km's not 17km. Every time I've done the race I paddle a km/h faster than I go in a 8km paddle.
My only conclusion is the race is shorter than stated. The finn molokai is a good plastic boat but comparing two boats with different paddlers doesn't count. If the guy paddling the molokai (don't know who it was yet) paddled his carbon whatever he would have been 10 minutes faster over the same distance.

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 11 hours ago #4220 by pilbaralad
thebigadski wrote:

Go and paddle a legend......for what you want to do I think (!!) you'll like it.

Will do, where do you 'think' :lol: I can find one to test paddle?

thebigadski wrote:

That's what made me choose the UNO......which I love !!
PS. the 2nd hand 1 on gear trade in Perth......that's what I purchased!!

Okay, no wonder he hasnt got back to my emails, good buy! :(

thebigadski wrote:

Time trials have started in Mandurah Wed nights......Mary St Lagoon.

May get there, but with all the other training I do, weeknight training is done from my local beach as it's much quicker than driving down to Mandurah,(more time in the water) which I leave for Saturday mornings if I'm feeling sociable. It may pay to get down there just to have a few people look at my paddle technique so I can set about improving that too!

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 11 hours ago #4221 by pilbaralad
thebigadski wrote:

Just a quick thought......

Have you tried the Finn Molokai plastic?

It is very fast (even for a plastic) and very stable........fits the budget even when new.

Perfect for adventure racing and can take a beating......and when I say fast......
It even beat me on flatwater race today over 17kms by 4 secs!!! :( (my av pace was under 5min kms)

My boat choice for the Avon this year :)

Go for the MK2 as the mould is way better.

No I havent considered it, just spoken to a lot of paddlers who have paddled it, seems you either like it or hate it, I have yet to be convinced on thier durability seeing as the mark II had 4kg added to it :blink:

More
14 years 3 hours ago #4229 by thebigadski
16,48km !!!

Heaps of dead water with no flow assistance, so it was hard work all the way.

Mr fantastic plastic beats me on flatwater but I've got him in the downwind runs!!! (at the moment!!)

More
14 years 3 hours ago #4230 by thebigadski
"Will do, where do you 'think' :lol: I can find one to test paddle?"

Try Guy from: www.epicadventure.com.au/

I think (!!) he still has 1

I know he has a Finn Molokai too.

Otherwise Mainpeak in Cott.

More
14 years 3 hours ago #4231 by Dicko
Was that the 1.21 in the results. If so, that's impressive.....
or he had a bloody good draft.

More
14 years 3 hours ago #4232 by thebigadski
Yeah he did have a double to tag along with the last few kms!!!

Where as I had a double drafting me!!! :(

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #4265 by pilbaralad
Okay back to the boat selection journey....

Got to paddle the Stellar Elite Advantage model (14.5kg) in Dunsborough over Easter.

Ty from Perth Paddlesports www.perthpaddlesports.com.au/ kindly took one down south with him and I happened to be holidaying in Busselton so we met up in Dunsborough on a windy morning to try her out.

I have given a full account of my paddle under the Stellar thread.

Basically my experience of the Stellar was positive without being overwhelming. At $3000 for the 15kg lay-up I am not sold on it.

The V10L is looking the favourite now, mainly due to the low volume bow which I think will suite my training/racing and price (relatively cheaper than stellar and others, looking at weights)

Seems like the 2nd hand market is slow at the moment so I have been looking at new boat prices a little harder.

I have phoned around some of the shops and I am waiting on some of them to get back to me on what they have in stock.

Latest Forum Topics