Custom Kayak Icon what are they like?/

• gnome
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago #6413 by gnome
Im looking for a fast cheeeep ski. Thought about as Millenium and now a Icon.
Im 5`11 (180 tall) 85kg
Boat is for mainly for flat water (rivers) but need to find something that can go a bit quicker. Especially in down current rivers as my current Multisport kayaks is slow down current like its got a sea anchor out back.
So whats the Icon like in the speed department?
I also paddle a K1 so how do they compare in stability as I would like a bit more of that too.
Cheers
Gnome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6414 by owenfromwales
Gnome,
Everything is relative matey. Your best bet would be to try the boats yourself and base your decision on that.
Happy paddling,
Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
13 years 2 months ago #6415 by AR_convert
Gnome, if you spend a few minutes searching the forum you can usually find what you may be looking for, then if that thread doesnt completely answer your question you can add to that thread...that way information on that topic gets clumped together for the next person to find easily ;)

Have a look at this thread

www.surfski.info/forum/19-boats/1723-icon-surfski.html

Best wishes with your search for a good downriver ski :)

Always looking for the next boat :)

• gnome
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago #6416 by gnome
Replied by gnome on topic Re:Custom Kayak Icon what are they like?/
Hi Owen I would like to try them but theres no chance of doing that around here, so hence the annoying questions. Thanks anyway.
Thanks for the thread that pretty much made my mind up. Nope.

So what is a faaaasttt ski?
Anyone know of a Marathon kayaking forum website?

Cheers
Paul.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6417 by Nige
Hi Gnome,

The Icon is the older generation racing ski from Custom Kayaks and is pretty quick, but also more unstable than most of the newer skis on the market. (I think that's why it never sold that well.) If you have good stability from paddling sleek racing K1's then you should be fine with it, especially on flatwater, where in my experience it doesn't give anything away to the newer racing ski's.

Regards

Nigel

More
13 years 2 months ago #6418 by postal256
I have a Millennium and an Icon. I never paddle the Icon, but mainly because I fit in the Millennium better (the Icon leg length is just slightly too short for me). So my friends end up with the Icon. I'd say they are very similar in regards to stability. On flat water they are both just slightly more stable than new style K1. But on textured water they are much more manageable/fun than a K1. But once it gets really rough, they can both be a handful.. modern boats feel very stable compared to either of these. Seating is only a little different. I fit like a glove in the Mill but the Icon isn't bad for me, but prefer Mill for me. Everyone will fit differently of course..

both are fast. Both my boats are fiberglass and the Icon seems to get dented/cracked much more easily than the Fenn. Icon has cracks and dents here and there, despite being used less. Fenn has taken and absolute beating over the years and is holding up better.

• gnome
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago #6419 by gnome
Replied by gnome on topic Re:Custom Kayak Icon what are they like?/
Thanks for the advice.
So if the Millenium and Icon are very similar how do they compare in flat out speed and long distant speed compare to the new K1's?
I have a multisport kayak 6.2m long and Im only good for 12/13km/h over a kilometer (average 12 most time) then 11.5km/h 11.8km/h there after.
The Viper K1 14 / 14.5km/h 1 kilometer at 2 k's 12km/h ish for the rest, but find down current (river current) thats where the speed falls quickly. If it was flat or flat with slight head current 13km/h would be maintained for longer. The effects are the same in either the multisport kayak or K1.
Thats why Im hopping a ski has the same speed as a K1 or better over long distances but hopefully better down river currents.
Cheers
Gnome.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6421 by postal256
I have never done sprints in both back to back to test flat out speed in either boat... but at faster long distance speeds I really don't see a difference. Compared to my k1 at long distance, pure flat water conditions, I'd say I could push my k1 a little faster, but not much. 11-12.5 kph is not difficult in Millennium over long distance. Going 13 or over for long distance is hard though (for most paddlers I'd think). Flat out sprint, my k1 wins... it weighs almost half as much, which probably plays a large role. The top end speed of the Millennium during a sprint isn't as high as K1... but let's say you can do 15kph for 500m in K1... in Millennium it may be slightly lower. But if you can do 12.5kph for one hour in K1, you might very well be able to do 12.5kph in Mill.

I don't know what kind of river current you have, but a Millennium/Icon will feel more trustworthy in a large river (think Mississippi, huge current) than a K1.. but eddies can still push you around and add instability at times. Down wind/current they are both fast, but not any faster than modern, top end skis.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6474 by kipower
hi

just wanted to say i have a custom horizon. im 180cm tipping the scales at 110kg, was 116 when i first started. it fits me great. ive paddled it on dead flat water to 2 to 3 foot swell. which it doesnt like very well. (could be me though. lol) down wind ( on a lake) i can belt out 11kph no probs i do this at lake maquarie hunter region nsw.. im looking at getting a epic for open water. however my craft is stable as , easy to remount if unfortunate to go for a quick swim. its only.5.8m and 48cm at width im a novice and i believe it to be a nice boat for flat water foot position is good with plenty of room for adjustment.

hope this has helped given i have a custom.
happy paddling....infact heading out now.
Andy

Latest Forum Topics