Help me choose which Ski

More
14 years 1 week ago #4273 by Dean Gardiner
You should try Ash Nesbit he has a few Fenn Elites taht were used for The Doctor available. His number is 0413177927

Regards
Dean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 days ago #4275 by Westley
Replied by Westley on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
I have been doing the same. Here are my thoughts and conclusions.

Love the idea of the Fenn elite but alas I am just not that good. I have seen too many people jump to the elite boats including the UNO, Fann Elite etc and go completely backwards.

I currently paddle an Epic V10L and love it but have to admit that it is a battle once chop sets in. I have paddled the 20 beaches and not fallen out but constantly aware of falling out. Basically it dominates my thoughts at times instead of thinking paddling technique.

I am after something stable and fast and have finally settled on the Think Evo. It is fast though not as fast as the top shelf skis but it is way more stable. That stabilty will more than make up for the loss of any speed. Also I love the make of the Thinks - very solid and it is not going to fall apart on me out to sea.

Can anyone suggest something more stable and faster (both) than the EVO?

In the end you have to sit in one, try it and be comfortable.

Today is the best day

More
14 years 6 days ago #4279 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
I don't think you'll find anything that's both more stable and faster than the Evo. You might also want to consider the new Epic V10 Sport with the reshaped narrower seat as that might be on par with the Evo for all three - comfort, speed, stability.

In between the Evo and the V10L, in my opinion, is the V12 - when simply looking at stability. The V12 has loads of secondary stability and is very easy to remount - which might calm the mind somewhat when the water is rough.

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 6 days ago #4281 by pilbaralad
Replied by pilbaralad on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
Fenn Elite, :unsure: hmmmm..... while my Ego likes to think that I'm good enough :P , the sensible part of me tells me to get a grip :blush: ....if I was a paddler and only a paddler, for sure, but AR racers have so much else to fit in training wise I find it hard to paddle more than twice a week. I know some of the top AR racers paddle these boats, but hey A) they most likely started thier careers earlier than me or B) are about 10-15 years younger than me ;)

Westley, if you are aware of falling out of the V10L I would recommend the sport, especially if you liked the V10L (even if it made you nervous in the chop) You'll feel at home in the sport straight away. From reviews I've read the sport has it over the Evo for speed, but I think the sport even though it is stable is probably the lesser of the stable ones going around. Havent seen, let alone paddled an Evo, just going on others opinions and I have read evrything online that I can find.

V12 :woohoo: now theres a boat, and if I had the money for one ($3500 for fibreglass) :(

I paddled one in the flat and can vouch for secondary stability...also suited to small to medium conditions and doesnt have large Bow volume, ideal for my training/racing. Just a side note on thier pricing, they charge $2500 US for these so taking into account currency we are still being asked to pay a huge premium for them :angry:

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 5 days ago #4289 by pilbaralad
Okay now's your chance, tell me why I shoudn't buy a V10L or a V12 :ohmy:

Although I havent got to paddle all the boats on my possible list, the opinions, feedback and reviews of others have led me to think these boats suit my intended purpose.

That and I am getting impatient and realise I need to buy new to get into a boat. ;)

More
14 years 5 days ago #4290 by Westley
Well I can't advise you not to buy any ski as in the end it depends on how you feel in a ski and how you paddle with it.

I haven't paddled the V12 but would love to as it sounds fantastic. I can speak for the V10L as it is my current ski and has seen me go from a very ordinary paddler to a competitive paddler. I now regularly finish in the top 10 in my age group and have completed the 20 beaches without falling out and loving the runners.

One argument is to stick with a tippy boat to get used to it and therefor force yourself to become a better paddler or buy a more stable boat until you get completely used to it then upgrade. I don't think the V10L is one of the stable boats but it is certainly nice.

I am thinking of getting an EVO for anything choppy and keeping my V10L for calmer days.

I would love someone to tell us more about the V12 as it is the one I haven't tried. I have heard that larger paddlers are not as comfortable in the V!@ as they are with other Epic models but that could be that people don't like change.

I would like to know if anyone is bringing out a new model shortly.

Today is the best day

• pilbaralad
  • Visitor
14 years 5 days ago - 14 years 5 days ago #4292 by pilbaralad
Thanks for your thoughts Westley.

