First surf ski

More
11 years 8 months ago #12306 by FalllGuy
Replied by FalllGuy on topic Re: First surf ski
DrJay,

Great to hear you are a "local". Have done a good bit of surf fishing myself in the past out that way by Jones Beach.

Speaking of the Belt Parkway: When I first decided to try to paddle any sort of ski, the logic I used as to why I could do it and survive was, "Hey, I have ridden a motorcycle on the Belt Parkway for 25 years. If I can survive that, I can survive ANYTHING!" (laughing)

The footwells of both my Epic V8 and V10 Sport, as well as the new narrower Z cockpit V10 Sport and the cockpit of the V8, feel pretty much identical to me. To be honest it was the familiarity between the two boats that I credit as being the main reason for my smooth transition up from the V8 to the V10 Sport.

A few years ago I tried a V10 Sport and could not paddle it well for a hundred feet. After paddling the V8 for a season I got into the sport and paddled it for 15 miles in flatwater conditions, the 3rd day I owned it, and I have paddled it 50+ miles each week for the past month or so...

And yes, I agree 100% that the footwell was at first an annoying snug/tight fit. I personally feel that it is the one significant shortcoming of the boats that takes getting used to and would prefer a footwell about 1 (25mm) inch wider.

At the time I started with the V8, I weighed 205 at a height of 5'9, size 10 shoe. The rest of the cockpit always felt great. The hump could be a hair bit lower for my short legs, but I really don't mind it at all.

That being said, a lot of bigger guys fit into the Epic cockpits and footwells and make them work pretty well...

Oscar himself is about 6'4 if I am not mistaken. Our own local racing legend that every one of us 6 or 7, 50 to 70 year old, NY paddlers aspires to be like, " Icon of the Ski", Joe Glickman, is close to being as tall as Oscar, or is in fact TALLER than Oscar.

Hard to say if it is indeed true, but rumor has it that the two are of them are still growing just so one can out do the other in this category!(laughing)

I agree you should not count out the V10 Sport if you feel you can fit into it and if you can remount it comfortably. But I do think the V8 is may help you learn more, faster and easier and you could then sell it for a very small loss when you are ready to move up.

As I said in another post, the Stellar SR footwell to me was awesome when I paddled the boat. It was very comfortable in it's width. I could also see the seat itself fitting you well front to back and the hump dividing the footwell and the cockpit would probably be a great height for your larger thighs and such.

I found the actual width and shape of the cockpit did not fit my own personal build as well as the Epics. My hip bones were grinding on the gunwales and I would have had to do a good amount of padding to the seating area to be comfortable because it felt flat and square and basically overall too bench like for my sitting comfort.

But, if I had a little more padding on my body everywhere, ( I am now down to between 185 and 188 pounds) and the pricing of one of the builds of the Stellar was a little different, I would probably have had an SR myself right now.

No matter what, I think you will find one of those four boats will be a great starting point if you can get a chance to them locally.

Wesley said the S18S is a just a hair tippier than the V8...

So I would rank the boats stability wise...

V8

S18S

SR

V10 Sport

With about a 25% difference in stability between the most stable and the least stable in flatwater and when remounting in those conditions.

In paddling in choppy conditions and remounting, I would raise that number up to about a 40-50% difference.

To me the V10 Sport downright flies on flatwater and feels noticably faster than the other boats I paddle or have paddled in those conditions.

As I said, I wish you good luck to you with it all no matter which boat you end up with...

Just read Andre's and Zach's posts after compiling and sending this and sorry if I made any redundant points.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12308 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Re: First surf ski

zachhandler wrote: I am curious where you heard the bit about epics being too small for size 12 feet? Was it someone trying to sell you something else? I'm 6 foot and my size 11s fit fine. Oscar chalupsky, who designs the boats is 6'4". Team epic paddler matt bouman is 6'8" and im guessing he has big feet. As long as you dont plan on paddling in winter boots, i bet size 12 feet will fit any surfski out there.

Yup;

Heard from a non-Epic paddler that the Epic "footwell' gets too narrow. also they claim that at a 44 in waist i will never be able to sit an Epic. i do know that a 16 in cockpit in a sea kayak was too tight hence my choice of the CD Isle 18. Waist is 44 in and shrinking daily. widest circumference at the hip/butt is 48.5 in. So maybe i can fit an Epic?

Thought about the V8 but being sort of a sea kayak (topless) same hull as 18X i believe i'd rather go "pure ski' possibly V10 Sport. From what i have been reading the learning curve is not nearly as steep as the V10. Amazing what an inch or two in beam and a foot or two in length can do to stability!!

So, Epic V10Sport? Of course next problem where do i find one??

Jay

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #12311 by FalllGuy
www.epickayaks.com/shop/dealers/USA/FL

Don't know which is closer to you...
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by FalllGuy.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12317 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: First surf ski
Don't forget that the bucket measurement is more related to your hipbone width than anything else.

Anything that hangs out above the low waste of the bucket is pretty irrelevant.

The V10 sport also come in two bucket widths, the original which most had to pad out to feel secure, and the newer Z bucket.

If you can get a hold of an older model second hander, it may be the boat for you.
It is also a very accomplished downwind boat in the right hands, one that you may very well consider worth keeping even if you grow your paddling skills out of it.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 8 months ago #12399 by TheGoose
Replied by TheGoose on topic Re: First surf ski
Great thead, great replies...and right up my street as a Newbie Paddler.

Can someone tell me how to get a copy of the "Forward Stroke" DVD.

I have tried to buy it from Epic, Twice...with no joy...

Tried to buy in online from "Dodgy" establishments...no joy, so much so had to cancell my card....

All the Stuff Dawid has out there has been bought...but no sooner does the Book or DVD start, and they into "Down Wind, Catching Waves, Swells etc" that it does not much to create or motivate a beginner.

Sure learnt a lot from the info, but, not what I expected...

Is there something out there that Dr J and I can use...?

Thanks

Raymond.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12401 by FalllGuy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationRay,

I don't know where your are located. If in the U.S. you can find a copy here on Ebay...

Same seller has a Au listing here...

You have your choice of a brand new 2nd edition Epic DVD, or the Brent Reitz DVD so if anyone does buy. Make sure you specify which you prefer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheGoose

More
11 years 8 months ago #12403 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Re: First surf ski

TheGoose wrote: Great thead, great replies...and right up my street as a Newbie Paddler.

Can someone tell me how to get a copy of the "Forward Stroke" DVD.

I have tried to buy it from Epic, Twice...with no joy...

Tried to buy in online from "Dodgy" establishments...no joy, so much so had to cancell my card....

All the Stuff Dawid has out there has been bought...but no sooner does the Book or DVD start, and they into "Down Wind, Catching Waves, Swells etc" that it does not much to create or motivate a beginner.

Sure learnt a lot from the info, but, not what I expected...

Is there something out there that Dr J and I can use...?

Thanks

Raymond.

Raymond: Where you located??

Dr. Jay

More
11 years 8 months ago #12413 by TheGoose
Replied by TheGoose on topic Re: First surf ski
Hello all, thanks for the info, will be sure to take action as soon as I get the chance too.

I am in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, tried to contact the local Epic Dealer via several e-mails with no reply, which was the reason for me going to Epic Direct...not much better service there either to be honest.

I know too that there is a Surf Ski "Club" in the area, but my programme is such, that I can't commit to "Times and Places" so will have to get through the learning curve, with help from you guys and I thank you all for your efforts thus far.

Take care

Raymond.

Latest Forum Topics