The 'cuda

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #18280 by Stephen Bunney
Replied by Stephen Bunney on topic The 'cuda
To Quote from Surfski with the pros ;"There is nothing better than paddling with your back to the wind, harnessing both the energy and rhythm of the sea."
And i would want my Surski obituary to say something like ...
Stephen went out at full flight, scuppers roaring like lions, linking runners like an Athenian god!
Not Stephen died of boredom "mowing the lawn" on a well set out triangular course, waiting for something exciting to happen.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Stephen Bunney. Reason: grammer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18283 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic The 'cuda
I find this statement bizarre by TAFFY MICK.

(Anyway... It is all a matter of semantics. Perhaps paddlers in your part of the world have a different slant on things. Unfortunately we, as in many other places in the world do not have anything comparable to your Millers Run and Reverse Millers. Must admit that footage I have seen of paddling in the Millers is as close to surfing as you can get without a point, beach or reef!)

So Australia with thousands of kilometers of coastline more than RSA we don't have any good downwind conditions, are you joking! Perth is one of the best downwind paddling areas of the world, the consistency and ease of access is unsurpassed. We have an international world cup even here, in fact for a whole week before we have downwind races organised.

Time to get out and about, MATE!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Bunney

More
10 years 7 months ago #18285 by Stephen Bunney
Replied by Stephen Bunney on topic The 'cuda
NSW - Makai cup ullaudulla :) . fabulous downwind.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18286 by Midlifecrisis
Replied by Midlifecrisis on topic The 'cuda
My 20 cents worth......

I like that there are a range of events in Sydney that you can choose from. Be it a flat 10km race or a 20km ocean race. You can choose the event that is appropriate for your skill level, and then build up to the next (or not).

It's all about choices. If all surfski races were ocean downwind, there would be a lot of people who would never enter a race. When you are just starting out you need the "less challenging" races to be able to compete and build your skills.

I expect that the goal for most people would be to be able to enter screaming downwind races when they have the skills, but some people will never get there and some may not want to.

Personally it is my aim to eventually get into the more challenging ocean downwind races but I'm happy to be able to use the other races as a learning ground. Hopefully these "other" races will stay around so that other new paddlers will be able to compete and the sport will continue to grow.

I guess the only problem is that there may not be enough downwind races. But I would rather the organisers add a few extra downwind races, than remove/change some of the "others".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Bunney, Vattendjur59, TaffyMick

More
10 years 7 months ago #18287 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic The 'cuda
Thank you Midlifecrisis, hit the nail on the head. Not all paddlers are "gun" downwind racers, nor perhaps do many want to be. Personally when I am offshore using the swell and wind I am so so. Not the be all end all for me. Am I competent in any swell over a metre or wind above 15 knots? Nope... not on an ocean ski. In a sea kayak? yes, because that is where I transitioned from.

Will I get more proficient on my skis? Maybe. Point is, I don't particularly give a rats. Just enjoy paddling within my skill level. Am too old at 57 to go pushing new boundaries. Just happy that at my age I still have the strength, stamina, fitness and above all, motivation to enjoy ski paddling in all its forms. Be interesting to see how many on this forum will still be paddling in the late 50s, 60s or 70s.

Again... each to their own Ranga... Maaaaate! Lmao!!! ;)

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

Latest Forum Topics