red7 pro construction ? re resin type anyone know?

• gnome
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #20088 by gnome
I need to do a repair to my Red7 and need to know what sort of resin was used in the glass models.
Was it polyester or epoxy. Cause polyester wont stick to epoxy.
Cheers
Gnome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #20089 by antonsa
Polyester resin was used on all the Glass skis.

• gnome
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #20091 by gnome
Hi Antonsa
Just wondering how you know?
I just want to make sure I use the right stuff the first time.
Thanks
Gnome

More
10 years 1 month ago #20092 by antonsa
I was part of the design team for the red7 Pro and did some work on the layup and manufacturing. The resin used was actually a vinyl ester infusion resin. A polyester resin will bond - do the normal prep work of sanding and cleaning and you will be ok. The construction of the ski should have a Soric core (or similar) - make sure this is well wetted with resin or the bonding will be poor.

• gnome
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #20093 by gnome
Well having you here right at this time was perfect timing!!!
I will cut and install a hatch ring in front of the foot plate to allow me to fix it from the inside as the outside gelcoat is still intact.
Dont laugh but I think my damn dog must have jumped on the ski and damaged it, he is a heavy mutt.
Thank you so much for your help
Cheers
Gnome.

More
10 years 1 month ago #20094 by antonsa
In front of the foot plate - there should be a "rubber" pad. When you remove this you will find a hole that has been closed - this access point was for ease of construction. Cut this out for access and replace with hatch.

Dogs do these things! My ex wife simply rode over my ski! But you still have the dog.

More
10 years 1 month ago #20095 by jonny250
Gnome, you will get a better bond from Epoxy resin for a repair, even on a polyester layup. the polyester/Vinylester has cured in the hull, so you will be making a secondary mechanical bond rather than a primary chemical one. Epoxy makes a stronger secondary bond.
good luck with it!

• gnome
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #20096 by gnome
Hi Antonsa
Yes I do and the wife too, luckily.
She must have been very upset, if that was on purpose. How could she do that to a ski? Thats not playing fair. Break our legs but don't touch the baby.
I wish you all the best.
Gnome

More
10 years 1 month ago #20097 by Jmuzz
As jonny250 says, epoxy is better to bond to an old hull no matter what its made from. So might as well just go epoxy every time.

Latest Forum Topics