New V10

More
11 years 2 months ago #15398 by MaxB
New V10 was created by MaxB
Can anyone who's paddled the new Epic V10 give their impressions? I know someone can, because I saw one wednesday evening when I was out sailing - off Quarantine Beach in Sydney Harbour. They were paddling with someone on a Fenn Swordfish, which is particularly interesting, as those are the two boats that I would specifically like to compare!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15407 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: New V10
As you say, there are a number of Aus paddlers in them now - so I'm also hoping guys post their impressions. From what I've heard, guys are raving about them - more stable, more comfortable, just as fast. "De-tuned V14" was one comment that I heard.

They're only getting to South Africa in April I believe.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15413 by coldwater
Replied by coldwater on topic Re: New V10
Hi Guys!

I've demo'd the new V10 in the Ultra layup and can tell you it's an impressive boat!

I've never done an official review so bear with me...I'll be brief.

The finish is - as always with Epic ski's - excellent.
I was gob-smacked at how good the primary AND secondary stability of the ski is.
Really impressive! Leaning it over it seemed as if it popped me back upright!
Flat water speed is faster than my present ski (Swordfish - vacuum glass layup)
and going downwind it accelerates onto a run in a heartbeat.

having only done 1 downwind in it, I'm still not sure, but I would say that the Swordfish is better tracking once on the runs.
Having said that I did reach my fastest ever speed while on the V10 downwind.

The new drain from epic seems ok.
I say ok because being used to the standard venturi scuppers the new drain on the V10 is a bit different. It's adjustable so you can close it on the flat or open it wide for big water.
It seems when it's open there is a tiny fountain that pops up into the cockpit but the difference is negligible.

I did find the cockpit to be wetter than the Swordfish in big water, but the drain did a good job of water expulsion overall.
Lower sides = easier remount? Pretty much, i did a remount and it was just as easy as a Swordfish.

I think that's about my 10 cents worth...

Be interesting to hear what others more informed than me have to say!
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by coldwater.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15418 by MaxB
Replied by MaxB on topic Re: New V10
Thanks Coldwater, really interesting to read your comments. How would you say the stability of the new V10 compared to that of your Swordfish?

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15419 by andrew wheeler
Replied by andrew wheeler on topic Re: New V10
Having been on the old v10 Ultra for 4 or so years I was very keen to see how the new v10 Ultra would go when I picked it up this week. I also picked up a v14 Ultra in Dec which I use for training midweek in Sydney Harbour and Harbour type races so can give a bit of a comparison between the two.

The v10 is essentially a de-tuned version of the v14 as Rob notes. Put them side by side and they look very similar with the new cutaways and lower profile nose and hull.

The v14 is a narrow sleek boat. In the Harbour I don't notice the tippyness. In the ocean going into or across bump the twitchiness is noticeable to me. On runs the 14 stiffens up really well and is quite manoeuvrable. When you sit the 14 side by side against the old v10 you will see the cockpit is positioned further forward. You will also notice when you pick it up there is more weight further forward in the boat. In my view this makes it easier to get onto and stay on smaller ocean runs. Surprisingly it doesn't tend to nosedive but I have only had it in small to medium sea.

The v14 was the first epic boat that I have experienced numb leg syndrome in. I solved this by customising a 10mm seat pad to give me some more space higher in the cockpit. It was a high seat in the first place! The obvious result is more twitchiness but again its fine in Harbour conditions. Everything on the 14 is a bit narrower than prior Epic boats. I've noticed some abrasions on my ankle bones from rubbing against the hull. The 14 is a fast boat with great glide and responds best when you get your technique right. If you get a little lazy it will let you know.

The new v10 is as solid as rock in terms of stability. Clearly more stable than the old v10. My intention is to use it for Ocean training and races and my first thoughts were that it will be a fantastic boat for the 20km+ races as it will allow you to manage and be efficient with your energy. It feels similar to the 14 when you are in it, but more generous proportions means it really comfortable and less on edge. I've only paddled it a couple of times this week in the Harbour and initial impressions were that it had a nice glide.

Im hoping to do some tests with the old 10, new 10 and 14 with the garmin on to see how they go when paddling with a similar effort and cadence. I found the old 10 had a really nice cruising speed.

