WindGuru - what's going on.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15366 by smilicus
Windguru was always really accurate in predicting the wind, but lately it seems it is becoming more inaccurate.

Saturday it forecasted 12km/h winds in Gordon's Bay for 8am, but when we got there it blew well over 40km/h. Today is the same again.

Any of you having the same problems with inaccurate forecasts on WIndGuru? Or is it just for Gordon's Bay?

Any other suggestions that is more accurate?

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15371 by [email protected]
Howzit Smilicus...

I use a range of forecasts and believe the one that looks most like the weather I'd like!

I find our very own weathersa pretty good:

Weathersa

On mobile, I use the "windfinder" app which is pretty good.

Magic Seaweed is also good, and gives you accurate surf forecasts too:

Muizenberg forecast by MSW

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 2 months ago #15379 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Re: WindGuru - what's going on.
Agreed - WindGuru is NOT the be-all-and-end-all solution.

I use a combo including WindReport.co.za

I find WindGuru is good at predicting the trends, but really bad at timing sometimes.

So I try to match the reality to the trends in order to predict my own timing.

Also worth checking out is www.goodwind.co.za/ started by a friend of mine - its a pay service though, as is the SMS line run by WindReport. These both use the same stations to give live feeds from various beaches.

Anyone know the Roman Rock site, or Cape Point live feeds?

Another live feed that can be useful is www.trax.co.za/zeekoevlei_weather.htm - its inland, but live & free

More
11 years 2 months ago #15382 by [email protected]
Here's the Roman Rock link... but it's been out of order for a couple of months now. :(

Roman Rock weather station

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 2 months ago #15384 by latman
I did the Coolangatta Gold (In Australia) a few years ago and was checking the windguru predictions a whole week before , they were all wrong but the least incorrect one was for the Tuesday before Sundays race !

More
11 years 2 months ago #15387 by smilicus
THanks for all the links and apps guys. I used to use the windguru app on my S3...but have now installed the windfinder app too.

Luckily for me our club in Gordon's Bay have a iWeather link from their website to the mini weather station on the roof so we can see the actual (in real time) weather.

My main reason for needing a good forecast app/site is that me and my wife paddle together and due to our work schedules, we need to plan in advance (via info from the forecasts) for a paddle. For example get up at 6am on a Saturday before one of us have meetings the rest of the morning.

I will give the ones mentioned a try and see what works best for G/bay.

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

Latest Forum Topics