Ozflyte R21

More
12 years 11 months ago #6690 by LaPerouser
Ozflyte R21 was created by LaPerouser
Hi all,

Any feedback from peolple who've test paddled the Ozflyte R21?

Anyone who owns one want to comment?

Anyone interested in doing a review?

cheers
LaPerouser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6691 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re:Ozflyte R21
I'd be interested in this as well....

More
12 years 11 months ago #6739 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Re:Ozflyte R21
Due to the overwhelming response ;)

maybe I should try one more time...

Does anyone want to comment on the R21?

I know you're out there - they've had demo days!

(maybe no-one showed up??)

• Scott S
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6770 by Scott S
Replied by Scott S on topic Re:Ozflyte R21
Love the look of the OZflyte R21.

I would also like to hear impressions from anybody who has paddled them?

More
12 years 11 months ago #6773 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Ozflyte R21
I'd reply, but will hold my tongue until I actually sit in one and not rely on just it's finish, second hand comments and one owners opinion.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 9 months ago #7146 by knauer
Replied by knauer on topic Re:Ozflyte R21
I am still on the search for my first Ocean ski and have asked advice on another post but one bot that has been recommended to me is the R21. I am new to Ocean paddling but have paddled spec skis in the past and recently took an Ozflyte Pro 2 for a test paddle which presented no problems other than I found the steering unresponsive in the surf. Given that I have not paddled for a few years how would you rate the R21's suitability for someone in between beginner and intermediate on Ocean Ski's. Is it a ski that you could become quickly accustomed to in Ocean Swell, or would I be better starting off with something more stable. Ask the question another way I guess is can I grow into this type of ski or am I going to get to wet and frustrated.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #9344 by cogdoc
Replied by cogdoc on topic Re: Ozflyte R21
Due to the continued lack of feedback on the R21, I will add my experience so far, brief as it is.

I have done several paddles in my full carbon R21 now, and have to say I have been pleasantly surprised, mainly with the great stability for such a narrow boat ( for me ).

I paddled SLSC spec skis in my 20's, moved on to K1's and recreational flat water in my 30's, and now at a bit too tubby 42, I decided to finally get that long pondered ocean racer. I have followed the information here for some time, and had planned to go the typical Think or Epic route, when by chance I dropped into Ozflyte on the Sunshine Coast for a lookie see, having no idea at the time they had ventured into ocean racers.

I have not paddled since the GFC in 2008, when I lost my job and had to sell my toys towards the end of the year to get by. Thus my extra lard, and a distinct lack of paddle fitness/ balance stabilizers!!

My first paddle was in a dead flat freshwater lake, and I dressed for a swim, fully expecting to go through the same learning curve as I did with the K1. I would rate my K1 stability as OK on flat water, but I did struggle without a blade in the water. In a more choppy environment, such as the Brisbane River, a k1 klever was the limit of my balance ability, and after swamping it trying to play with the bow wave of a large boat, I decided to stick to the lakes.

I set off on the R21, and was initially surprised by the feeling of being on a K1 like V hull, yet a bit of an exploratory wiggle revealed an apparent secondary stability. Given the fact my arms were starting to complain about actually having to do something, I decided against more vigorous balance experiments, and continued on to complete a soul fulfilling yet short paddle, and not once did I get that dreaded " going over" feeling. The R21 is a fast boat, doesn't feel quite K1 fast, but given my lack of fitness, I figure it was me holding the boat back, not the other way around! That first paddle was even with my legs set up too short, so that only adds to the fact the boat is quite stable in flat water. I also noticed there was almost no bow wave, and less wake than a klever, guess a longer shape provides that, but I was surprised all the same.

My next few paddles have been in the Brisbane River, and whilst this is well short of ocean chop, is still my next level of testing given my K1 experiences. Again that stability is there, to the point where I just take the Rivercat and boat wakes side on now, and I am only two weeks in. I would rate the R21 as very spec ski like in stability, although its been a loooong time since I have paddled one properly, but it is definitely more TK1 like stability wise, over my former klevers.

Turning circle is terrible, but given this is the longest boat I have yet had, I expected that, and I am more interested in distance paddling anyway. The rudder is responsive for small course corrections, and I guess once I feel I have some fitness built up and brave the surf, I can comment further in it's intended environment.

As a current size 36 arse (should be 34 ) the seat is comfortable, but I am touching the sides. I would think bigger blokes may have trouble with good hip rotation. It feels as narrow as a K1, certainly if one of the many bull sharks in the river decided to have a go, there's stuff all boat at the sides between me and them.

