Old vs new designs: Epic V8 & V10?

More
10 years 6 months ago #18677 by Selkie

zachhandler wrote: Selkie - I did something similar with my K1. The issue I had was that if I set the strap loose enough to allow good leg drive, if made rolling tricky. If I anticipated the capsize and spread my knees I could hold myself in, but If I was slow to do so, i would get twisted in the cockpit to where I would have to wet exit. So it wasnt a reliable system in rough water.

I have never tried it in a K1, but I get what you are saying.

I think the difference is that Skis have a hump under the legs. This makes leg drive more limited than in a K1 but aids the contact required for rolling. Even with the belt slightly loose, I find I can bend & open my knees to create the contact needed to roll when required.

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18679 by Kocho
Thank you!

I was imagining the belt being attached to the side (inside more likely) rather than the top. Was trying to picture in my head the pull forces' direction so the hull would experience forces that try to move the bolts sideways rather than pull them out... Yours seems to be about 45 degree angle to where the belt is pulling. But if it works for you I suppose it is strong enough there. I also wonder if there would be enough width on the V10 to spread the knees out like one can in the V8... I guess I'll have to try with a temporary strap wrapped around the hull to see if it works well enough or not before I drill and to see where exactly ...
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Kocho.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18682 by Selkie

Kocho wrote: Thank you!

I was imagining the belt being attached to the side (inside more likely) rather than the top. Was trying to picture in my head the pull forces' direction so the hull would experience forces that try to move the bolts sideways rather than pull them out... Yours seems to be about 45 degree angle to where the belt is pulling. But if it works for you I suppose it is strong enough there. I also wonder if there would be enough width on the V10 to spread the knees out like one can in the V8... I guess I'll have to try with a temporary strap wrapped around the hull to see if it works well enough or not before I drill and to see where exactly ...

Kocho...When testing a new ski/kayak; I always use a long length of 2" webbing and a good dive buckle. I wrap it around the hull and my legs in various positions to see what works best in various conditions. I will try this on my new V10s when it arrives.It pays not to rush this.

With regard to spreading knees for good hip use in the roll, I have found it relative to the width of the ski. As already mentioned...a narrow boat rolls easier so it would seem that the spread of the knees is relative to that factor.

I also find I don't need to use the quick release. I drop my knees and slide out the same way as a sit in kayak. Good to have the option as a safety factor though. It helps to bend the flip release more upwards for easier grip and/or drill a hole in the leaver and add a small ball float that comes easy to hand. I will take some more photos help make this clearer.

Another point is that with a narrower ski you will need a quick brace as you come up from the roll to avoid flipping the other way :)

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

Latest Forum Topics