Carbonology Sport "Vault" a midpackers review

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10243 by ts-d
Could somebody compare the stability of the Vault with Sellar SR (Stellar Racer, 5,84m, 0,48m) please?

seakayaks (Francesconi Esplora, Lettman Polar, Valley Nordkapp Jubilee), Stellar SR
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by ts-d.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10246 by AR_convert

ts-d wrote: Could somebody compare the stability of the Vault with Sellar SR (Stellar Racer, 5,84m, 0,48m) please?

The SR has become a popular ski in our area amongst some senior ski paddlers but don't mistake it for a slow ski. I paddled one when I had my V10L and was amazed at how quick it was, others have said this.....that with stellar ski's they just don't 'feel' fast, the only indication is the GPS. I would have to say they are more stable than a Vault on the flat, can't comment on downwind. I will however repeat what others have said is that the buckets are huge and you don't feel like you are part of the ski and the width at paddle entry is distracting.

Stellar aren't flashy but then again I haven't heard any bad reports recently, I am keen to try them out again soon as I may be looking to upgrade.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by AR_convert.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10247 by ts-d
Thank you very much! The Stellar SR was my first ski after finishing my seekajak-age (a period of about 10 years). My dealer said quite rightly, take not a small ski for learning and for accustoming yourself to surfski.

The Stellar SR looks very fast, if you see somebody other paddling - it is very smart gliding through the water with its sharp bow and stern.

My feeling in the Stellar is rather slow - subjective. If you sit in it, you think you are in a bathtub. To much place. And not very easy not to beat the hull because the ski is so broad at the catch - as you said!

Senior? O. k., I'm not the youngest, age group 1963, but I count me not as an ponderous - rather an once-per-week-paddler, not much training, you know this, aspire to personal performance and working on personal skills. For me stability and security is very important to feel well and to be inspired for doing a sea-crossing (alone).

I paddled the V10 one year ago. It needs getting used to me, but after some time in the ski I felt well myself. You said, the V10 Sport has got a little bit more primary stability than the Vault - this little difference would be o. k. for me, if in April 2012 my new Vault arrives ... :silly: :) :lol: ;) :laugh:

seakayaks (Francesconi Esplora, Lettman Polar, Valley Nordkapp Jubilee), Stellar SR
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by ts-d.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11326 by Dicko
AR-convert. Did you ever get to quantify the speed difference between the big Vault rudder and the small rudder?

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
11 years 11 months ago #11337 by AR_convert
No, but since putting the small one on I haven't found a reason to take it off, it's gotta make some difference to drag.

Probably the only reason I would put the standard one back on would be 3 metre + downwinds.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
5 years 6 months ago #32599 by 10215251009367314@facebook
Thanks for the interesting thread. Has anyone tried the gen 2 Vault and the differences with the gen 1? Also interested to here about comparisons with the Swordfish S. I'm 174cm & 77kgs. Short legs.
Cheers

More
5 years 6 months ago #32603 by J3ZZA
Hi Numbers, I use a G2 Vault for flatwater and harbour and a Swordy G1 for outside. Both hybrid. Race and train in both. For current models both are 6.1m long. Swordfish is 45cm wide and Vault is 46cm - BUT Fenn is a more rounded / vertically sided hull and has more volume (and buoyancy) whereas Vault tapers in harder making it more of a V shaped section. Swordfish is quite a bit more stable than vault. (Me = 175cm / 65kg) so v happy with the Vault which is aimed straight at lighter and presumably therefore smaller paddlers. I am def faster in the CS-V.
Use the fantastic comparison tool at surfskicomparison.com/ (thanks David at Paddlesports in NZ!!)
Ideally paddle them both side by side for an hour if at all possible - the ergonomics / seats are quite different.

Current: Carbonology Vault, Carbonology Boost LV, Vajda Spirit K1
Previously: Fenn Swordfish, Sladecraft Sonic, Older K1, Elliott Vindicator, Elliott Marauder,

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #32607 by Possum
J3ZZA it's "Numbers" here, had to log in via FB for last post.
Thanks for your prompt reply and great link to the comparison site. I also contacted Carbonology who replied
"We really tried our best to make the Vault Gen2 specific for someone of your dimensions (im a similar build). So as far as cockpit ergonomics is concerned, the Vault should fit you the best.

That brings me to the Gen1 Vault:
One of my all time favourite skis. It is a bit faster than the Vault Gen2, but also a little more responsive and tippy and the hump and seat consol is more geared to taller paddlers (back then, no one knew better and we were all obsessed with minimising water in the cockpit area as all raced went out through the surf to start.
Still, a great ski if you can be comfortable in it."

Looks like it's the gen2 Vault!
Cheers Possum
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Possum. Reason: gave wrong name

Latest Forum Topics