I also had a paddle on the Fenn Glide over in Perth earlier in the month in really flat ocean. It felt like a fast boat.

Great to see all the manufacturers bringing out new boats! I have no doubt there will be a growing group of paddlers with more than one boat given the variety of conditions we can paddle in.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by andrew wheeler. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marieski, Kayaker Greg, PaddleFaster

More
11 years 2 months ago #15426 by coldwater
Replied by coldwater on topic Re: New V10
Both ski's are very similar in stability...
Tough to make a call between the two!
Maybe the V10...?

More
11 years 2 months ago #15429 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: New V10 - Seat?
Hi,

Can you compare the seats of the old V10 and the new V10? Or to the V12?

FYI: I barely fit in the V12 (hip bones touching the sides) and the old V10 is more wedge-shaped and the seat is even narrower than the V12 and I don't fit...

Thanks!

More
11 years 2 months ago #15431 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Re: New V10

coldwater wrote: Both ski's are very similar in stability...
Tough to make a call between the two!
Maybe the V10...?

Hi Coldwater

You say the Swordy tracks better on runs in your experience so far. That's interesting, given its degree of rocker. Did you have both boats with their standard rudders?

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 2 months ago #15438 by andrew wheeler
Replied by andrew wheeler on topic Re: New V10 - Seat?
Hi Marieski

The new v10 appears to have a shallower seat than the old v10 due to the lower profile hull. Its also slightly wider at the seat than the old v10.

To me its a really comfortable seat. However that doesn't mean much as I have found other skis to be really uncomfortable when heaps of guys love them.

Best thing to do is to take one for a demo for a couple of days if possible to see how it feels in different conditions. I also thinks its worthwhile paddling for at least 1-1.5hrs as I've often found that whilst a ski has felt comfortable for the first 15-30 mins the niggles start to appear once you have been in the seat for a longer period of time.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15440 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: New V10 - Seat?
Good to hear! I paddle the V10 Sport (2011 model I think, pre-current gen, with the narrow seat that came after the first gen). So if the new V10 has a seat that is a bit narrower than that and a bit wider than the outgoing V10 (and a smidgen wider than the V12), it will be a perfect fit for me...

For what it's worth, I got some measurements, straight from the horse's mouth (Epic). Don't ask me about the meaning of them (e.g., how/where they are measured ) as I don't have that information :S

Old V10/ V10L/ V12/ V14 392 mm
New V10 400 mm
V6/ V8/ New V10Sport 411 mm
V10 Double 416 mm
Old V10 Sport 431 mm (and flat on the bottom)

I don't particularly trust these numbers, because they suggest the V12 and the outgoing V10 are the same but my butt says otherwise: the V10 I sat in (an '09 model, I think) was narrower than the V12 considerably - so much so that I did not take it out for a test paddle but took the V12... On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I had no issues with a 2010/11 V10 that I test paddled when I bought my V10 Sport and I do not recall that one being narrow in the seat - in fact I recall it was a great fit, snug but not pinchy... So not sure... Perhaps there are different versions of the "old" and "older" V10 in the US...
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Kocho.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15441 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: New V10
I paddled the V14 in Hong Kong and found the seat extremely comfortable (and I hated the old V10 seat which ground my coccyx raw).

The seat was very high too, giving a kayak feel.

(I also found it very tippy!)

I find the seats in the V10 Double very comfortable too.

On the basis of the reports posted here and elsewhere I have a V10P on order, but it's only going to get here in April sometime :unsure:

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 2 months ago #15447 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic Re: New V10
Started in an old V10 Performance for my first 8 months of paddling, then moved to V12 Ultra for the last 6 months. Use V10 Sport Ultra in big swell.

Jumped in a new V10 Ultra on the weekend, wow, I’d feel comfortable paddling this in large conditions like the recent Makai Cup. Quicker than the sport and the seat is comfortable, definitely more stable that my old V10. Still not sold on the plastic venturi, I like the stainless version on my V12.

Just to prove I wasn’t feeling good on the day, jumped in a new Vajda Hawx Elite, very nice boat, little more twitchy than my V12 – maybe an option for the future.

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfalund

More
11 years 2 months ago #15448 by brandt71
Replied by brandt71 on topic Re: New V10
How about sharing some photos of the details?

