Basic training on and off the water

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18276 by smilicus
Hello All

I have been searching for a training program for on and off the water. I travel a lot for work and paddling more that 1 - 2 times a week is not possible for me (more likely 1 time a week).

I am fairly fit since I gym 5 times a week (50% cardio, 50% weights). Due to the fact that I can't paddle so much, I am struggling on the water with distance and feeling like I am getting nowhere.

I know, there is no substitute for TIME ON THE WATER, but what to do if it is not possible?

I also have a virgin active with a pool near by when I travel to JHB, Bloem, etc.

Is swimming and core exercise the answer? And when I do paddle should I do a variety of paddling (interval the one time, distance the next) or should I just stick to distance.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, tips and advice.

J

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by smilicus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18279 by [email protected]
I know that doing long slow distance paddling helped me a whole lot in the past - we used to go from 3 Anchor Bay around Robben Island and back - around 30km.

We haven't done that for a while, but we're building back up to it.

What's your goal? If you're not aiming at something, I'd say you should be simply looking to have fun on the boat!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selkie

More
10 years 6 months ago #18288 by smilicus
Hello Rob

Would first of all just want to paddle more confidently and then the aim is to do the SeaDog series (6-7km) and then progress to doing a 10km.

The problem is I am in the Wine industry and our traveling is very up and down, for 2-3 months you will travel a lot and then for 2 months you will not travel at all. So looking for something to keep up the paddle fitness in those months that I do travel a lot.

Paddle on guys.

J

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
10 years 6 months ago #18293 by AR_convert
First tip, make sure you are on a very stable ski, with one paddle a week you will struggle to improve your "feel" for the water.

Secondly, these exercises give a pretty good specific workout.
www.rapidascent.com.au/asp/articleskayakweights.aspx

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: EK Sydney

More
10 years 6 months ago #18297 by Ric
From my recent experience just doing interval training this winter...

This past Saturday was my first 20km this year, and I can say it was MUCH easier than it was in December.

So it showed me that intervals can really improve distance (as the science seems to suggest). Plus intervals are much easier to fit into the schedule than distance training.

(not to miss the fact that a proper training program would include both types... but we don't all have that luxury)

More
10 years 6 months ago #18301 by smilicus
Hello Guys

Thanks for the great advice, I will put some of it into my paddle regime and gym workout.

Paddle on

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

Latest Forum Topics