Round rudder yoke??

More
10 years 11 months ago #16823 by mickeyA
Round rudder yoke?? was created by mickeyA
I have a Findeisen spec ski that has a round rudder yoke. There is only one cable that starts at one foot pedal, runs to the rudder, wraps 1 1/2 times around a round disk (yoke) that is attached to the top of the rudder shaft, then runs back up front to the other foot pedal. The cable grips the disk/yoke by having 3 bolts tightened to disk, pinching the cable to the disk. I have never seen one like this. My question: how does the disk/yoke attach to the shaft? Is the shaft made only for this round yoke, or can I disassemble and use the rudder and shaft with a traditional "T" yoke? Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16824 by mtnsutton
Replied by mtnsutton on topic Re: Round rudder yoke??
Not having actually seen the yoke this is just a guess, but if the three bolts are arranged in a circular pattern arround the face of the disc they may be clamping a compression collar onto the shaft. That would make a good fit but adapting a T yoke could be a challenge.

Creativity Cures Complacency

More
10 years 11 months ago #16832 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Re: Round rudder yoke??
Mtnsutton, You are probably right. To be clear, the 3 bolts are evenly distributed around the edges/sides of the disk (I think of the face as the top of the disk). Either way, these bolts probably do not only crimp/hold the cable on the yoke, but also tighten around the rudder shaft that is in the middle of the disk. This means the shaft is probably made only for this disk and has no flat part or threads for nut on the shaft to fit a "T" yoke. The ski is at my beach house 4 hours away, so I cannot disassemble at this time. I really like the long surf rudder it has and would love to use it on another ski. Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
10 years 11 months ago #16835 by mtnsutton
Replied by mtnsutton on topic Re: Round rudder yoke??
If the shaft is being held by a compression collar you should be able to use any rudder that has a shaft of the same diamenter and extends through the disks regardless of the flats and the threads. Putting a washer and nut on the threads would be a good backup in case the compression collar came loose.

Creativity Cures Complacency

More
10 years 11 months ago #16896 by lawsongr
Replied by lawsongr on topic Re: Round rudder yoke??
I have an old Findeisen. The center bolt on the disk goes through a hole on the rudder shaft. The other 2 bolts only purpose is to pinch the cable. I have cut the cable in 2 and swedge fitted a loop around each bolt for a more secure cable system. The shaft is round and if the diameter is correct you should be able to use a traditional yoke system.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16900 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Re: Round rudder yoke??
lawsongr, you've got the exact same thing as me. so, the bolt at the back of the disk goes through the shaft? that would make sense for holding it in place, but the bolt seems to be as thick as the the shaft. Does the bolt literally go through the shaft or pinch up against it? Does the top of the shaft have screw threads and flat square area for locking in "T" spreader/yoke? i.e., is it a regular rudder shaft with a different (round) yoke? thanks

More
10 years 11 months ago #16901 by lawsongr
Replied by lawsongr on topic Re: Round rudder yoke??
The bolt in mine is a 10-24(3/16 diameter). The hole through the shaft is not threaded. The hole through the disk is threaded. The bolt threads in the disk through the shaft and into the disk again. The shaft does not have a flat area. I use the Findeisen rudders on my other skis with standard "T" style yokes, by drilling and tapping a 10-24 hole in the bend of the yoke and putting a 3/4 screw with a lock washer into the hole in the shaft. If you would like when I get back to my shop today I can take some pictures of it for you.

Latest Forum Topics