Think Ion Downunder

More
10 years 11 months ago #16699 by Thinking
Think Ion Downunder was created by Thinking
I'm pretty much just a Joe Average surf ski paddler, same as the majority of you out there. I don't want to fluff up anything as being the next best thing. I also appreciate anyone just being out there on a surf ski paddling and linking up with paddling mates. Whether you paddle a Fenn, Epic, Think or Stellar or any of the other brands out there plying there craft, it's all good with me.

I've been paddling the Think skis for the last 5 years, I stopped flip flopping between brands because I found the seats and set up's on these skis perfect for me personally, so I'm loyal and stick with them. Every ski has it's merits and trash talking brand vs brand just doesn't help anyone, especially for many who simply want to buy a ski that suits them, and want to make a balanced decision when buying.
All I say to people is to try before you buy, check out the construction of each ski across the board and work out what best suits you the paddler, can't be fairer than that.

I'm based in Wellington, N.Z. I've just spent the early part of the week (over the ditch as we call it) in Sydney to check out the new Think Ion and hooked up with "The go to Guy" Downunder Stew O'Regan at Think Kayaks Australia.

Below are just some basic observations:
The two key points of the ski are that it has some "real rocker" in it and volume in both the front, and back of the ski, sitting next to either the Uno Max the shapes become very obvious to the eye.

The front of the ski has more volume (as in height wise) it is quite noticeable against the Uno Max and the Evo 2.

Hull wise at the front, it is much like the Uno Max nose/frontage but slightly chunkier, but don't be fooled by any of the volume or the fact that the rocker may look excessive next to the Uno Max, on the water, like any ski, paddling it is where we are best able to judge what this ski will do for us personally.

With the rocker and rear volume the ski just whips around the swells and chops seamlessly, it doesn't slap around like many of the skis that seem to have the rocker knocked out of them knowadays.

It will perform very well in the Ocean as a surf ski should, as it has really been designed to "rock and roll" and to strut it's stuff in this environment, on the flat, it should do o.k. there as well.

Anyone who finds the Uno Max a handful (i.e not being in the top echelon of skilled paddlers) is going to love this ski and anyone who thinks the Evo 2 is too slow at times, is going to jump straight on this one and paddle it with ridiculous ease.

Like any transition up the more you paddle this ski in a range of conditions the more you will discover what it is capable of, and the better it will get.

Once out on the water this ski will speak for itself, everyone will have there own take on what it does for them, but I think people will be pleasantly surprised by what it has to offer the paddler.

Just so you know where I sit, I have a Think Evo 2 Ultimate and a Think Ion Performance coming into NZ in September through Fergs Kayaks our New Zealand agent. For images from the Sydney trip www.wellypaddlers.blogspot.co.nz

Uno Max - Ion - Evo2 - Big Eze - Eze - thats the Think range top to bottom for 2013......Enjoy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17026 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Think Ion Downunder
It was a pleasure mate, can't wait to do it again.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17028 by Surfski geoff
Are fergs getting any think ion demos?

More
10 years 10 months ago #17029 by Thinking
Replied by Thinking on topic Re: Think Ion Downunder
I believe they do pre sale demos.
In Wellington...... they run one some times two specific surf ski demo days a year. They will also have an Ion, Evo 2, Big Eze and Eze (performance models) in their hire fleet.
A big effort is being put in to advancing sales of the Think Brand in New Zealand in the 2013/2014 Season.
contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Auckland) This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Dave Annear, Wellington)
The NZ container arrives in September, I know a few of the Ions have pre sold already and the container is split between 5 models and 3 constructions so it may well be a real scramble to get the ski you'd like, get in sooner rather than later. (trust me)

Some more images.....Ion on the left

Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics