Upgrading from plastic to glass

More
13 years 9 months ago #4808 by beejay65
I currently paddle a Spirit PRS which is a pretty good plastic boat. I am now at the point where I want to upgrade to a glass boat and do more ocean paddling. I'll still keep the PRS for adventure races but want something a bit more up market for the downwind paddling.

I have a couple of questions for you all.

1. When upgrading to a glass boat should I be looking at going to a more intermediate boat or stick to something like the EVO or V10S. Will I see a huge difference going from the PRS to tha base level boats or should I look at the next level up, say a legend or V10.

2. When trialling each boat what are the key aspects I should be looking at? For me stability is a fairly high priority but what else?

I am an inetrmediate level paddler (not sure how you actually determine that!) and am 185cm and 100kg.

Sorry, one last question. Does anyone know where I can trial Fenn's in Perth? I might have to go and tap someone on the shoulder I think ;)

Cheers
BJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4809 by Dicko
Go for something quicker. The sport and evo will be quicker than the prs but not amazingly quicker. Why buy 2 boats similar. I would buy something more challenging and paddle it when conditions are good. When things are marginal paddle the prs and in 3 months time you won't want to paddle the plastic.
To paddle a fenn contact oceanpaddler.com. and they'll tee something up.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4810 by AR_convert
Beejay, you are welcome to come down to Rockingham and paddle my V10L to get an idea on the stability. I live 200m from the waters edge at palm beach so it's protected and easy to tee up.

If you see the thread "V10 or V10s for newbie" I spelled out why I went to the V10 Sport from a plastic then moved up to the V10L later. There is a big difference between the PRS and sport... in fact I sold my sport to a guy I paddle with on the weekends who was on a PRS for quite a while and he is still grinning from ear to ear when he paddles it.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #4811 by beejay65
Thanks AR for the offer. I will send you a message with contact details to tee up a time.

Dicko, thanks for that. I am probably tending towards that way as I don't want to just replace what I have now. I'll give oceanpaddller a call.

Cheers guys
BJ

Latest Forum Topics