Paddle Grip

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #10447 by JonathanC
Paddle Grip was created by JonathanC
Hi all, I've been paddling for about 6 months in an Epic V10Sport and have a Bracsa IV paddle. The paddle has shiny heat-shrink material under both hands and a nub under the grip on the right hand. My first boat, and getting to the stage of doing upwind/downwind runs in 15 to 20 knots and rough water and only occasionally falling in.

Finding the paddle grip super slippery and very tiring, tried hand cleaner, sand rubs etc but I know I'm gripping too tight so thinking about cutting the shiny stuff off and going for insulation tape.

The locating nub under the grip on the right hand...do I need it? I find that when I'm paddling on the left side my wrist is slightly cocked down (hand up), if I try to straighten the right wrist, the angle of the LHS blade is wrong. Not sure if I took off the locating nub whether the paddle would just 'self orient' in my right hand when I start paddling.

Would welcome any advice. Thanks, Jonathan

Whoops - sorry, think I posted in the wrong area :unsure:
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by JonathanC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #10449 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I use surfboard wax for my "slippery" paddles. You might miss the locator if you remove it. Try someone elses round shaft paddle without a locator first.
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by superted.

• holonalu
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10451 by holonalu
Replied by holonalu on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I've got the same paddle, without the indicator. I tried some tennis racquet grip for a while, but now I just rough the shaft up with a little sand before going out. My only problem after about 4 miles in semi rough water is my grip hand going a little numb.

Aloha from Maui

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10457 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I use a couple of strips of shower grip tape available from a hardware store. It doesn't go all around the paddle grip area, just two strips where the palm contacts it between the thumb and forefinger. Allows a nice loose grip. I use fingerless gloves but on the occasion where I have left the gloves at home the grip tape is not so aggressive to cause problems.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10462 by owenfromwales
Replied by owenfromwales on topic Re: Paddle Grip
If you find your hands are slipping along the shaft, one thing you could do is to use insulation tape as a blocker, as well as a marker.
Check where you like to place your hands normally and then wrap narrow insulation tape around the shaft, close to the thumbs and little fingers of both hands, building it up until it does the job. This will not only help you to find your correct placement immediately, it should stop your hands from sliding or creeping down or up the shaft.
Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10467 by mrak
Replied by mrak on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I find wax is a poor long term solution for grip. It melts, shifts under friction and becomes quite ugly as well. Instead, try using VERY FINE STEEL WOOL to take the sheen off the hand positions on the shaft. This may work on the plastic shaft gripcover, but I've only used this on a carbon shaft.

1] First place masking tape at the outside boundaries of where your hands will go. This just gives a neater edge to the light sanding job.

2) Using very fine steel wool (hardware stores stock it for woodworkers) LIGHTLY take the shiny sheen off the grip area. Takes about 30 seconds to do. Don't overdo it. I stress this. It may look shiny still (sort of a satin sheen) but you don't want to rip your hands up paddling on an overly roughened surface. You can always lightly sand more later if you need to.

3) Remove masking tape. I then like to use a (Tommy Tape)silcone rubber tape border, tightly wrapped and stretched around the edge of where my hands go to stop them slipping. Amazing tape, it bonds to itself in 24 hrs and comes in a couple of colours (helps identify your paddle also at races etc). The advantage of this silicone rubber tape is that it doesnt have that insulating tape sticky residue (which eventually slides off in heat or friction and is revolting to touch and clean.)

4) Let the tape bond to itself overnight, then go paddle. No slipping, no wax, no roughing up with sand, just a long lasting satin sheen grip. Ive used this for about 2 years and it works well for me. You may develop a few calluses from the new surface, but if you're okay with that, then this method definitely improves grip when wet.

I'm about to do this again with my new carbon paddle (to go with my brand new ski).

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10473 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I use a tennis/squash racquet grip, bought from a sports store. Works for me. I use it only on the controlling hand (right hand).

Helps reduce slipping and also helps position my hand because I can feel if I'm gripping it off centre.

