ALL HAIL the "BIG O"

More
11 years 10 months ago #11774 by Rightarmbad
The real secret to weight loss is to want to do it bad enough that you do.
Half arsed just doesn't work.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11777 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
OK. I stand corrected about the direct cause of death. Do read about his heart condition some years and preceding his fall though...

superted wrote:

Kocho wrote: I hope you do realize thar high-meat diets like that (Atkins, basically) are likely quite harmful for you despite the weight loss? Just see what Atkins himself died from, not that it is a statistically significant event, but nevertheless, ironic, as I feel his diet directly and adversely contributed to his death...

Dr Atkins cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma" believed caused by slipping and hitting his head on the pavement.

Nothing to do with eating two many t-bones without the chips!

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11780 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
Heart condition was cardiomyopathy (not related to his diet).

Atkins diet works well. Not just the weight drop but also the awareness of carbs (good and bad) and when to actually eat them.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by superted.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11781 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
What I read online made it sound like typical heart issues one gets from high-meat diets (e.g., congestive heart failure etc.). We can't speculate too much since the cause of death and previous health records were not officially released and in fact, based on what I read quickly, there was no autopsy performed.

Regardless: what does it mean that a diet "works well"???

Dropping weight at the expense of long term health issues? Is this a diet that works well? Awareness of various carbs is good. But even better would be awareness of the various poisons and other "bad stuff" associated with the high animal-based protein and saturated fat intake that typically goes hand in hand with such diets. And that's just scratching the surface...

There are as many "good" diets as there are dieters, I suppose so to each their own...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11784 by mckengmsurfski
"What I read online made it sound like typical heart issues one gets from high-meat diets (e.g., congestive heart failure etc.)."

That is a brash over-generalization to say the least. I am not familiar with Atkins or his diet, but your statement is off the mark in regards to generalizing about "high meat diets". It's not how much, it's the type you eat (eating fresh lean meats, game meats, fish, and other meats low in cholesterol, sodium, and saturated fats prepared appropriately is not the same as eating fatty meats that are prepared in grease, high in sodium, processed/preserved, etc...), the lifestyle you maintain (do you smoke, do you abuse alcohol, do you exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight, etc...), your underlying health issues (diabetes, lupus, congenital or acquired heart abnormalities such as valvular disease, muscular infiltrates, etc...). CHF has a large number of potential causes and many of them have little to no correlation to whether or not someone is on a "high meat diet".
I would say that if you eat a bunch of bacon, ribs, fried chicken, hamburgers, fatty cuts of steak, etc... your statement is relevant.
I agree with you that we should have "awareness of the various poisons and other "bad stuff"..." but not just in processed and/or unhealthy preparations of animal based proteins but in everything we eat. You can be a vegetarian and have an incredibly unhealthy diet just as easily.
I also agree with Red that when it comes to diet, there are so many variables at play that no 2 people will be alike and everyone has to find what works for them.

Oscar's win was very impressive, as was the proximity of the key players to each other. What a finish.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11785 by Moll
Replied by Moll on topic Re: ALL HAIL the "BIG O"
Go research when heart desease became a problem in the States.

It wasn't when people were eating meat, frying in lard and spreading butter or lard on their bread.
It started with man made fats in Margarine and sunflower oils etc. and refined foods.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

Latest Forum Topics