SHARKS?

More
10 years 2 months ago #19856 by Abel
SHARKS? was created by Abel
I am thinking about venturing farther out from the coast. I am on the east coast of the USA. This area has great whites farther off the coast. I have to ask, what are the chances of having a run in with a shark. Has there been any reported attacks on surfskis? I suspect the surfskis underwater profile does not look like anything a shark usually eats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19858 by GAvC
Replied by GAvC on topic SHARKS?

More
10 years 2 months ago #19860 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic SHARKS?
Here's my take on it.

expeditionkayaks.blogspot.com.au/2012/01...s-shark-attacks.html

I'm way more scared of vending machines, especially those ones with a claw (Thanks Rob...)

More
10 years 2 months ago #19861 by coastbouy
Replied by coastbouy on topic SHARKS?
Hey Abel

Ah the sharks! I live along the Central California coast. Inside what is referred to as the "red triangle" due to the presence of Great White Sharks and the things they like to eat....marine mammals such as elephant seals, seal lions and harbor seals. As a matter of fact I paddle out Monterey harbor that typically has many sea lions resting on out on breakwater ( shark food?). Yes there have been attacks on people...mostly surfers. Back in the 80's there was a surfer who was taken by a Shark along Pebble Beach. There was incident years ago when a paddler in a plastic river kayak was paddling near the elephant seal rookery at Ano Nuevo Point. His boat got bit but he made to shore uninjured. Honestly when paddling my ski I'm more worried about dealing with California Sea Lions. They can be swimming or resting any where, any time in groups or by themselves. When the sea is bumpy and when I'm working on "catching bumps" they're hard to spot almost before I'm almost top of them.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19869 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic SHARKS?
more likely to die driving to car park to unload the ski.

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
10 years 2 months ago #19873 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic SHARKS?
Yeah,

No worries about getting chomped on a ski. I too, paddle the infamous red triangle and have only seen one to date. It was a large white travelling in another direction and was not too disconcerting. I agree about the bull sea lions which are aggressive and have large bacteria infested canines. I nearly nailed a couple this summer when on runners and also dealt with groups feeding on bait that were oblivious until I yelled at them. I recently just missed a large dolphin by a hair. The biggest threat is being run over by boaters especially here in Monterey Bay where the fog can be as thick as pea soup. Watch out for salmon rigs when you cross behind them.

Sharks! No biggies mate.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19924 by partymarty
Replied by partymarty on topic SHARKS?
where I paddle in Nth Qld sharks aren't an issue - because the crocs ate them all

Latest Forum Topics