New Epic V10L

More
9 years 11 months ago #20243 by MaxB
New Epic V10L was created by MaxB
Anybody paddled a new V10L yet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20255 by MaxB
Replied by MaxB on topic New Epic V10L
Wow. After all the hype at the start of the Southern Hemisphere paddling season, the end of the season rolls around and still no boat? Way to go Epic. Guess I'll go get a Fenn Spark then.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20256 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic New Epic V10L
There is one here in NZ, not sure how it got to be here as they are not going to be available in any number until later in the year, one of my club mates paddled it to a great result in King of the Harbor but he would have done well in any ski, he said it was an awesome boat, thats all I know.

The Fenn Spark has had rave reviews and great race results, if I could fit one it would be my ski of choice.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20259 by Kennneee
Replied by Kennneee on topic New Epic V10L
I am looking forward to the new V10L coming to North America. I want a ski that is designed for a light weight paddler. The Spark, SES and the V10L are the contenders. I am hoping the new V10L will be the most stable of the lot. Can't push a rope so I will wait until I can get to try one. Anybody that has paddled the new V10L and can compare these boats, please chime in.

Ken

More
9 years 11 months ago #20260 by Metro
Replied by Metro on topic New Epic V10L
I have a Spark and have paddled the demo V10L here in Aus for a couple of solid paddles and have a V10L on order. According to Epic Aus the first shipment of new Ls is due circa 22 April.

The Spark and V10L are very different boats in my opinion. The Spark is a very low volume, long, elite boat. The V10L is shorter, more volume and, like its new V10 big brother, very slightly sub-elite. Importantly, that does not mean that the V10L is an inferior or slower boat necessarily. I have ordered one because I think that it will be a "horses for courses" thing. For normal ocean days, standard length ocean races, etc, I suspect that I will be on the Spark. But, for ugly days and longer races where fatigue impacts stability, I think the V10L will be marvelous.

To be clear, the V10L is not a Swordfish or a V10Sport or an EVO, etc. This is a very fast boat not meant for beginners, and imtermediates quite probably also will find it a handful at frist. It just happens to have a fraction more beam and stability than the very top boats. And for many people, and/or many conditions, that is not a bad thing.

The build quality and finish are excellent, as we have come to expect from Epic. The L has a premium feel. The bailer is excellent. The cutways are good. Although seating is personal, I find the L seat very comfortable, much more so than in the Spark.

I think the new V10L is a winner. If you are currently in the market for a low volume boat, I would not buy a Spark without paddling the V10L. Definitely worth waiting a couple of more weeks.

Two other good low volume boats worth checking out are the Carbonology Atom and the Nelo Ocean (M or L depending on your height).
The following user(s) said Thank You: meridarcey

More
9 years 11 months ago #20261 by Metro
Kennneee -

I have also paddled the SES. Of the Spark, V10L and SES, I do think that the V10L is the most stable.

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kennneee

More
9 years 11 months ago #20284 by meridarcey
Replied by meridarcey on topic New Epic V10L
Hi mate, ive got a Carbon Spark also. Love it. But as an intermediate paddler, i'm struggling some days. I had a V10 Elite, but hated it... Big, Flat and wide kitchen table is my best description. Have you paddled that also? Does the new V10L have the same super flat no rocker setup as its big brother? Cheers in advance.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20290 by Metro
Hi meridarcey. I have paddled the new V10 and agree with your thoughts. The new V10L has none of that. Much more of an elite boat than the new V10 in my opinion. No flat spot and it pops around well. You will like it I think if you find the Spark a handful at times. While I think that they new V10L and Spark paddle quite differently, if I can make an analogy it is that the new V10L is a very slightly de-tuned Spark. And that ain't a bad thing on really big days!

