Fenn Swordfish -VS- Epic V10 sport

• Adaka
  • Visitor
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8442 by Adaka
Fenn Swordfish -VS- Epic V10 sport was created by Adaka
As a new paddler in this sport I would like to receive professional opinions and recommendations regarding the comparison between Fenn Swordfish -VS- Epic V10 sport.
I would like to buy a boat that will serve me for long time.

Thanks
Adaka
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Adaka.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8443 by AR_convert
Probably a bit too early to tell, swordfish have only been on the water a couple on months, so unless you get someone who has moved up to on from a V10 sport you would be lucky to get a good comparison.

I am hoping to do a review of intermediate ski's this summer with some help from the Perth paddling community and hopefully this will be helpful for paddlers like yourself.

More on our ski comparison testing soon.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #8449 by Rightarmbad
I'm guessing that having both boats swapped between a couple of well paddled friends will be needed to separate those two.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 5 months ago #8453 by tony h
both great boats in my subjective opinion- have owned 2 sports & 1 swordfish!

usual premises:
1. different conditions require different ski for most intermediate paddlers - flat vs 20knt rough conditions
2. try before you buy - every butt seems to suit different seats & we all paddle in different conditions

as an experienced intermediate paddler I would prefer a faster boat than these two on flat water - if I were to choose between the two on flat water, I would take the swordfish as it is faster than the sport (guess around 0.2-0.3km.hr difference).

in most off shore conditions I would choose the swordfish

if I were to paddle the molokai race in bigger conditions I would prefer the sport as it is more comfortable & more stable.

to truly compete with fenn's swordfish, I would believe epic have to bring out another ski - sport closer to fenn xt than swordfish!

also the sport has a bigger seat area (even Z model) than the swordfish which would suit the bigger person........i have seen one particular 120kg plus person paddle past me on his sport with ease, so at the end of the day it comes down to the engine for pure speed.

swordfish glass construction is comparatively lighter than epic glass boat
with regards to weight comparison, swordfish is also comparatively cheaper in australia

swordfish cable steering mechanism & rudder appear more reliable than cord system of the epic.......have changed most of my epic steering systems to cable (courtesy of Lats - best spec ski builder around)

I have had hours of fun on both these boats & it has allowed a paddler of my level to get great pleasure out in the ocean that I wouldn't have managed on the elite skis

other boats to throw into this group are the think evo 2 ( have never paddled this but it has a good reputation) & the carbonology vault which I have owned - very similar to swordfish & worth a try..............certainly 'horses for course' stuff

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
12 years 5 months ago #8459 by Colnagodreaming
Thanks for your comparison - points well made. Can you make any comments with regard to durability of the swordfish?

There are some murmurs that the lightness of the build is resulting in compromised durability. Fenns have had a name for good quality in the past. From what you have seen, do you think the swordfish will still be in one piece and looking good in a few years time? (cf Epics of performance layup).

More
12 years 5 months ago #8463 by tony h
time will tell!
in general we all know with same material (glass) weight reduction must lead to decreased strength- e.g. 2 layers of glass will be lighter than 3 & will be weaker.
know a few epic glass layups that have been around for ages & still look solid.
have had my swordfish for a few months & have no concerns about integrity despite paddling in rough conditions.
sometimes vacuum layups decrease amount of resin used & hence weight, but provide more consistent impregnation of glass / carbon / kevlar & thus may contribute to strength (paradoxically - lighter but stronger?)
look forward to hearing other perspectives..........

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

Latest Forum Topics