Thats my dilemma, I know that the V10L would be a good boat for me, but for just a few hundred more, I could be on the V12, which may keep me entertained for many more years to come :)

:unsure: I am putting a lot of faith in Wes Echols review of the V12 :dry: as someone who has owned both boats and rates the V12 as slightly more stable and faster, this was comparing the carbon boats but I guess time will tell if the fibreglass lay-up I can afford will be the same.

If I was working :dry: (currently back at Uni for a career change during my midlife crisis) I would just buy the V10L and reasses in 12 months time when there was more talk on the V12 out there or the Stellar boats were better tested/proven or any one of the other boats I've mentioned/tested became available 2nd hand.
Last edit: 14 years 5 days ago by pilbaralad.

More
14 years 4 days ago #4312 by dolphin
Replied by dolphin on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
I have been enjoying the back and forth discussions on the thread, especially since I have just bought a new (2nd hand) V10.
I have been paddling for a fair while, and have just moved from a spec ski.
After trying a few boats, speaking to lots of paddlers, some of whom are regular top 20 place getters I settled on a long list, then a short list.

My long list;
V10 - Proven performer, fairly much an all rounder, nice paddling position (for me), lots of 2nd hand choices.

V10L - Good paddling position, great in smaller/ flat conditions, my weight borderline for big conditions (85kg)

Fenn Elite - Proven performance, great surfing ability, all rounder, good second hand availability, not great paddling position for me.

V12 - Favorite paddling position, fast on flat to smaller stuff. Not as popular as I thought it would be here in Sydney among the top guys. Some say it felt "wrong/funny" on the ocean around here.

UNO - Good paddling position, very fast on flat water, good build quality, some say buries the nose on the bigger stuff.

I cut these gown to 2 boats. The V10 and the Fenn Elite. I cut the V10L because I do intend on using it in bigger conditions, and after speaking to some paddlers much better than me (and lighter) I felt that I was a little to heavy. If I was 74kg I would have chosen it.
I cut the V12 because not so many second hand, and again I want to mainly use it in varied ocean conditions. A fair few good paddlers that I spoke to said the the V12 was great on the flat, but for then felt funny in varied ocean conditions, including around the Sydney cliffs. If I was only paddling the flat, then I probably would have gone for it.
Uno - Again the ocean performance. I heard the same story over and over. Really fast in the flat stuff, digs in the nose in the big stuff.

Now for the Elite. I didn't cut the Elite, I just chose the V10. I really like the Elite. Fast, proven performer, great as surfing the swell, strong quality. The main hesitation was the paddling position. It just never felt right for me. My pelvis always felt a little tilted back, and after 20 mins my legs felt a little "funny".
So I decided that I would never be able to know which was the best for me until I had owned one. So I just picked one, to see how it would turn out. After a season I may well sell the V10 for a Fenn Elite.
I guess my point is, that sometimes you never know until after you have owned a boat. Speaking as someone who can't make a decision, narrow it down to 2, then pick one, just to see what happens.

Hope this helps.

More
14 years 4 days ago #4316 by Westley
Yep that helps alot. However answers only one part of the question for me. I guess it points to you being a very good paddler and therefor completely justifies you seeking the advice of the best paddlers. Your choice then comes down mainly to speed.

Unfortunately I still have a way to go and feel I need to consider the stability factor more closely. I note you didn't consider the EVO which from what I have read allows both stability and speed. If I drop a little speed and go for stability I think I will go faster so the recommendation I need is the fastest possible ski with the best stability with a preference for stability.

Today is the best day

• bigmal
  • Visitor
14 years 4 days ago #4317 by bigmal
Replied by bigmal on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
Hi

If you are looking at the V10l or V12, then you are missing the most appropriate boat for your - the Atom. Where are you located?

Regards

Mal

More
14 years 4 days ago #4318 by Westley
An Atom hey, that is a new one to me. I am in Australia (Sydney) can you give me a link to the Atom and let me know why you think it is the most appropriate boat?

Today is the best day

More
14 years 3 days ago #4319 by AR_convert
Look at the article on Carbonology Sports "What Ski?" Name the ski competition. Boat aimed at smaller/lighter paddlers, or as I have been told, heavier paddlers with short legs :blink:

this contact taken from wesbite for Atom in Australia

NSW - Malcolm Hall - 0414491460
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

WA container is meant to be arriving later this month (April), I guess Mal would know about Sydney?

