Burbon Orca from Point65

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6536 by mortenlinding
Hi
Found this new surfski on Point65´s page(www.point65.com/default.asp?page=kayaks&kayak=54).
It has a inverted bow for higher speed and a special scupper, said to be efficient at low speeds. The design is by Magnus de Brito, and looks cool.
Has anybody tried the ski ?

Morten

Current ski: Carbonology Vault Hybrid 1. Gen / Nordic kayaks Storm / SS2 Carbonology Zest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6537 by Rightarmbad
I have not seen it in real life yet, but any manufacturer that says that their boat is super fast and super stable has already got my bullshit detectors working.

That scupper has got to be high drag, surely.
Notice that the weights do not include the rudder.

Hopefully I am wrong.......

Just looking at the specs, I'll bet that it is similar in speed/stability wise to the V10 sport class of boats.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
13 years 3 weeks ago #6540 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:Burbon Orca from Point65
Could not find where they said its 'super' stable. They use 'comfortably stable' which is vague enough and can include any of 10 ski's out there. The 'lightning fast' bit I put down to a bit of puffing.

The designer (de Brito) has impressive credentials and that ski looks downright awesome. They made some pretty big claims so I hope they're going to ship it to a worthy pilot to put through its paces in proper conditions...and if they go and test it in some lake in Sweden with 2ft wind chop they'll never get the street-cred they're after.

S.S.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6543 by Colnagodreaming
Looks very nice indeed. Hope somebody in the southern hemisphere gets to review it and post the findings.

The "negative" bow shape seems fairly radical - lattman-how is this likely to affect its handling ?

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6544 by AR_convert
SS@Bermuda7 wrote:

...and if they go and test it in some lake in Sweden with 2ft wind chop they'll never get the street-cred they're after.

Unless this is thier target market, they may not care about whats going on in the rest of the world, not all manufacturers have to aspire to be Fenn, Epic, Stellar etc

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6545 by Rightarmbad
It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

K1 rules only allow for continuous convex surfaces as part of the hull shape, along with their length confines.
Many of the current spec skis would fail this restriction, as would a lot of sea kayaks.

With surf ski blessedly free any such hand tying, designers are free to try anything they like.
With the big variable of wave response thrown in, there may well be some undiscovered totally freaky hull shapes that we are yet to see unleashed.

As computer simulations improve and ski manufacturers get big enough to go off and explore such options, the future may well be fascinating.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6548 by ejpoulsen
The type of bow design has been working quite well on my sailboat in highly varied wave conditions:

www.morrellimelvincn.com/a2/

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6549 by Rightarmbad
What sort of characteristics do you think it shows that may transfer over to surf skis?
Their blurb goes on about early lift, is that something that is noticeable or even applicable to surf ski's do you think?

At least you should be able to observe wave piercing ability.
What sort of speeds do you get in your sailboat?

Latest Forum Topics