Swordfish review

More
9 years 9 months ago #21081 by boss
Swordfish review was created by boss
Looking for some feed back on the swordfish from bigger guys 95kg +. How do find this ski and compared it to others? How does it run ? Have you tested it against other ski of similar stability? did you decide on another ski?

THXS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21085 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic Swordfish review
Boss,

I'm 110kg - I owned a 2012 built Vacuum Glass Swordfish for a short time. At the time, I was looking to consolidate to one ski - I didn't like the flat water speed or the steel steering cables. But was a nice ski in every other aspect...Never got to paddle it in the ocean before selling it, although I know a few who have them and love it for downwinding - someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've had series 1 V10sport (ultra)- 2011 build - found the build quality of that ski problematic. I bought last year the Stellar SEI (excel) and love it in every aspect...Do yourself a favour and try one

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
9 years 9 months ago #21088 by Echo
Replied by Echo on topic Swordfish review
I'm 100kg and had a vac glass swordfish for 12 mths. I loved the ski, well built, picks up runner easily, wire runners and footplate were solid and easy to adjust, hump is lower in the swordfish than other Fenns (great for the shorter paddlers) . Only problem was that I had the normal seat instead of the new wide seat model and was getting a numb left foot and hip from the snug fit. This usually only occurred after about an hour paddling. Also I struggled a bit in higher winds to remount it whichever method and no matter how much I practiced. The ski kept its value and sold it for a good price. Ended up buying a new V10 Sport in performance layup. A little heavier and a lot more expensive than the swordfish, but ticks all the boxes otherwise, including more confidence in open water. Would definitely recommend the swordfish to a smaller more confident paddler though.

• jamesb
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #21089 by jamesb
Replied by jamesb on topic Swordfish review
Having read many reports of dead leg etc I would strongly recommend spending time in any new ski before committing, there appears to be a common theme with some. I have owned Evo 11 in elite layup and currently paddle new Epic V10 in ultra layup, both great skis and fit my 100 kg butt perfectly. I spend many hours in them and have never experienced issues, with either. New V10 is deceiving though, very stable on the flat but lively on the swells, more so than the Evo 11. I am a social paddler who clocks up quite a few km's each and every week so mine is just the average punters opinion.

Happy paddling.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21090 by MikeyRoo
Replied by MikeyRoo on topic Swordfish review
Simon,

How do you find the SR vs the SEI? Is there a noticeable step up? SEI tippier in rougher water? What has more volume?

Thanks mate.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21091 by boss
Replied by boss on topic Swordfish review
Hi Simon,

Is it the I(eye) or the L you bought ? just checking.

Thanks

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #21092 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic Swordfish review

Echo wrote: I'm 100kg and had a vac glass swordfish for 12 mths. I loved the ski, well built, picks up runner easily, wire runners and footplate were solid and easy to adjust, hump is lower in the swordfish than other Fenns (great for the shorter paddlers) . Only problem was that I had the normal seat instead of the new wide seat model and was getting a numb left foot and hip from the snug fit. This usually only occurred after about an hour paddling. Also I struggled a bit in higher winds to remount it whichever method and no matter how much I practiced. The ski kept its value and sold it for a good price. Ended up buying a new V10 Sport in performance layup. A little heavier and a lot more expensive than the swordfish, but ticks all the boxes otherwise, including more confidence in open water. Would definitely recommend the swordfish to a smaller more confident paddler though.

I range between 110 and 115kg and had a carbon vacuum Swordfish. The above by Echo could have been written by me. I too have changed to a new V10 Sport in the performance layup (also have a Stellar S18S in the Advantage layup for surfing and day trips).

Deepwater remounts offshore in swell and wind I found to be very difficult and normally took me a few goes due to the narrow and deep seat. One day in some really bad conditions it took a dozen goes and I was on the verge of exhaustion. Luckily a kayak fisho saw my dilemma and paddled over and rafted against me until I recovered.

The Swordfish is definitely faster, albeit less stable, than the V10S and will pick up a run on a ripple. Wider seat version? Maybe, but I am more than happy with my Epic V10S and Stellar S18S at the moment. As Echo says, smaller (lighter) and "experienced" intermediate paddler... go for it.

