Mocke PFDs

More
11 years 7 months ago #13311 by Draftbuster
Mocke PFDs was created by Draftbuster
Does anyone know the state of affairs regarding the Mocke PFDs.

In particular have they or will they ever in the near future,get tested and endorsed as a PFD here in Australia?

I heard months, probably years ago that they were under current review and testing.Does any one know what happened?

Cheers
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13326 by mancapbol
Replied by mancapbol on topic Re: Mocke PFDs
I asked in may about this to The paddling centre and here the answer:

"Unfortunately we will only have news about them towards the end of September. Keep an eye on our website thepaddlingcentre.com for updates."

More
11 years 7 months ago #13333 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Mocke PFDs
Just called Dawid and although he was reluctant to commit, he did say the following:

The latest ones have been tested to ISO standards - so if that works in Aus...

They've gone for manufacturing and will be available in a couple of months. "should be available for Christmas presents," said Dawid.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 7 months ago #13335 by Draftbuster
Replied by Draftbuster on topic Re: Mocke PFDs
Thanks Rob.I was given one for my birthday.Two years ago.
The IOU is still on the fridge.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13369 by DougMar
Replied by DougMar on topic Re: Mocke PFDs
Robin, what ISO Level was Dawid refering to? If Level 100 (100 newtons, 23 lbs buoyancy), it'll be way too much buoyancy (i.e. bulky!) for me. Hopefully it will be Level 50 (50 newtons, 11 lbs buoyancy) His previous law-breaking model was perfect!

More
11 years 7 months ago #13373 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Mocke PFDs
It's proving difficult to get details - I think Dawid doesn't want to raise expectations in case something goes wrong with deliveries, etc.

Anyway, he's promised to let us have a look when they get here, so we'll get a review up as soon as we can...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 7 months ago #13394 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re: Mocke PFDs
I understood that the hold up was regarding Coast Guard certification here in the US. Best vest I've ever owned: light, breathable, and just the right amount of flotation. The fluorescent orange is exceptionally visible as well. I'd buy another if I could to keep as back up. I know a lot of folks have been waiting to order up their own as well. Perhaps the CG cert. requirements are unnecessarily stringent (and expensive, to boot)?

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
11 years 7 months ago #13396 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Mocke PFDs
While I appreciate the endeavor to get certification for this fine design (I have the first generation and love it), my question is why not continue production and sale as "non-approved" as has already been done ? Maybe some convoluted bureaucracy ?There are many "floatation Aids" i.e.. Zhik sailing vests, that are not approved as type 3 pfd and are on the market. Not saying don't go for the approval just curious about the certification mandates.

Latest Forum Topics