In my early paddling days I took some wet & dry sandpaper to the paddle shaft to roughen it up. For me that was a bad mistake as the shaft then chewed up my hand - much blistering...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10476 by mrak
Replied by mrak on topic Re: Paddle Grip
Yep, but the finest steel wool isnt as abrasive. I think its 000 grade? and only needs a light buff to remove glossiness of shaft.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10477 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re: Paddle Grip
With regard to the plastic cover on your paddle shaft, my experience is that 90% of paddlers (including myself) don't like it and cut it off. You can play it safe and try another paddle without it, but seeing that you don't like the angle of the cover it seems a fair bet that you'll be better off without it.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10478 by owenfromwales
Replied by owenfromwales on topic Re: Paddle Grip
Many recently made paddles have very nice smooth shafts and therefore don`t require the heat-shrink cover. One of my old Bratcha copies from Robbie Herreveld is a great paddle, but I also took the shrink wrap and found that the shaft isn`t perfectly smooth. The paddle is great for hour sessions, but any long distance and it starts to give blisters from the very slight uneveness of the carbon weave. So, check how smooth your shaft is before cutting your rubber off!

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10484 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Re: Paddle Grip
Fantastic responses, thank you so much for all the suggestions.

I do have another paddle that's just plain carbon and much prefer the feel of that (but not the paddle!) so I think I'll cut off the shiny stuff and deal with the raw carbon. The rest of the paddle is flawless so I can't imagine too many surprises under the grip.

I'll try the very fine steel wool out too.

Great forum, thanks again.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10489 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Paddle Grip
The guys are spot on, take the gloss off the shaft where you hold it and you should be fine. Also mark your hand position with electrical tape.

Personally, I use a strapping tape on all my paddles, adds almost no width to the shaft and gives a lot of grip. Get ready for some hard spots on your hands however if you try it.

In regards to locators, I am not a fan. It means your hands are both gripping the paddle differently, and that logic implies to me that if your grip is different through the hands, that will carry through to the forearms, shoulders etc and contribute to an imbalance. Just my opinion of course.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10490 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I use tennis raquet grip tape. Just make sure when applying it that the slope of the tape when holding up the paddle horizontally in front of you is inwards towards the middle. So the tape on the right side is sloping down and towards the left and the left side sloping down and towards the right. If you wrap it on the other way, the friction goes across your thumbs and rips holes in them! Tell me if I need to explain this better.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #10493 by ilcentaurorosso
Replied by ilcentaurorosso on topic Re: Paddle Grip

Marieski wrote: I use tennis raquet grip tape...

idem... of a proper colour that highliths hand position, e.g. white or yellow on black paddle.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10495 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I tried all the above solutions.
The only long term and cost effective one is strapping tape.

I also put an O ring on the shaft on the inside edge of the wrapping to act as a locator.
I cover this with electrical tape to hold it in position and to finish of the wrapping tape.

Tape from the outside of the shaft inwards.

The tennis grip, well the stuff I tried anyways, is great at first but loosens with use, so does bike wrapping tape.

The strapping tape I use is Leukoplast, ref no 01524-00 5cm wide.

Cheap as chips, won't let you down as it will slowly wear down, giving you plenty of time to redo it before it becomes a problem.

It's the most common solution I ever see on the water.
Yes you will develop calluses.
Most solutions above will give you grief the first paddle with them except the bike wrap, but it is just too expensive to keep doing it, great feel, but too expensive.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10503 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I've been using C4 brand SUP paddle grip on my wing paddles. I just cut one in half and put half around each end where I grip. Works great but you'll get blisters the first week or so.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10507 by kiwial
Replied by kiwial on topic Re: Paddle Grip
if you are after something for grip try "rescue tape" works a treat. if you want something a bit thinner 3M splicing tape is great too

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #10539 by DougMar
Replied by DougMar on topic Re: Paddle Grip
Grip: For years I've used cork bicycle tape... it will last for years (five hard years of use and counting on one of my paddles) if you put it on correctly. Read the installation directions and it will be good to go for years. Also, joint tape (sports medicine stuff) is really good and cheap, though may rip your calluses off initially. Abrading the shaft with 400 grit wet/dry paper also works ok, but I've still had slip issues with this method.... my favorite is the cork bicycle tape as it is smooth, yet grips your hands very well, and lasts forever (almost). Get the thin cork, as the thick cork is too soft and mushy, and adds too much diameter to the shaft.

As for the locator... ditch it! Only one paddle outing will prove that you do not need it.
Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by DougMar.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10552 by CyberSki
Replied by CyberSki on topic Re: Paddle Grip
I don't have these issues with the Jantex Gamma wing - as it has quite the non-slip surface on the paddle shaft! I am just hoping it leaves some skin behind!

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10567 by Nat Bradford
Replied by Nat Bradford on topic Re: Paddle Grip
Strapping tape works a treat - it's ripping the crap out of my hands at the moment, but they're starting to harden up - have to agree it seems to be the best, most cost effective way to get that extra grip.

Latest Forum Topics