How aggressive is TOO aggressive?

More
10 years 8 months ago #17762 by [email protected]
Oscar confirmed that it is him and Herman in the boat. Here's what he had to say:

This happened after a race in the Spanish racing week. These guys grabbed our boat and tipped us in. We went to go and speak to them and then our boat went through their boat, poorly made Spanish boats!!

This would have been around 1988.

Right!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #17763 by Fuyang Guy
From what I know (all heard at least 3rd hand) it was at the Sella.
H and O were racing for the win, but the Spanish crew got a little aggressive and pushed them into the bank not far from the end.

As H and O crossed the line, they rammed the Spanish boat that was heading to the bank.

Do not know about any DQ, but story goes that team Chalupsky had to get out on the far bank and do a runner from the Lynch mob waiting for them

Edit: I see we have the story from the Big O, so at least part of the story I'd been told was untrue
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Fuyang Guy.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17765 by Robbie Stewart
Love that pic!

• jamii
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #17780 by jamii
Replied by jamii on topic How aggressive is TOO aggressive?
Porto finish chute. Not sure where the buoy is but it looks narrower from the air than the video....
Attachments:

More
10 years 8 months ago #17782 by PaddleFaster
[/quote]

Looks like they scared the guy so bad that he jumped right out of his board shorts forcing him to embarrassingly stand there in his pumpkin colored briefs...

Either that or they caught them in a, "What happens between two men in a doubles boat, stays between two men in a doubles boat" kind of moment...

More
10 years 8 months ago #17809 by Westley
I think there is only one person who can answer this one. Has Jasper made a statement? Given the controversy I think it would be appropriate. If Jasper says he was just riding the waves then so be it, if he says he stuffed up and deliberately altered his course to interfere and was sorry then great. Not sure about the rest of you but in that sort of racing when you are flat out and at the end of a battle then you see someone close, sometimes you seem magnetically drawn towards them. Jasper himself knows what happened and for what intent, I know Dawid would have been happy with the best man winning and would never 'cheat' Jasper is from the same stock. I say ask Jasper and take his word whatever that may be. It comes down to intent and that lives only in his mind.

Today is the best day

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #17810 by tony h
nice ideal Westley, but not how life works in my book - surely individual truths are highly subjective & by the very nature of the battle the two parties: Jasper v Tim or Oscar v Spanish will have two very different 'truths'!!
that is why we need umpires / referees / officials to sort it out.
even they get it wrong sometimes - because the call can be tough.
crazy ideal to place Jasper's word above Tim's or that of the officials.

(apologies to the ladies involved - have excluded other parties names in the interests of simplicity & because they weren't steering the ski's)

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by tony h.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17811 by Westley
Not so crazy I think. Tim isn't in a position to know the intent as it was not his intent. There is only one man who knows the truth here and I believe he is a man of integrity (at least his brother is) that is why I would be willing to take his word, not that he has given it? I guess I relate it to cricket and when batsmen used to walk if they hit the ball, both Australia and Sth Africa understand that notion. I think it more courageous that the man take responsibility for his action and say I believe it was right or I made a mistake in the heat of battle and apologise. If he says he was right then so be it.

Today is the best day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric

More
10 years 8 months ago #17814 by Mako
Jasper doesn't need to do anything. Race committee ruled, Jasper hasn't thrown his toys out of the cot, Jasper moves on. Elite paddlers know the rules and don't fart against thunder. We on the other hand are part of a majority that never knew about rules and are learning through healthy discussion.

• jamii
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #17844 by jamii
Replied by jamii on topic How aggressive is TOO aggressive?
Along with a the link, I posted the pic of Herman & Oscar on Fb...with much delight and comments, here is the best one from Philippe de Wergifosse ·
"Whahaaha.. Magnificent !! same story 10 years earlier in a 6000m LD K2 junior-race(18j) but since the "arrogant German" K2 was stronger fabric I only managed a letterbox hole but enough to sink the Ba**rd to a U-boat haha.. this where the glorious battle-days ,pure Nostalgia ; Thnx 4sharing"

I guess in context of the old school approach, Jasper could be deemed "passive aggressive".....
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by jamii.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17851 by Ric
I'm glad someone brought up a more common-place instance of this in a different game, cricket.

These days it seems perfectly acceptable to not walk - at least to the Australian & English batsmen in recent Ashes games.

However I did notice that when the 2 Australians did not walk, the English made nary a sound. When the English guy stood his ground, there was a huge media outcry.

Makes me wonder if making a fuss of the issue is perhaps unsporting as well? I really think its best to stick by some ruling in this case, or challenge the ruling. I'm concerned too many of us here are playing the man, when we don't know the full why's of the story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fearless

Latest Forum Topics