Honcho Guru

More
13 years 4 months ago #5913 by Outerisland
Honcho Guru was created by Outerisland
I'm thinking about picking up a Honcho Guru; found one for a decent price. Never paddled a ski before, but I do paddle a Nordkapp. Given calm conditions, what kind of speed can I expect to achieve? Will it be faster than my Nordkapp?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5914 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Honcho Guru
the skillset for the guru is a little different than the nordkapp. IF the paddler has and can maintain balance through out repeated stroke cycles and apply and maintain power throughout that cycle than the guru will smoke the nordkapp (assuming the same calories applied) HOWEVER , if the paddler is swimming and attempting remount repeatedly than the salty , stately,and a an allround wonderfull sea kayak Nordkapp will glide on hatches full of fun to the next campsite. A without tremendous zeal (IMHO) workout pace of around 9-10Kper hour coud comfortably be maintained by an "intermediate" surfski paddler in flat conditions for moderate periods of time.(as you may soon see claimed there are many who will exceed these approximations ).

More
13 years 4 months ago #5918 by Outerisland
Replied by Outerisland on topic Re:Honcho Guru
well said, point taken, thanks

More
13 years 4 months ago #5920 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Honcho Guru
Outerisland , did not intend for my post to be dismissive , given some miles in the bucket and a little swimming here and there , you would likely find surfski paddling a worthy and enjoyable endeavour.There is a very strong "Zen" aspect to it that calls paddlers to broad horizons.Like skate skis (misery sticks) , no matter how proficient or fast you may think you are , there is always room for more !

More
13 years 4 months ago #5925 by Outerisland
no, your post was fine. I'm ready to make the jump to a surf ski, I just want to make sure the Honcho Guru is a decent starter ski; quicker than a sea kayak but stable enough for confidence building.
Chuck

More
13 years 4 months ago #5939 by jsowers
Replied by jsowers on topic Re:Honcho Guru
Here is an answer from an older guy with a bum shoulder and bad technique. I have a Nordkapp also and a variety of skies but not a Guru. Over multiple thousand of flat water miles in both my average speed in a ski is 1.0-1.2 mph faster than the Nordkapp. This difference is really consistant for me, using same wing paddle for both. With a greenland paddle tend to average about .5 mph slower still in the Nordkapp. With better technique I'm sure the difference would be more. I think that I'm pushing the Nordkapp close to it's hull speed. However a good paddler can push a ski into a 'higher gear" compared to me. Put another way, as mentioned above, once you are comfortable in the ski 10 kph is a reasonable speed expectation for a beginner/intermediate, and I think not that dependent on the type of ski. A skilled paddler can take advantage of the inherent potential of a high performance ski to push it over the hump to much faster speeds and likely would see a greater difference. The Nordkapp is an awesome boat.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5940 by Outerisland
thanks jsowers, there's a lot of truth in that. realizing inherent potential is the trick!
Chuck

More
13 years 4 months ago #5959 by Outerisland
Decided to go with the Guevara instead.

Latest Forum Topics