My only real complaint is the footwell holds water at a bit below water level, depending on how hard I paddle, but as this is a used boat, I expect the skipper flaps need a bit of work. The footwell isnt deep, so this is only a small amount of water, less than a litre, but I am keen to fix that. Finish of the ski is superb, even in used state, and the only problem I had to fix were the front anchor points of the rudder cables. The alloy rivets had corroded through, and both anchor points were barely hanging on, nothing some stainless screws and liquid steel couldn't fix.

I will report back once I have had a crack in some surf, but that won't be until I get some fitness and my flexibility back, and my feet stop going to sleep 30 mins in! The thin seat pad is minimal yet comfortable, and having never paddled with one, it hardly feels like it is there, but it does give that wax like grip without the mess. I like it.

So I would rate the R21 as a great ski for anyone looking to move up to an ocean racer, and even say it would be OK for a beginner on flat water with a bit of swimming. Certainly an easy transition from a spec ski, which the R21 is obviously based around.

Can't wait to go for another paddle!

Now: Stellar SEL Gen 2

Prior: Ozflyte R21, Competition Kayaks Fireblade K1, MaxKayak Clever X K1, numerous SLSC Spec Ski's.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by cogdoc.

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 12 hours ago #20144 by cogdoc
Replied by cogdoc on topic Ozflyte R21
Well three years later, and I now paddle my R21 around the Sunshine Coast in QLD, mainly the beautiful Mooloolaba bay, having moved up here. This ski continues to amaze me, and whilst I still feel a long way from a "serious" paddler, I was the only ski out this morning that I could see in quite scary conditions. The swell isn't quite six foot, but the swells out the back around the shark cans were breaking, and I had more than one sphincter puckering moment, yet I didn't fall out. The R21 is definitely designed for this local area, holds a line well, catches the smallest of waves, and best of all I feel quite secure running parallel to shore even in close to the breakers. The only flaws in this ski that I can tell is the terrible turning circle, the next to useless first generation skuppers, and the extra rocker than has me really hammering to keep up in flat water.

Put this thing in the surf, especially the chop, and it's just like a long spec ski. Fantastic secondary stabilisation, and the near fallouts and late exits from bigger waves I have pulled off in this ski sure make me look a lot better than I am. I am experimenting with the rudder, and added Red 7 style skuppers which made a huge difference, the footwell is now totally dry and makes a pleasing sucking sound when you are on the plane.

So I'd rate the R21 as a great "play in the surf" style of ocean racer, and whilst I have no doubt the straighter current rockets are faster, especially in calmer or flat water, throw it out on a half decent day, and I would have to rate it as built for this sort of condition.

Got applause when I made it back into the groyne today, it was indeed quite scary, but the R21 did me proud.

Prior: Ozflyte R21, Competition Kayaks Fireblade K1, MaxKayak Clever X K1, numerous SLSC Spec Ski's.
Last edit: 10 years 12 hours ago by cogdoc. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho, mrwalker

More
10 years 2 days ago #20188 by damien17
Replied by damien17 on topic Ozflyte R21
The R21 is now being built by DD3. There are some current developments happening at the moment with the boat. The seat and footwell are being replaced with the same seat in DD3 Albatross and XLR8. Also a more efficient venturi is being applied and the leg arch has been reduced so some of the smaller paddlers can fit.

The shape of the nose is also under development with the properties of the DD3 Albatross being applied.

The Ski is fast and stable and as soon as the first pictures arrive they will be placed on this thread.

Oh Yeah, the ski is 100% made in Australia

More
10 years 12 hours ago #20197 by cogdoc
So we're talking a Albatross with more rocker and a spec ski like rear end?

Interesting!

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20204 by damien17
Replied by damien17 on topic Ozflyte R21
The new ski will boast a "V-shaped" Hull, similar to that of the newest MAXX spec shape. testing has proved that it is fast and surf fantastic. There are only a few of the Albatross similarity's. This is designed for this spec ski paddlers wanting the same feel in an ORS with greater speeds.

The DD3 Albatross is now in it's 5th generation. The shape itself will be retained for the next model. The newer model (hopefully to be launched later during the year) will be the same shape but reduced in length and the widest point will be reduced by 3cm.

These skis and all of DD3 range will be available world wide by the end of the year.

Pictures have been added of the latest DD3 Albatross

Stay tuned.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by damien17. Reason: to add
The following user(s) said Thank You: cogdoc

More
9 years 11 months ago #20206 by cogdoc
I think I may have to take a flight down to Sydney later in the year for a test paddle then, always keen to try "faster"!

Latest Forum Topics