internal buoyancy of a K1/2?

More
13 years 11 months ago #4420 by Zarb
Just a quick question.

Do K1/2's sink if you tip them? Doing an Adventure race later on in the year, and my partner wanted to use a k2. The race rules state that all craft must have internal buoyancy.

Also, if i can paddle an uno, would i have trouble on a K1/2?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4421 by Stew
Hi Zarb,

Yes, a K1 or K2 will sink without enough buoyancy. If you're going to use one for an adventure race, fitting a set of airbags would work well to prevent it sinking.

If you paddle an Uno, you won't have any issues paddling a K2, and even a K1 shouldn't prove too difficult.

Cheers.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4422 by latman
If its a timber K2 it will float , If its Carbon,Kevlar or Glass (without a foam core) it will need some Bouyancy foam fitted to it so it will float , you should be able to inside the nose or tail and see it for yourself. If its been made WITH a foam core it will need nothing extra and it will float. You would need to convince a scrutineer of this.

If one person has good balance they may be able to "look after" the other paddler in a K2. If you do fall out it is unlikely you can re-enter any kayak from the water and will need to swim the boat to shore/riverbank etc, from that point of view any ski is better than a kayak.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4424 by Stew
Australian Canoeing and Paddle NSW don't allow foam core as an acceptable buoyancy solution. They require visible buoyancy to be fitted and secured. They're cracked down on this the past year or so.

Best check with the governing body of your event beforehand.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Stew.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4425 by Zarb
Well my partner regularly paddles k2 so I suppose that would help my stability.

In regards to the buoyancy, I realize that races like the Murray river marathon have similar rules regarding internal buoyancy. But they also state that any internal buoyancy cannot be a temporary addition to a boat. If similar rulings exist in the adventure race, what would scruitaneers consider to be a 'permanent' buoyancy system in a k2? Lift bags?

On that same note, I noticed people using k1's on the Murray river marathon so they must have found a good way to get around the rule. Do they do something along the lines of using that moulded foam and fill up the bow and stern with the liquid foam then let it set? Or is it once again just convincing scruitaneers that lift bags are a 'permanent' buoyancy system?

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4426 by Zarb
Edit: Double post.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Zarb. Reason: Edit: Double post.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4427 by Zarb
Edit: Double post.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Zarb. Reason: Edit: Double post.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4437 by garykroukamp
In South Africa, K1/K2 buoyancy usually consists of foam blocks. They are not fixed to the craft, so can be removed, but are slotted into place so that they don't come out during a "swim".

Latest Forum Topics