• Chaz
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #15455 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Re: New V10
Portmanm,
You found the Hawx more twitchy then the V12? I've had 2 v12's and a Stellar SEL and now a hawx elite and feel the 12 is way more twitchy and unstable then my hawx. I couldn't get used to the 12 always moving around, I knew it's secondary was solid but felt like it always moved. Now the hawx is a totally different feel, very solid and almost no movement. My local epic dealer took it for a spin and was also shocked how stable it was comparing to his 12, but of course he said it can't be as fast then!!! HA. I did find the SEL alittle more stable then the hawx, but alot fatter catch too. Just my opinion and thoughts on the hawx and V12. The new V10 looks like and awesome boat and something right in the middle for alot of people. Chaz

More
11 years 2 months ago #15460 by Nemo
Replied by Nemo on topic Re: New V10
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone posting about the new v10 and vajda hawx. I was looking at one of these for my next ski. Stability wise, I wonder how the two compare. Don't know much about the hawx, It looks very nice. Just looks like it would be tippy.
Thanks

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #15467 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic Re: New V10
Received a new v10 performance yesterday - thanks Epic!!

This is going to be a very popular ski!!

It looks really attractive & just asks to be paddled!

The description of the 'v14 on steroids ' is very good - whilst similar, the increased stability makes it more comfortable to paddle & the new shaped back deck is more aesthetically appealing & I imagine stronger.

It is as neat to paddle as it is to look at - stable like the swordfish but more comfortable & it feels quicker in the water. Rides the wave well & despite the length turns easily on the swells. The ski comes alive in turbulent water but still runs nicely on the flats.

The bailer is interesting - first impression with water shooting up is strange (no side walls to the scupper) but I prefer it to the old anderson bailer as it drains quicker & is easily controllable with one's foot to avoid interrupting paddling to adjust it.
I will change my epic double & v14 to the new bailer in time.

The performance layup feels strong in the surf.

Can certainly recommend getting a demo if in the market for a intermediate to advanced ski - sure there will be some elite paddlers who would perform well with this ski in big conditions!!

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by tony h.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15572 by brandt71
Replied by brandt71 on topic Re: New V10
Hi
Does any know where we can find some detail/photos of the new boat? I've seen the Epic site, but these photos are useless. Any more feedback to the new bailer efficiency in downwind conditions? First shipment of the new V10 is only due in Perth - April 2013!

More
11 years 1 month ago #15578 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Re: New V10
I'm curious about the stability of the new V10, as compared to the current V10 Sport.

My interest would be for use mostly in 1/2 meter confused chop, strong current and flatwater. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15579 by Goldcoastkiwi
Replied by Goldcoastkiwi on topic Re: New V10
Hi , I think I can help you with that!

I,ve just come in from paddling my new V10 Ultra , and have recently sold my V10 Sport(Club),and my wife has a V10 Sport (Performance)

The new V10 feels so lively,and accelerates so much faster , both of those traits are probably down to the low weight of the Ultra.

It doesn't have that bullet proof feel of stability that the V10 Sport has....but its not far from it, and the secondary stability is amazing....and its is so much faster, it seems around 1.5 km/h faster on my GPS given the same effort and conditions

I paddled the other night in about 20 knot winds with bigger gusts, in a confused slop, and didn't have any "moments", again the lighter build of the Ultra seemed a little more prone to being blown around, but a little touch of rudder soon sorted that out.

The new bailer works brilliantly. I run mine closed , and open it briefly when needed..its drains the cockpit in seconds, and starts draining from a very low speed...much better than the V10 Sport that always seems to have a few inchs of water in the footwell!

I think that the stability learning curve between a V10 Sport and the new V10 would be pretty small , and would definitely worth the perseverance, as overall its so much more boat!

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vattendjur59, PaddleFaster

More
11 years 1 month ago #15580 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Re: New V10
GoldCoast,

That was a great reply and gave me all of the info I was curious about. Thanks for taking the time.

Sidenote: I hand carved a bullet out of eva foam and encapsulated it in epoxy and then attached it to a piece of clear vinyl that I cut to shape and attached to my Sport. I also attached a rubber plug to a small piece of 3mm bungee that I use to close off the venturi.

Between the two, my Sport drains well and stays dry when I want her to...

Thanks again for the reply, it's very much appreciated. Good luck with the new boat!

Latest Forum Topics