Always looking for the next boat :)

• bigmal
  • Visitor
14 years 3 days ago #4321 by bigmal
Westley,

Call me on 0414491460

regards

mal

• bigmal
  • Visitor
14 years 3 days ago #4322 by bigmal
Westley

hopefully the link below will take you to a thread of reviews on the carbonology

www.surfski.info/index.php?option=com_ku...atid=26&id=4144#4188

Regards

malcolm

More
14 years 3 days ago - 14 years 3 days ago #4325 by AR_convert
Well i did some more tyre kicking today (half a day off Uni) and being as the weather was crap visited Mainpeak paddlesports in Cottesloe, nice fellas there. The paddle guy there (Craig) was very patient with all my newby questions and showed me through the Think Kayak range.

The boats present brilliantly, definately head turners on the beach :silly:

Craig was very interesting to talk to, as he is only been in WA coming up 12 months he is getting used to our ocean paddling conditions here and the boats that are available, so while he is fit and has a wealth of knowledge he understands the dilemmas us midpackers go through when moving up in Skis. he himself still doesnt paddle the top spec skis, reverting to stable platforms when the going gets tough.

Then I headed to Go Paddlesports in Osborne Park...these guys get the "smiley sticker" :woohoo: for thier showroom, plenty of space to stand back and look at the boats on display and you dont feel clastraphobic like some "boat shed" type shops.

Again, really nice guys who did a good job at being interested in all my newby questions and comments. They have the Spirit range as well as most of the Epic Line-up. I know there are other Epic suppliers but these guys support Indian Ocean Paddlers (Ocean racing Club) so I thought I should see what they can do. After visiting them I am now considering adding another plastic boat to the toy store for river style AR's :P

Now that I am back to looking at new boats (2nd hand market here in WA is flat) I have had to lower my expectations and look at value for weight, speed etc.

V12 was crossed off mainly due to price, but at least it's a boat I can have up my sleeve in future years should I think I have the $$$ and skill to paddle it.

Worthwhile adding that the Epic dealers seem to be discounting on the back of currency gains, while I wont disclose prices quoted it's worthwhile asking about price as the RRP prices arent being quoted first up which was my experience 12 months ago with the Sport.

Now considering

V10L Club
V10L Performance
Think Legend

If I was more patient I could wait for the Atom boats arriving in WA later this month (so I'm informed) but then again Epics container was meant to arrive this month and now wont be here in WA until August :blink: That may tighten the paddle market too from what I hear :dry:

Last edit: 14 years 3 days ago by AR_convert.

More
14 years 3 days ago #4327 by bulldog
Replied by bulldog on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
Atoms arrive on the 20th.Ship docks in Freemantle on Sunday.Can organize a test paddle for you.Only 6 days to wait.

More
14 years 3 days ago - 14 years 3 days ago #4328 by AR_convert
Well I cant say no to that, my bluff :blush: has been called.

I had put myself under unecessary pressure to buy a boat for this weekends Indian Ocean paddlers race but in the scheme of things when spending 2 -3 thousand oxford scholars I should paddle all the boats in contention.

Is this an open invitation ;) , when where can we test this superboat to be built in Bunbury :lol:

Last edit: 14 years 3 days ago by AR_convert.

More
14 years 3 days ago #4330 by dolphin
Replied by dolphin on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
Westley,

Although I have chosen my boat for speed, please don't think that I am a great paddler, I am not. However, I do think that when you choose a higher performance ski, it takes time to grow into it. I expect to fall out a fair bit in the ocean, but this is part of progressing, as you said in an earlier post (I think..?).
I feel that it is OK to fall out. It pushes you to improve, and given time and practice you will hopefully move to the next level. Obviously trying to not put yourself into danger.
I have chosen to get my V10 at this stage of the year so that I can get wet while the water is still warm enough, and the Sydney races are mostly in the harbour. I may eat my "push yourself" words, but hopefully I'll be staying in my ski by the time the Fenn Cup rolls around!