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by TaffyMick.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #21093 by Simon Haywood
Boss - that's easy - I have both: The SEI is in Excel & SEL is an Ultra (Clear Carbon)

MikeyRoo: I find the SR almost as fast as my previous V10 Sport (Ultra) with almost the stability of my prevoius V8(Ultra) I use this ski in anything over 26knots or anytime I want to have some fun without worrying about stability - Have been out in 38knots with no worries.
The SEI is faster than the V10sport with better stability this is a really nice ski - well priced too compared to others. I use this in the ocean up to 25knots

Just a note - I have no commercial interest in Stellar - just love the brand. Really good back up from my local dealer and helpful Australian agent too.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Simon Haywood.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21109 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Swordfish review
Also commend SEI as stable, easy to remount. Compared to SES I notice speed difference picking the boat up to get on to runs, with SES instantly leaping ahead while SEI only marginally heavier (Excel both at 11kg and 11.5 kg) feeling a bit sluggish in comparison. SEI though is considerably more stable in slop and chop and remounts are not a problem. It is less stable than the SR. Interestingly though while SEI width is 46cm vs SES is 41.6cm, SEI internal bucket seat width is 41cm compared to SES at 38cm. That is despite being quite a wider boat overall, bucket width is still quite narrow. Simon you seem to fit ok for a bigger guy so maybe no issues.

Boat width very relative though. Many new/ novice paddlers who jump into SEI cope well, paddling with reasonable stability (in the SR they would be laughing). Same in the Swordfish - it is a very stable intermediate boat and most can cope. However had a mate who hasn't paddled at all jump in the SEI and he was absolute crap. An hour later the was still two metres from riverbank with both legs out. Maybe not relevant to your question Boss but basically get your arse in these boats. If you want to paddle SEI just email - I'm Perth too.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21120 by boss
Replied by boss on topic Swordfish review
A couple of you mentioned Stellar skis, I had a look yesterday at the SEL excel layup and glass which looked very nice. How do you find the stability and remounting compared to the swordy, I own a swordfish which is extremely stable and easy to remount, but don't want a huge step up in the loss of stability? the sides look slightly lower on the stellar SEL and a deep seat, The stellar are about 400 mm longer.

thanks

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #21121 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Swordfish review
If you are 80kg or above, you will find the SEL almost as stable as the Swordfish, below 80kg and the Swordfish becomes more stable for a lighter paddler than the SEL does, both are easy to remount, the SEL is faster and is real nice in bigger downwind conditions, the Swordfish catches small runners easier and fits better between waves in smaller conditions and is pretty rock solid even for me at 70kg, I get thrown all over the place in the SEL but when I was 83kg the SEL felt rock solid as well. I dislike the amount of water that the bucket holds if you get a rogue wave in the SEL compared to the minuscule amount the Swordy holds.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21122 by Simon Haywood
Boss (assuming you're still based in Perth), Give James @ Go Paddle in Osborne Park a ring and try out the SEL for yourself he is doing amazing deals at the moment. I'm a 'C' grade paddler - I'm nothing short of amazed at how stable my SEL(ultra) is - I was expecting it to be twitchy...you're right, you sit very low in the water compared to say the Epic V10(series2)...I find it easy to remount. For me there is very little difference in the stability between the swordfish and the SEL - but a significant difference in flat water speed!

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
9 years 8 months ago #21129 by PhilSE2
Replied by PhilSE2 on topic Swordfish review
Quite agree with Kayaker Greg. I have an SEL Excel and after testing quite a few boats settled on a Swordfish as a rough water boat as at 75 kg I find the SEL a bit corky for me in the rough for my level of experience. In selecting the Swordy I had a tough decision. Between it and the SEI but cockpit fit and its response to my weight won the day. The SEI was slightly more stable, particularly secondary with both boat similar in speed. The SEL is definatley faster than both of these in the flat and has great secondary stability but at my weight with this layup the primary is dominated by the way the boat sits on the water - not in it.
For anyone over 80 or 85 kg the SEL would be great. At that weight too the selection of the Swordy compared to the SEI would also be very difficult and would come down to personal fit and preferences.
So I can only recommend going out and trying them all.. I tried 7 boats defore selecting the Swordy and rejected some very good ones because the cockpits were to tight or the hump didnt suit.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21438 by Scode
Replied by Scode on topic Swordfish review

boss wrote: Looking for some feed back on the swordfish from bigger guys 95kg +. How do find this ski and compared it to others? How does it run ? Have you tested it against other ski of similar stability? did you decide on another ski?

THXS

I'm 97kg and 195cm, have just tried the wide seat Swordy and loved it.

I have paddled a Fenn SL for the last couple of years. After much fiddling around I found a way to stop getting the notorious Fenn dead leg while paddling the SL but today I jumped in my mates new wide seat Swordy as is and paddled for an hour and a half without a hint of dead leg. Did some downwind in some pretty sloppy conditions and the boat handled really well and downwind there wasn't much difference in speed to the SL and was just that little bit more stable.

I have paddled the normal seat Swordy and got a dead leg after ten minutes so this was a revelation and I'm pretty sure I'm going to order one of the wide seat jobs very shortly. The SL has been a great ski but now I'm just getting that little bit older (47) the Swordfish seems like the way to go considering most of what I do is downwinders.

Cheers

Latest Forum Topics