More
9 years 10 months ago #20690 by Kennneee
Hi All,
A bit of time has passed and wonder if anybody else has had some experience with the new V10L they could share. Love to hear comparisons to the Stellar SES. Any input appreciated as the V10L may finally show up here and need to pull the trigger. Have to make a decision between the SES and V10L. Tough life!
Ken

More
9 years 10 months ago #20716 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic New Epic V10L
Have owned carbon SES & ultra V10L for a month now. Also paddled the carbon Spark.
At 85kgs my experience is similar to some of the comments above:
Spark is the fastest, least stable ski of the 3 & like most fenns (unfortunately) I can't sit in them for too long d/t discomfort issues despite trying all known seat & footrest adjustments. It is an elite ski.
V10L is closer to the SES than the Spark.
L is a smidgen more stable & feels similar speed (altho' given specs one would imagine it a bit slower). Having a smaller cockpit area it doesn't seem to be as 'wet' a ride as the SES. Both seats are comfortable altho' my hips were a bit constrained in the SES.
Relative to my new V10 the L is less stable & feels a bit quicker.
Obviously it comes down to user preference & the important take home message is to paddle them for yourself given the subjective nature of this choice.
Also appears the newer ultra construction is stronger & more appealing.

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
9 years 10 months ago #20717 by Kennneee
Tony,

Great info, THANKS!

Ken

More
9 years 10 months ago #20721 by wags
Replied by wags on topic New Epic V10L
Hi Tony
Do you think the V10L may feel a bit slower because you are about 10kg over the optimum weight of 75kg?
Tom

More
9 years 10 months ago #20724 by tony h
Hi Tom - don't buy into the weight recommendation of less than 75kg
some sources say ideal <85kg for v10L
K1 kayaks are thinner & shorter than this ski & are paddled by larger weight ranges.
the original v10's were designed with big paddlers - 90+kg - in mind, given Oscar originally designed them for himself
have paddled the stellar SES & carbonology ski's with similar length/width specs without weight limitations attached to their marketing
certainly at my level - experienced intermediate performing paddler - these issues are not relevant :-)
most important thing is to try them all with your own skill level & needs in mind - we are spoilt for choice..........

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
9 years 10 months ago #20726 by wags
Hi Tony
Cheers for that. I have been considering one but figured at 80kg I would be too heavy for it as per the Epic recommendations. Did you at all find that at your weight it misbehaved in any way or that your weight was detrimental to optimum performance?
Cheers
Tom

More
9 years 10 months ago #20728 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic New Epic V10L
According to the designer, when you are heavier than the recommended weight the ski becomes unstable. The lighter paddlers find the V10L more stable than the V10.

Yes it will float you but if you are unstable whats the point. The top guys will race it in flat conditions.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20730 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic New Epic V10L
For what it's worth, I think too big a load in a low volume boat could be dangerous in bigger downwind conditions. My XT nosedives a lot and fear it will pitch pole in a big trough. Might be catastrophically ugly?! Plus I get tired of all that water splashing me in the face. Feel like I need a mask and snorkel. (I'm 100 kg)

More
9 years 10 months ago #20733 by tony h
all depends on your goals: for me at 85kg

v10L ultra is my ski for flatter conditions
new v10 performance layup is my ski for rougher conditions

I do find it less stable than the new v10 - as Ranga remarks is the manufacturers view - but not uncomfortably unstable, so can enjoy the lower volume / shorter ski experience in calmer conditions.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #20735 by MuzLath
Replied by MuzLath on topic New Epic V10L
According to the Epic website the ski is optimised for a 75 kg paddler, but note there's 5kg difference between the lightest & heaviest layups, +/- another kg or so manufacturing variation, so I wouldn't get too hung up over a couple of extra kilos around your belly if you're somewhere near the mark.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by MuzLath.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wags

More
9 years 10 months ago #20741 by wags
Have any of you guys been able to compare the old V10L with this new one in terms of stability ?

More
9 years 10 months ago #20742 by outriggerbev
Replied by outriggerbev on topic New Epic V10L
I've paddled my new v10 for 4 months and coming from an ses (I'm around 80 kgs)I find it so much less work downwind-Much more work upwind-and no difference on the flat-I haven't paddled new v10 l ,would like to try -but am more tham
n happy with the 10.Am selling the ses as i find too much of a difference(to relearn) the two hull shapes as you go from boat to boat.

Latest Forum Topics