ALL HAIL the "BIG O"

More
11 years 10 months ago #11581 by Sandy
ALL HAIL the "BIG O" was created by Sandy
F@#$ing awesome ! 49 years old and 12 Molo Wins ! Very inspiring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11582 by Edge540
Replied by Edge540 on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
Just amazing. Very inspiring indeed. Deano not far behind
in 4th also amazing.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11583 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
Amazing win

1st Oscar 3hr 24 min 08 sec
2nd Clint Robinson
3rd Pat Dolan
4th Dean Gardiner
5th Bruce Taylor
6th Martin Kenny
7th Matt Boumann
8th Kurt Tutt
9th Michael Booth
10th Tim Altman
11th Damien Daley

24th Grant Kenny (5 time winner)

Epic V10 Sport Performance
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Shady.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11584 by [email protected]
Totally inspiring!
Un-freaking-believable!

Except that... I think back to coaching sessions with the big O where he's demonstrated his skill in small runs by riding them for minutes on end with his paddle held over his head. The man is a magician in moving water.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11587 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
A great win. But, more importantly, how in the world does he fit in the Epic V12???

According to www.epickayaks.com/racing/teamepic/oscarchalupsky he's exactly as tall as I am at 6'4", he is at least 25kg (50+ lb) heaviear than I am. Yet I feel cramped in the V12...

Most of him must be above his waist... Or does he paddle a modified version? Anyone know?

More
11 years 10 months ago #11588 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
Oh, and one more observation: his GPS track. More specifically, his heart rate. He never peaked above 182 and only for a very short time. Appears he paced himself in a very moderate way, never over exerting. Or maybe his heart is just working slower overall ...

But I'd like to think he is applying a very disciplined approach, not wasting energy when not needed...

connect.garmin.com/activity/180468280

More
11 years 10 months ago #11589 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
Absolutely amazing performance as a 49yr old - he is a gifted soul.
Thanks to all who made the coverage & race possible!
It is a bucket list race for ocean ski paddlers

Also find it hard to imagine how he gets into v12 as it is snug on my 87kg frame

Oscars heart rate is also slow because he probably has a large left ventricle (similar to his mouth ;-) ) that can push out large volumes with each beat - like all physiologically gifted athletes (BP=TPR x CO[HRxSV])

Impossible not to respect Big O's achievements - amazing human being!

Congratulations to epic for a dominant result!

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
11 years 10 months ago #11590 by Rightarmbad
Funny thing is Oscar just seems to get taller and taller.
In his original Olympic profile, he is only 6'2'.

That HR is not at all low, and the 180 plus spike may very well be an error.

My own HR is much lower than that.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11591 by tony h
RAB that is cause you are going half the speed of Oscar - don't see your name in any top 10 results ;-)

Seriously, I am an intermediate paddler & often finish a 2hr race with an average HR of 170 bpm........am going a lot slower than Oscar.

Come on RAB, snap out of your 'now it all' paradigm & give some credit where it is due?

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by tony h. Reason: word omission
The following user(s) said Thank You: DougMar

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11592 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
It is more likely that at 49 he has a max heart rate more like that of a 38 year old, given the general rule that 220 minus your age gives you your theoretical max heart rate. Mine hits its peak at 165. So when Oscars is at 165 his HR is operating at 85% of its potential. Like most champions, there is a combination of skill, training and genetics. Oscar is built for paddling fast. This is why winning the molokai at 49 is impressive. The physiological constraints of competing against blokes 20 years younger is significant.
RAB...your heart rate compared to Oscars is irrelevant. His higher max heart rate means he can paddle harder for longer than you, given his fitness is good. Thats why he won Molokai and you didn't. A low max heart rate is not a good thing in an endurance sport wher you need to put in intervals.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Dicko. Reason: had to bag RAB

More
11 years 10 months ago #11593 by tony h
Agree Dicko , altho' that Karvonen formula has its limitations.
As you say, physiological age does not equal chronological age.

Oscar & Dean's performances in Molokai deserve our praise.......they are legends in a great race.