More
14 years 3 days ago #4333 by bulldog
Replied by bulldog on topic Re:Help me choose which Ski
The ski can be tested anytime in Bunbury or i can arrange a paddle in Perth.Please contact me on 0428459729.Regards Gary.Any one over east can contact Malcolm for a test paddle on 0414491460.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4367 by AR_convert
Okay, the decisions been made, but before the big reveal, what has been going on?

Some have read my posts as a marketing ploy, but to be straight up, I simpy wanted to find the best boat for me, an Adventure Racer, not a downwind racer, not a surf life saver, not even a flash paddler :blink: !

Just someone who thought there may be others like me trying to navigate the maze of Ski ownership ;)

In the past week I have been deliberating over several boats, gone and seen the Think boats in the flesh and taken stock of what bang for your buck there is.

My initial brief was to get a boat 2nd hand, but the 2nd hand boat market in WA is very thin on the ground at present :( .

That led me to change my focus to buying new and somewhere along the journey I gave myself permission to start looking at boats really too expensive for me at this stage.

Once I had given myself this permission ($3200-$3700) I considered easily sourced boats like the V12 performance, Think Legend Fibreglass, Stellar Advantage, Viva Atom, Fenn Elite, etc :P

I read, talked to dealers, and spoke to other paddlers about them. I emailed dealers and collected current prices to compare and for an adventure racer and sometimes ocean racer decided on the V12 performance due to it being made more attractive than the other boats by the offer of less than recommended retail price :lol:

So on Friday I went into the Epic dealer with my scales to check the weight and make sure it was exactly what I wanted

The shop I went to had the Epic range easily accessed on a wall which led me to weigh all the boats, and what I found was very interesting :blink:

The Club level V10 weighed 15.2kg (good value for the cheaper lay-up),
the V10 L, even less at 15kg,
then the V12….also 15kg, .5 kg over what is claimed.

Then I realised, what the??? The performance lay-up of the V12 weighs the same as the V10L….and yet, I was about to shell out around $1000 more for the V12!

I did some soul searching, and quickly came to realise that I could walk out with a boat the same weight as the V12, pretty good credentials and have $1000 left in my pocket for other AR toys.

So, I went in to buy a V12 walked out with a V10L :laugh: !

I couldn’t help but paddle the boat as soon as I got it home, a quick 11 km “around the stick” as we call it in Rockingham, basically you head West out to sea, around a channel marker and come back in through the channel before turning for home, the map on the Garmin site should help explain if you click on satellite image. Not ideal conditions (strong running out tide through the channel, lots of weed, 20 knot wind, blah , blah).

connect.garmin.com/activity/30190594?sms_ss=email

The boat was quick for me off the mark, sprang up to 11km/hr fairly easily and was a delight to paddle. The paddle itself wasn’t flash and I had some “moments” and one “off” as well as stopping several times to reverse and clear the weed from my rudder. The Jury was still out for me.

On Saturday I joined the regular Mandurah Dome Café paddle for about 15 km and thoroughly enjoyed the boat in the estuary and canals, it was keeping up with some of the paddlers that I usually struggled to match it with in the Sport.

Then this afternoon (Sunday) I did another stick run (after a 15km run this morning) and was much more comfortable with the boats stability.

My conclusion is that I am getting about 1 km/hr more speed on flat calm water, about 0.5 - 0.7km/hr in the cross chop/swell, 1-2km/hr upwind, and much better downwind handling.

I am very happy with this improvement in speed without losing a great deal of stability (or money).

Other things to note, this boat is not for taller people, I am 192cm tall and only just squeeze into it like a glove, just as well I can’t grow any more, the bucket ‘just’ fits me, so if you have wide hips you may struggle, so for those thinking of one, don’t order it sight unseen, you need to demo this boat.

So did I buy the right boat…for the money I have to say yes, if money wasn’t a motivating or limiting factor I may have been in a V12.

Where too from here? I am still glad to have a huge array of fast boats to go to in the future. Some newer ones like the V12, Stellar and Atoms will have a chance to prove thier worth to us mid packers while the tried and trusted names will still be around. Perhaps in 18 months when I am working again the 2nd hand market will be more active and I’ll get an itch that needs scratching, but for now, thanks for sharing this boat selection journey with me and thanks for all the suggestions, feedback, pointers and encouragement.

See you out there!
:P

Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by AR_convert.

Latest Forum Topics