Steller SEL vs. new EPIC V10... Stability.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17402 by Newbflat
I read that the new V10 has a good step up in stability over the 'older' version. Its also my understanding that the SEL is among the most stable of the elite skis. I'm curious if anyone out there has had a chance to try both and could comment on there relative stability. I'm beginning to think about my next ski and stability is on my mind.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17403 by Hipgrave
Newb, I've been an SEL user for the last 12 months and have recently had the opportunity to try the new V10 on several occasions. The new V10 has noticably more initial stability that the SEL. The new V10 almost felt as stable as the old V10 Sport to me. Can't comment on speed as I didn't have a GPS on board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: malikoman

More
10 years 9 months ago #17404 by cheeseman
The new v10 is more stable. Had a sel exel and sold it for dead leg reasons.Ithink speed more or less the same.The sel had a bad habit of shaking it tale on big down winds.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17406 by Newbflat
Hmmm.... The new V10 is sounding very tempting. Any other skis out there at the moment as fast and as stable?

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
10 years 9 months ago #17408 by Love2ski
I am a recent convert to the v10 from a fenn xt. Most comment, that it is a big jump up. However the new v10 is actually 45cm wide versus the old v10 which was 43. The new v10 is in the same category as the swordfish for stability. Interestingly good paddlers quote high speeds on the new v10.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17409 by Kocho
I don't know about the SEL as I never paddled one, but compared to the V10 Sport, the new V10 is somewhat less stable and is a step up in skills. Not huge, but it might present a challenge for folks who are not totally comfortable on the Sport. Hard to tell from just a couple of outings, but I don't think I am faster yet on the new V10 on flat water than I was on the Sport - I'm still not 100% stable on the new V10 on flat water, while I was on the Sport. On boat wakes, on the other hand, I see less difference in stability.

One other thing: while it goes fast when I put some effort into it, I also feel it has a lot of frictional resistance in the water being so long - almost feels it has poor glide and seems to slow down a lot when not paddled actively. So it requires some effort to move... It seems to have a usefully higher top speed than the Sport and does not hit a "wall" as easy when on boat wakes - there I feel I am faster...

More
10 years 9 months ago #17410 by Love2ski
Interesting observations Kocho. The new v10 certainly is long especially compared to something like an xt. I have read on this forum that at slower speeds a shorter boat can actually require less effort to paddle.

I am completely comfortable on my v10 on the flat, riding swells and organised chop. I am struggling on confused sideways chop and swell. Mind you the cold waters in sydney at the moment are causing me to be very conservative.

I am finding that I am paddling harder on the v10. I think its length means it is in the faster category of ski, but you need to have the technique and fitness to get there. It doesn't feel like it has a high resistance at 10 or 11 kmhr that my shorter wider skis had. As a result there is no cap on your effort.

I don't have the technique or fitness yet to get the most out of the boat, however I have hit 15kmhr on it already over a short distance. I could never do that before.

I have done a few longer paddlers where I am only paddling at about 70%. I have found that for an equivalent heartrate on my older shorter wider ski, I am actually travelling about .5-1 kmhr faster on the v10. For me that is indicating it has better glide.

In summary I have learnt going to a longer faster boat:
1. My fitness and technique is the biggest determining factor for speed. The v10 will not give me a magic massive jump in speed.
2. Full length skis demand good technique and fitness to get them moving at high speed
3. Some shorter skis cant get to high speeds regardless

More
10 years 9 months ago #17411 by SimonF
I have only tested the SEL and new V10 in flatwater. The primary stability for me felt a little better in the newV10 than the SEL, but the secondary was really progressive and solid in both.I felt I could paddle while asleep in both such was the reassuring nature of these boats compared to my twitchy Think Legend.

I did multiple short runs in opposite directions and had a GPS.
The speeds were very similar, but I did not get a chance to test over enough time/distance to really separate any potential differences. Sprint speed too seemed pretty similar, at an easy 14.5-15kmh with a slight buggered arm and ordinary technique. This is faster than I can ever get my Legend but perhaps a little disappointingly not near the 16.5-17 kmh I got to in a Stellar SES and a carbon Fenn Elite SL (Lotto please)

The newV10 turned tighter and for me actually seemed to lean into fast turns, a bit like a powerboat. I have not experienced this before.

I also paddled a Vajda Hawx on the same day as the newV10 and this felt similarly stable and as fast as the Epic ski. I would say all three define a new category of stability and speed, but in a purchase decision, the deal breaker for me would be the voluminous cockpit and relatively poor draining of the SEL vs the good ergonomics and draining of the Epic and Vajda. The SEL is cheaper at any given build and very well built though, so this makes a difficult decision for me.

I hope this helps.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17413 by cheeseman
I paddle the v10 sport (black nose)and is a very good forgiving ski. The new v10 (black nose),when you keep the power on, is more stable (for me)in the choppy stuff. It glues it self down and just goes.Very easy to cruise at 11 kmh.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17416 by mckengmsurfski
SimonF's experience paddling the Vajda Hawx echos most that I hear. You should think about adding it to your list with the other skis, you would not be disappointed.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17417 by Newbflat
The Vajda Hawx is a slick looking ski and also sounds like a winner. Might have to search one out for a paddle. While I like my Stellar SR, on flat days it feels slow. If I'm paddling with people on there V10's and such I fall way back. By my guess there going about 1.5 kph faster than I can.. My math says with a say V10 and little practis I should be able to keep them much closer and work harder to stay there. As it is, I don't even bother. When its rough though, things aren't so clear cut. Must have two boats!

Bill.

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #18036 by Kayaker Greg
Had a chance to paddle the V10 performance model today in choppy conditions, its as stable as my carbon Swordfish (same width), way more stable than my old V10L and felt like smaller volume than most 6.45m skis that I have paddled. I didn't find it as corky as my 11kg Stellar SEL for my light 72kg, but the ski is also 4kg heavier and it feels a lot heavier to carry. Its a bit wetter with the water coming over the sides than my Swordfish based on the short amount of time I paddled it after jumping off my Swordfish in the same conditions. Speed seemed similar for the conditions which were choppy conditions today and I find it hard to pick which ski is faster between all the skis I have paddled anyway. With some padding on the seat to lift me slightly and some hip pads I think I would be pretty comfortable in this ski as its hump is lower and further back than many skis which is often a problem for me. Personally I like shorter skis but for paddlers my size or heavier this would be a pretty nice ski to own.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19136 by meridarcey
I know this Topic hasn't been active for a while, but, i've paddled a Swordfish a bit on the same days that I have paddled my Hawx Elite and there is a huge gap in stability. More a statement about the stability focused design of the Swordfish as opposed to saying anything bad about the Hawx as it is a super comfortable boat but certainly for the intermediate and above paddler. My assumption would be V10 - 7.5/10 stability, Hawx 6.5/10 stability and the Swordfish 10/10 stability. Relative to the Swordfish being super stable. Happy paddling!

Latest Forum Topics