Just trying to goad RAB out of his usual critic paradigm

More
11 years 10 months ago #11594 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
I was inspired enough by Oscar to get of my own growing arse & do an hour on the ergo, after nearly 2 weeks too preoccupied to do any serious paddling. I realise I have no excuse, with a few years to go before I'm near Oscar's age!
It also proves unequivocally that there is an art to paddling on the sea that can't be earned anywhere else but on the sea. I wonder how fast Oscar would be against the same field on flat water? Dean Gardner would be much the same I'm guessing. Both masters on the ocean.
Phenomonal effort from the big guy, one of the great performances. Congratulations.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11596 by Bigdog
Replied by Bigdog on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
We all know Oscar's results and achievments over his amazing career to date. RAB you claim you have done speeds of 49.9kmph, you are known to go out in conditions that nobody else will go out in and with all the advice you offer you must be an elite paddler yourself?? Why don't you post all your career results to date so we can compare one legend to another. I await with interest....
Congratulations to Oscar again for an amazing win!!!!

More
11 years 10 months ago #11597 by mario
Replied by mario on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
Hat off to the master!
As much as I love goading him for his continual spouting on the subject of surfskis and everything else I realise that he is a true inspiration.Physical attributes he might have a-plenty but it's his mental state that is inspiring
..and hat off to Dean as well!..another master

More
11 years 10 months ago #11598 by Rob1
Replied by Rob1 on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
You are a true legend of the sport, the best of the best, an elite paddler that every other paddler around the world inspires to be, we salute you RAB you are best. As for Oscar and Deano, not a bad effort however the paddling community is waiting to see if who can achieve the same results as the almighty RAB.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11599 by cross trainer
I have joined this forum today !

Inspiration from the Big O or what, the world would be a much poorer place without the likes of men like Oscar C.

I first came across Oscar a couple of years ago on YouTube when I was thinking about buying a Epic. I didn't buy an Epic but I remembered Oscar.

I was really interested to follow the posted link to the Garmin site and review the HR info from the race. I am a 56yo with a max HR about 184 on a 5km road run. I am trying to stay below 150 for a 21km run but rarely exceed 130 BPM flat water paddling over two hrs going fairly hard. I paddled 2/3 times per week.

Looks like I need to up my stroke rate !!! Or get my left ventricle measured! Do any of you guys compare your HR during different activities ?

I think it time to look at buying a new boat again.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11600 by Rightarmbad
Me

Run

MAX 183
Anaerobic threshold 172
Fat burn threshold 158

Bike

MAX 179
Anaerobic threshold 168
Fat burn threshold 155

Paddle

MAX 176
Anaerobic threshold 162
Fat burn threshold 147

Swim identical to paddle.

An athlete always shows a higher HR in their best adapted sport.
I am a excellent runner and a great cyclist, in the pool and paddle I lag the levels I can achieve in the other disciplines.
I went under 30mins for 10km runs, I will never achieve that sort of level in paddling or swimming.

That should give you a baseline to ponder about.

Big Dog, I head out in shit others don't, because at the moment my boat is disposable to me and the only way to learn that shit is to get out there.
I'm not afraid of placing myself into a uncomfortable place because I am not worried about a boat.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Rightarmbad.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11601 by Rightarmbad
Tony H, I didn't mention anything about speed, just personal HR.

Exactly what part of my observation that there are many people out there that run lower HR is a downer on the big O?

It is an observation.

We all have our own personal HR profiles, there is no known way of predicting them, Age has nothing to do with it into well into the sixties and possibly higher, the only way to find them is to measure.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11604 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
Oscar is indeed an ocean legend .....

One of his comments that cracked me up years ago when he explained how good a board paddler Herman was ... we went from Blah to Blah and he was only 40 minutes behind me !!!!

www.epickayaks.com/racing/teamepic/hermanchalupsky

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11608 by tony h
RAB this topic is meant to be about Big O?
For everyone's sake.........it is not meant to be about you ;-)

Either way you contradict your self about your HR's relative to Oscars:

RAB "My own HR is much lower than that."
Clearly not according to the figures you have supplied

Oscar / RAB:
max HR 171? / 176bpm (RAB - Oscar's 180 spike erroneous)
ave HR Molo 152 / 155bpm goal
speed av 15.4km.hr / 11km.hr?
time 3h24 / 5h00?

Perhaps RAB, when you have achieved some substantial results in this arena it will be easy to accept you sprouting your grandiose perspectives?

unfortunate combination RAB.... more opinions than Oscar, but no paddling achievements?

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by tony h.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DougMar

Latest Forum Topics