Current Garmins

• benneta
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #14512 by benneta
Current Garmins was created by benneta
Can anyone give me an update on current garmin models and their application to ski's: exposure to salt water and longevity, speed, distance, laps, heart rate, programmable training (for time / distance / speed)good battery life needed but I don't think you can do cadence? Altitude not relevant .
I'm assuming forerunner but which of 310, 410, 610, etc?
cheers
AB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14517 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Current Garmins
Garmin 310XT seems to be by far the most popular model for paddlers in my part of the world. The newer version 910XT has a couple more functions to do with swimming but for paddling no improvement.

310XT has excellent battery life (I have used it for a whole day no probelms)

I had a Garmin 305 that I used for paddling for a couple of years but being it wasn't waterproof (just water resistant) it eventually leaked. The 310 XT was built for adventure sports including swimming so it fits the bill nicely. I just rinse it under the hose when I wash my ski down at the end of a paddle to keep salt out of the seals.

There is a good website that compares garmins to other models and gives independant and very indepth testing results www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/09/garmin-forer...in-depth-review.html

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: benneta

More
11 years 4 months ago #14518 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic Re: Current Garmins
I have the 910

Love it and it does everything you say. It does cadence for swimming but I believe it doesn't translate well to paddling

20 hr battery

So far it's held up well

Funnily enough the cost was the same as the 310

Was 400 aust

I also like garmin connect

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14522 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Re: Current Garmins
".. but I believe it doesn't translate well to paddling"

In what way? Use 910 myself, can't see why 310 for example would be any different.

Polar way behind now but I stll miss the ease with which you could navigate around settings on the older Polar Accurex's (no GPS of course).

Garmin while ok to use once set up for an activity takes unecessary fiddling around as far as I am concern to swap from "other" or Multi-mode to Bike mode for example. Unless activity name changed by fiddling through a whole range of functions, a bike activity for example could be logged as a run etc. If you do paddle evening then cycle morning there's buggering around which is fiddly.

My 910 certainly does the job in terms of multiple display options for a single session, presume this the same for the $100 cheaper 310. Example press of button moves my settings on the bike from two on screen functions of %VO2 max and speed, through heart rate, distance and gradient. A besquillion options available.

Downloading function easy, Garmin application straightforward but rather clunky and lacking sophistication using it such as clicking on the hand icon to move the map then clicking other icons to change options; also manually having to re-size the display to proceed through an activity although you can use direction buttons. Minor points but I'm a fussy bastard.

Garmin good for me; as AR points out, for paddling only 310 better bet. Wiggle pretty good though I bought mine online from an Aussie site.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Watto. Reason: Missed a few words out. Edits for clarity.

More
11 years 3 months ago #14709 by Larks
Replied by Larks on topic Re: Current Garmins
I have a 910 and I think it's pretty awesome. I use it for running, cycling and now paddling.
Almost have too much information and sometimes find myself running off track due to checking out all my current stats.

I don't understand the complaint that its a fiddle to change between activities. Hold down the mode button for two seconds and pick an activity. Two buttons, 4 seconds. Takes me far longer to put on my shoes for a run after a paddle.

• darebet
  • Visitor
11 years 3 months ago #14758 by darebet
Replied by darebet on topic Re: Current Garmins
I also have the 910. I curse it every time I use it. It taunts me to go faster. It is slightly smaller then the 310. I have no major complaints. Some troubles getting locked to a satalitte but once it is all is good. Battery life is awesome. Kind of wish it would tell you the time. It may, just have not figured that out. Used it once to navigate back in dense fog. Buy it!

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #14794 by Spudnut72
Replied by Spudnut72 on topic Re: Current Garmins
The wife bought me a new Garmin Forerunner 910XT for my 40th Birthday last week. Found out that I am not as quick as I thought I was, but also had the most intense couple of paddles ever trying to maintain a consistent speed. This thing is great and as soon as I can get the customisable displays happening I will be stoked.
I think that regardless of brands, the best performance aid any paddler could buy is a GPS - it doesn't pander to ego or give excuses.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Spudnut72.

Latest Forum Topics