Leg room? Which Brand is the longest?

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6808 by Kocho
Hello,

Looking for a ski similar to Epic V10 Sport. Restriction is that I have a long inseam (36/37" measured from crotch to ground or about 34" from crotch to ankle bone).

When I sit in an Epic V12 with the foot board flush to the end, I get almost 2 fists of clearance above the hump under my knees and I feel this is a bit too much. This was an '08 Ultra. I also briefly paddled the V8 and there seems to be a smidgen more leg room, still probably an inch short from optimal though.

This is with very low profile surfing shoes and medium winter attire (dry pants with the thinnest of layers). Barefoot I might be OK but barefoot paddling will only be half the time so not good enough.

I also have large feet (size 15 but narrow) and the foot room width in the V12 was fine but no room to spare. I could not fit with the splash guard installed - my toes would push against it (to get an idea for my foot size -;).

Jude from Huki told me their foot room is even narrower and may not fit me with any shoes. So Hukis are out of the question I suppose, unless a dual footwell design.

Do you know if the new Think Evo has longer leg room than the Epics? I know the pre-'09 or so Evos have a shorter cockpit than the current ones (that are supposed to be now just as long as the Legends, which were some 2" longer then the early Evos). But are these longer than Epics? Any others in the 20' by 19" skis you can think of? I'm 190lb so not terribly heavy but leg room is needed...

Thanks!
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Kocho.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6809 by Dicko
I am similar dimensions. Epics and fenns are too short, even with modification. Red 7 are long enough, Think legend is long enough. The new carbonology vault has the same cockpit as the red 7 so I assume that would be long enough as well.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6810 by Rightarmbad
You can get the shorty plate for the Epics and have your feet all the way out to the bulkhead.
That would make the V10 mega long.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 11 months ago #6811 by thebigadski
Yep I reckon the Think skis have more leg length....

I'm 6'3" and in the Uno I'm set on about the 5 or 6 th notch - but the Uno Max has heaps more I'm on the 13th or 14th notch

Uno Max was built for the bigger guys :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #6812 by Kocho
What's a "shorty plate"? I did not see anything I could do to make more room in the Epics, short of cutting out the hull at the forward end of the foot well to allow more room for the foot board to move forward: it sit flush there...

Rightarmbad wrote:

You can get the shorty plate for the Epics and have your feet all the way out to the bulkhead.
That would make the V10 mega long.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6813 by ccchappell
Hi, I have size 13 feet, 35.5" inseam and am currently paddling the Stellar SE. Comfortable with my knees fairly low, and have about 3/4 inch more to lengthen the footplate as well. On another note, my Stellar has a larger footplate (believe most of the SEs do) where the pivot point for the pedals is about 3/4" higher than any other skis I have paddled, which I love. This allows me to have more of my feet on the solid foot plate for good leg drive and steer with my toes. The other skis with the standard footplate I have to pay attention to not drive off the pedals.

I also had a V10 in the past and the length was pretty good, maybe just bit shorter then the SE.

Chris

More
12 years 11 months ago #6814 by mckengmsurfski
I would think that the Custom Kayaks Synergy would fit the bill as well. Its probably one of the faster of the stable skis, surfs well, and has plenty of leg length to spare. It may initially feel a touch less stable than the V10 Sport does but it has gobs of secondary stability. I've owned both, as well as a V12, and there was plenty of room left to adjust the Synergy's foot plate, while the Epics are both close to the end.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6815 by Moll
I have to agree with the Synergy. I am only 6,2 but there is still more than 2 inch adjustment left on my footplate.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

More
12 years 11 months ago #6816 by Sandy
6'1" with a 35 " inseam , think legend as 1" of adjustment left with fist under knee , size 12 feet with neo slippers , plenty of width for feet

More
12 years 11 months ago #6817 by Rightarmbad
Shorty plate has the bottom of the footplate cut off so you can push the top part that contains the pedals all the way forward until it is flush with the bulkhead where it steps to allow room for the cords to live.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 11 months ago #6818 by Kocho
Thanks! ANy photos? How much extra room that gives? Did not look like much to me - may be about 1/2"?

More
12 years 11 months ago #6829 by wesley
The Newest Stellar called the Stellar Elite Low Volume(SEL) that i received 2 days ago, has an additional 2 inches over the 2010 SE's that Chris referenced. It measures 50 inches from farthest setting to back of the middle of the cockpit. I also measured my Uno, not Uno Max, and the SEL is 2 inches longer than it. We recognized the need for an even longer track for the really really tall paddlers.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6840 by Kocho
Thanks for all suggestions!

More
12 years 11 months ago #6848 by Rightarmbad
I'm 6ft3 192cm with a 36in 92cm inseam, I fit in the V10 with a spare notch on the adjuster.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6853 by vanman
Hi fellas'

am not sure of my "inseam" but i do stand at 6 ft 8 and have quite comfortably paddled a Fenn quite a few times, though i did have to put a pad in the seat as my hips rubbed on the side. After that slight mod, I ave done the odd 4hr or so paddle and the Fenn was great.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6855 by Kocho
The Think Evo II today, 2010 model has more than enough leg room for me - barefoot I have about 2 inches left forward of the foot plate (enough to stash a half-empty hydration pack there. I could not fit in the twin straps with even the thinnest booties though even with the straps all the way losened. There is enough width (barely) so replacing with a single strap *might* work. Otherwise, neo socks would be the thickes that might fit there for me.

This is at least 2-3" longer than the '08 Epic V12 and at least 1 inch if not 2 longer than the current Epic V8 and V10 and V10 Sport...
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Kocho.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6897 by Kocho
Just want to share - paddled the current V10 Sport today and it has just enough leg room for me to use it barefoot. If I remove the foot plate as suggested ("shorty" plate) I will likely have enough room to paddle it with low profile water shoes in the winter.

Compared to the Think Evo II: the Evo II has about 2 extra inches beyond what the current (2011) Epic V10 Sport has.

The bucket of the Think Evo II is also a smidgen narower than the V10S.

On a side note, the V10S has stronger secondary stability - the support it offers continues to increas where the Evo feels a bit more constant as you continue to edge. To me the V10S also felt a little less twitchy just to paddle on flat water (to me, a total ski beginner) compared to the Evo.

The owner of the V10 Sport also seemed more at ease in his V10S than in my Evo. We only switched for the flat water so not sure if things change in rougher conditions or the trend continues...

Surfskracing rates the Evo's stability higher than the V10 Sport's... To me the Sport was a touch more stable and relaxing to paddle than the Evo II (small difference but clear enough).

More
12 years 11 months ago #6950 by Kocho
I'll add two more skis to the list of skis I tried and can compare: Stellar SE and Epic V10 (current model, not sure if the same as the older models). Both had exactly the same length in terms of leg room as the Epic V10 Sport or V8. All of these I am maxing out barefoot and are inadequate with any footwear.

The Stellar SE has the potential to move the foot ralis by probably an inch forward and the Epics have the half-plate, which buys another 1/2" or so.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6954 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti
Nelo xxl ski is designed for people measuring up to 2 m and it is more powerful, test you'll see!

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6956 by AR_convert
Nelo Surfski Tahiti wrote:

Nelo xxl ski is designed for people measuring up to 2 m and it is more powerful, test you'll see!

Hmmmm, I probably would have just left it at "Nelo xxl ski is designed for people measuring up to 2m":dry:.... because unless your ski has some sort of propulsion system the paddler provides the power not the ski ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by AR_convert.

Latest Forum Topics