Calling all glasses wearers

More
10 years 4 months ago #19350 by Paul600
Do you wear glasses whilst paddling? The time has come for me to start wearing prescription glasses on the water but my only experience in the past wearing sun glasses was that they quickly misted up and that salt from the water quickly crystalised on the lens.

I'm interested in what others wear ( sports or normal glasses) and whether you apply soap/spit/fairy dust to the lenses to prevent misting.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19354 by 1xsculler
I always wear wrap-around Ray Ban prescription sun glasses when I paddle but I have yet to paddle in big ocean conditions. My glasses do get wet with salt spray, though it has never been a problem and I don't coat the lenses with anything.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19355 by Crossey
Replied by Crossey on topic Calling all glasses wearers
I have prescription sunglasses that I wear quite often. The last two pairs of glasses I've replaced have been the result of being rolled in the break so I usually give them a miss if I'm going to be playing in the surf.

My last two pair of glasses have been Oakleys and I've never had a problem with fogging. I am located in the tropics so that might play a part. Also, while my glasses do get crusted in salt and covered in sweat and sunscreen it doesn't ever get to be too much of a problem. That may say more about my eye sight without glasses.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19356 by arminius
I always paddle with sunglasses and even after an hour or two of paddling the lenses are clear enough to see through, provided I wear a hat (baseball cap). The hat prevents most of the spray from the boat, and the drip from the paddle, ending up on the glasses.

Another perfect day in paradise. A bit of sun, a bit of rain and it's not even lunch time.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19357 by patblaw
Replied by patblaw on topic Calling all glasses wearers
I also wear Oakleys every time I go out, sailing or paddling and as Arminius says, if you have a peak cap, the glasses are somewhat protected. If you get salt crystals forming, just rinse the glasses off in the sea and be sure to wash them in fresh water afterwards.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19369 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Calling all glasses wearers
i wish i was wearing sun glasses yesterday my eyes are fried today after a 6 hr paddle down the river.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19370 by zachhandler
I paddle fresh water so the build up of salty grime is not as bad. That said, if I am going to be out there more than 90 minutes, if there is going to be a lot of surfing with spray hitting my face, or its a race where I dont want to have to keep shoving my glasses up the bridge of my nose, i just throw in a pair of contacts. Disposable contacts cost about an American dollar a day to use, and they block UV light from hitting the retina to a large degree (about SPF 15 for most types). Probably not the solution you are looking for, but as a life long prescription glasses wearer, that's what works for me.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
10 years 4 months ago #19371 by Paul600
Replied by Paul600 on topic Calling all glasses wearers
Thanks for all the replies. Not much chance of frying my eyes in December in the UK so I'll be looking for a pair with transition lenses or a very light tint. Now to go shopping.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19372 by Paul600
Zachhandler,
Until last week I also wore contacts for paddling but I've now developed an ulcer on my eye from wearing them so they're no longer an option. Glasses only for me from now on, unfortunately.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19373 by zachhandler
Rain-x?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
10 years 4 months ago #19374 by Paul600
Funnily enough I'd thought of rain-x as I already use it on the visor of my motorcycle helmet. My only concern is that many of the sports prescription lenses seem to have a coating on them and I'm not sure if rain-x would damage it. When I decide on a pair of glasses I'll definitely ask the question.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19375 by Ronnycox
Haven't used these before but they gave some away at the 20 beaches yesterday and looks the goods!

www.rxsport.co.uk/products/adidas-Tycane...olarized-Silver.html

More
10 years 4 months ago #19378 by Paul600
Hadn't thought about prescription inserts rather than lenses. I don't suppose they'd be any more prone to fogging or misting but I just wonder if with 2 lenses to look through whether it increases the problems due to water and salt on the lenses?

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #19379 by Jmuzz
Replied by Jmuzz on topic Calling all glasses wearers
I don't wear glasses, but I find that with sunglasses the old aviator style fog a lot less than wraparound style, because the air circulates a lot better.
Of course the sun protection isn't as good because some can get in the sides.

I always wear sunglasses (unless night) even when cloudy because it still frys your eyes here, plus the water looks nicer polarised.
Don't get fogging problems besides with close fitting wraparounds.
Dry salt builds up over the day, but occasional dunks wash it.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Jmuzz.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19386 by [email protected]
I wear glasses all the time, some thoughts:

I always wear a cap whose visor keeps a lot of the spray off the glasses. They still get splashed but very seldom to the extent that it interferes with my vision. Sometimes, I'll splash a handful of water onto my face to clear them.

Sometimes on windless days in winter they'll fog up - this is a big problem. I've tried rain-x type stuff but that tends to make the spray splashes smear on the lenses which is also a pain. In extremis I'll just take the glasses off my face and dangle them around my neck.

I've tried a variety of "leashes" on my glasses, but I find that a piece of whipping twine tied on works best. I leave it on permanently which sometimes starts a conversation (why do you tie your glasses on?!)

I bought a pair of ray bans some time ago but they fog up terribly so I gave up using them for paddling.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
10 years 4 months ago #19404 by Lance
Replied by Lance on topic Calling all glasses wearers
I scuba frequently and use a product called Sea Gold anti fog for my mask. Works well. You could try any dive shop and is not expensive.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19405 by wintermutt
i have a pair of prescription julbo's that i attached a bicycle rear view mirror.
they were $$ but i have had the same pair for > 10 years now without incident.
i always have a leash on them that goes around my neck.
the mirror is great - in one or two seconds i can scan all the water behind me to see how my compadres are doing or see if anyone is drafting me. i zip tied the mirror on.
same mirror for > 10 years BTW.
i almost never get fogging problems - i use a smith silicone no fog cloth

mirror is here (someone else's pic but u get the idea)

treadster.blogspot.com/2011/04/take-look-mirror.html

julbo is here

www.julbousa.com/prescription/

smith is here

www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Prescript...ies+Rx/Fog+Off/view/

Happy Paddling!

bill

• universaldirect333
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #19422 by universaldirect333
Replied by universaldirect333 on topic Calling all glasses wearers
I don't wear glasses, but I find that with sunglasses the old aviator style fog a lot less than wraparound style :)

Latest Forum Topics