Leaking Andersen Bailer

More
10 years 6 months ago #18350 by zachhandler
I have an andersen bailer in my ski that leaks. When the bailer is in the fully closed position, water still visibly seeps in.

Anybody have any quick fixes to try? I have looked at some posts on some yacht forums, and it sounds like physically removing and replacing the bailer is difficult and may involve damaging and then repairing the hull. There are repair kits out there, but they appear to basically consist of a self adhesive replacement foam gasket for $50, and I'm not sure that the gaskets are the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Unless anyone has some other suggestions I think my first move will be simply smearing some vaseline on the bailer assembly on the outside of the hull.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18354 by Simon Haywood
I just assumed that it is an inherent design flaw...after all it is metal on metal. I had the exact same problem with my V12 Ultra and I recently fitted a brand new Andersen bailer to a Stellar SE. Mine appears to be leaking between the moveable venturi wedge and the housing...The Andersen rep had no easy fix either. I remember from many years ago in my sailing days they leaked too. However, it is better than the alternative standard venturi fitted to many of the skis. It will be very interesting to see how the new Epic plastic ones fair over the next period of time...The suspended sand in the surf zone is likely to play havoc with plastic more so than the metal variety.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler

More
10 years 6 months ago #18371 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer
I am guessing, however, that the new plastic one is more easily repairable - unscrew the old one and screw-in a new one. That is, if the outer frame of the bailer is sound... I don't know for sure though, just guessing from looking on mine...

More
10 years 6 months ago #18374 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer
Simon - what year is your SE? My SE is 2010 (if I recall correctly) and has the earlier bailer design (something of a tube molded into the bottom of the hump at an angle) instead of the more recent vertical/plug design (which bails much more effectively). It's tempting to install an Andersen bailer on the boat to improve drainage. I would enjoy seeing photos of your conversion. I just recently put an Anderson bailer into the Mohican prototype. It was a pretty easy installation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18380 by Simon Haywood
Red, My SE/Excel is a 2009 build (albeit 2 years old! well so the guy I bought it from earlier this year said)...It would appear all the SE/Excel in Perth, Australia are the 2009 build - I saw brand new ones in 2 retailers recently - both are 2009 build too. So yes, mine had the angled tube too.

I've got some photos somewhere on the procedure...I'll dig them up and post same shortly.

FWIW, I'm about to (next 10 days or so) do what I call a venturi-ectomy followed by bailer-plasty on my my Stellar SR & SEI using a Andersen "special" super mini...I'll post a step by step as I go.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
10 years 6 months ago #18382 by red_pepper
I'll look forward to seeing your photos! I've been very impressed with the performance of the Andersen bailer on my V12, plus I love the fact that it retracts out of the way when I don't need it. It would be a good upgrade to the SE.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18383 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer
Geeze guys, another gadget to maintain, repair or replace that is easily subject to damage. Don't we just want to go paddling?
What next, Gyroscopic Stabilizers on 14" wide boats?

More
10 years 6 months ago #18384 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer

Fath2o wrote: Geeze guys, another gadget to maintain, repair or replace that is easily subject to damage. Don't we just want to go paddling?

Foiling catamaran skis

More
10 years 6 months ago #18390 by Simon Haywood
Red_Pepper as requested:

A pictorial of a Venturi-ectomy / Bailer-plasty

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
10 years 6 months ago #18393 by Fuyang Guy
Replied by Fuyang Guy on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer
That is some awesome work.
Great skills and attention to detail
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Haywood

More
10 years 6 months ago #18398 by red_pepper
That is an excellent installation and beautiful work. Looks factory!

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18400 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer
So short-legged folks are out of luck, as it appears you had to remove/shorten the center foot board rail ;)

How is the bottom part attached to the hull? Is it held by just the pressure of the screws on the other side or does it have to be glassed-in too?

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Kocho.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18403 by Simon Haywood
Kocho

Q. As it appears you had to remove/shorten the center foot board rail
A. Actual slid the rail forward and mounted as below.

Q. How is the bottom part attached to the hull?
A. The opening is carbon fibre both inside and out, the bolt holes are drilled oversize and filled with a 'special mix' bolts (countersunk & notched - so they don't spin) are from the outside then filled and carbon fibre over the top as was the hole left by the old venturi. Then everything is faired and prep for painting - done in a colour matched 2 pack finish. we (painter) only patch painted(200mm either side of the repair inside and out) and blended in.

The bailer can be removed - it is held in by four bolts (nuts are on the inside) and 291 sikaflex.

As good as this turned out it was an experiment - It can be done better with even better finish and quicker too.

I will be converting the venturi to Andersen bailer on my 4 month old SR and two week old SEI over the next week - I'll post seperately.

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho

More
10 years 6 months ago #18406 by uk_exile
Replied by uk_exile on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer

sAsLEX wrote:

Fath2o wrote: Geeze guys, another gadget to maintain, repair or replace that is easily subject to damage. Don't we just want to go paddling?

Foiling catamaran skis

40knots downwind :woohoo:

More
10 years 6 months ago #18408 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer

Fath2o wrote: ... What next, Gyroscopic Stabilizers ...

I paddle with Simon and his bailer installation does look like it's original equipment.

I was going to ask Simon to refurb my ski ... he knows my average ability and being a 'tinkerer' would probably intall a Gyroscopic Stabilizer

More
10 years 6 months ago #18409 by Jmuzz
Replied by Jmuzz on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer

Fath2o wrote: What next, Gyroscopic Stabilizers on 14" wide boats?

But quite seriously, foils with electronic adjustment to automagically glide at the right height and maintain stabilisation is the future. Just wait and see, this is what will conquer fast ocean swells.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18425 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Leaking Andersen Bailer
OK, I'm in. Where do I sign up to be a test pilot of the new foil skis?
20-25 knots downwind, now were talking.

Latest Forum Topics