Rose coloured glasses

More
12 years 2 months ago #10053 by Rightarmbad
Conditions looked good today, SE wind gusting to 35km/h, 7-9 sec swells coming from the SSE.
Gotta be good, just finished my new skeletor gopro helmet.
Needs a test run.

I suggested a one way paddle but my partner wants to develop his upwind skills,so out we go slogging into and seemingly getting nowhere, just salivating for the turnaround.

At turn around, I watch him scoot off catching wave after wave. (I usually give him a few minutes and then play catchup)
I take off, grab a couple but fall off the back, I was trying to stay as high as possible and didn't quite hit it right.

I felt like I continually stuffed up, my bucket full and me wallowing and getting slapped around from the side.
I took a swim where I really shouldn't have, I'm just having a bad day I consoled myself.

I look across and see I'm now ahead, he must be struggling too I thought to myself.

A chat at the end and he described this great run linking plane fest with only a couple of paddle strokes for the whole trip.
Crap, I really was having a bad day, conditions were great, it was truly me stuffing up big time.

Oh well, it happens.

When I get home, I download the video with the intention of dissecting where I went wrong.

Forward through to the start of the downwind and watch somebody else scoot of down the waves linking run after run, get the bucket swamped once, fall off once when the boat got bitchslapped from the side out of nowhere. Remount in record time.

WTF!

Who was this?
Who stole my boat for this video?
This just didn't gel with my impressions of the run.

Am I now doomed to only have a ball when things are simply perfect?
Does a single swim doom a run to mediocrity?
Does a swamped bucket indicate total embarrassing incompetence?

My rose coloured glasses are broken,(sadly along with my GPS screen, after dropping it on the floor going out the door.

Where can I get some new ones?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #10054 by Rightarmbad
Dam, it posted under announcements yet again?
WTF

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 2 months ago #10064 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Rose coloured glasses
Try the shop next door to the bakery selling humble pie :woohoo:

• patrickswitz
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #10072 by patrickswitz
Replied by patrickswitz on topic Re: Rose coloured glasses
RAB- Swamping the bucket is pretty bad, but at least if you swamp or swim, there's a chance that you'll get some water in the hull. Then when the sandbagging session begins on the beach, you can slowly drain the water out in front of your buddies to give some credibility to whatever story you're trying to sell...

Latest Forum Topics