GPS advice

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18357 by therookie
GPS advice was created by therookie
Sadly I recently lost my Garmin 310xt to the bottom of the sea.

Before running out and buying another one I wondered if people have had any experience with the Garmin Fenix?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by therookie. Reason: grammar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18370 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic GPS advice
Sorry, no direct experience....but.

Just scanning a review www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/10/garmin-fenix-in-depth-review.html

A couple of things jumped out at me as a ski training aid...as the watch is generally attached to your foot strap you want easily accessible and easily understood menu buttons.

On this watch you have to hold down a small button to get it to record a 'lap'.

Also no interval function, I use the interval function quite a bit so that would be a deal breaker right there.

It certainly looks good though if you are an ultra distance runner or hiker.

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: therookie

More
10 years 6 months ago #18376 by nell
Replied by nell on topic GPS advice
The screen's way too small. The 310 XT or an older 305 is better IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: therookie

More
10 years 6 months ago #18378 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic GPS advice
NE body tried the Braca Digitrainer?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

• jamesb
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18387 by jamesb
Replied by jamesb on topic GPS advice
I have a Garman 910XT and find it to be very good. I paddle and swim laps on alternate days (sometimes I swim when I paddle :blink: ). In winter we start paddling in the dark, it has a lite background and it is easy to see attached to my foot straps. I paddle in "run mode" and you get virtually instant speed readout, distance traveled and time elapsed.

A little expensive at around $400 but I am pleased I bought it.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18388 by tgdg
Replied by tgdg on topic GPS advice
thanks James

I think you're right with the 910.

On my old 310, when uploading to Garmin Connect, I could never get the default speed reading to actually be 'speed' it always wants to show 'pace'. Is there a way of altering this to the default? (on the watch is fine, it's once its uploaded)
Someone told me if you use cycling and not running as your default mode for paddling it should fix the issue?

and auto pause solves the swim when paddling issue :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #18389 by Selkie
Replied by Selkie on topic GPS advice
Thanks for suggesting the Garman 910XT. I also am looking for a good GPS. One question though, is it fully water resistant? I have read reviews form swimmers who say that it steams up on the inside.

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

• jamesb
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18391 by jamesb
Replied by jamesb on topic GPS advice
Unsure re Speed v Pace issue as I haven't been uploading...too depressing as it will conform what I already know.

Re water resistance, mine is in and on the water six out of seven days most weeks for the past 12 months, no fogging yet.

I think the pause setting on mine is actually labelled "brace"

More
10 years 6 months ago #18394 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic GPS advice
Selkie, Some say the way I paddle - I should take up swimming!

I've used a Garmin 910XT for over a year now - its an excellent bit of kit - no problems, no condensation - I run mine in conjunction with a Vaaka cadence sensor - had a few issues, fixed quickly without any fuss (other suppliers should take note!)- easily the best service ever out of NZ can not speak highly enough for the guys from Vaaka.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18395 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic GPS advice

tgdg wrote: thanks James

On my old 310, when uploading to Garmin Connect, I could never get the default speed reading to actually be 'speed' it always wants to show 'pace'. Is there a way of altering this to the default? (on the watch is fine, it's once its uploaded)
Someone told me if you use cycling and not running as your default mode for paddling it should fix the issue?

Just look at your downloaded page activity and there is an option Pace and Speed under the Details/Timing, select speed and that will set the Speed as default once selected. Thats using either the "Other" option on the watch which is what I used to use for paddling, or now that I have a cadence monitor I use "Cycling", not sure if its different when using "Running".
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Kayaker Greg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tgdg

More
10 years 6 months ago #18396 by AR_convert
Am I missing something, your 310 or 910 can display around 50 plus different pieces of information in up to 4 per split screen. So for each option you could actually have up to 16 pieces of info scrolling while you are using it if you wanted to!

The run, bike and other options are just to help navigate, and get you started quickly. But each of these can be changed to whatever set-up you want.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18397 by AR_convert

tgdg wrote: On my old 310, when uploading to Garmin Connect, I could never get the default speed reading to actually be 'speed' it always wants to show 'pace'. Is there a way of altering this to the default? (on the watch is fine, it's once its uploaded)

:)

Oh, I see your issue, never had that problem, do you edit the sport when uploading to garmin connect?

More
10 years 6 months ago #18399 by therookie
Replied by therookie on topic GPS advice
yes, that's it, thankyou. changed to paddle and problem solved. Runner's must prefer Pace.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18401 by Metro
Replied by Metro on topic GPS advice
Replying to the original post about the Garmin Fenix, it is a marvelous watch. I was an early adopter and I could never give the thing up now. Perfect for running, climbing, hiking, general orienatation, on and on. But, as folks pointed out, not a great paddling GPS. I use a 310XT on my footstrap. But here is the great thing about having both (which OK assumes some disposable income): Many ocean races you take a coordinate at the finish, then navigate to it using the GoTo function on the 310XT. Works awesome. But, you lose the other functions - speed, distances, time, etc. With the Fenix, you take the coordinates at the finish, then run it next to the 310XT on your footstrape. The GoTo display on the Fenix is a simple big arrow that takes up the entire screen and is easily readable on your footstrap. So, you navigate with the Fenix and have the data from the 310XT. When the race is over, take the Fenix off the footstrap and you have your normal watch back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sAsLEX

Latest Forum Topics