sony action cam mounts for ocean ski's.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21147 by mick09
I recently purchased a sony action cam mount . I want to be able to mount it to the middle of the front of the ski to capture the ski on runs. But - I cant seem to be able to figure out how to mount it. The action cam mounts are generally for flat to slightly curved. The mid front section of the ski is very curved.Even more so with a spec ski.
Any ideas would be helpful. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21148 by [email protected]
Not sure what the Sony mounts look like, but I've actually found that the video is better if you don't mount the camera dead centre of the deck. All the photography books recommend something called the Rule of Thirds - the idea is that a picture is more pleasing to the eye if the centre of attention is one third in from the edge of the frame.

In other words, draw two imaginary lines 1/3 of the way in from the edges of the frame, both horizontally and vertically. The prime spots are where the lines cross.

So when I mount my GoPros, I try to offset the camera on the boat and also in the direction that it's pointing. I use sucker mounts for the foredeck, so that's easier to achieve.

Anyway - what I'm saying is, perhaps you'll find it easier to mount the camera off-centre?

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 9 months ago #21150 by YBA/Jim Murray
Air Dog:
Another approach to a camera mount-the ultimate toy.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21151 by Chris329a
I've got an Epic V6 and I don't know about your ski but I used the existing threads from the bungee to fix some chopping board to mount my expedition gear. This was the prototype which has subsequently been lowered now but you get the idea.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21153 by LaPerouseBay
Here's what I did Mick.

A friend of mine does composite work. He gave me some small carbon leftover pieces and some small chunks of foam. I don't know what they call the foam, but its very stiff and light, closed cell. Works easily with woodworking tools. It took a while to make these parts but they are exceptionally light and strong. I attach them with clear packaging tape. Super tight custom fit, molded to the ski. I didn't use a vacuum bag, just cellophane and plastic etc. to keep the resin weight down. I'm a woodworker by trade and have a new appreciation for composite guys. It's not easy to make stuff small and light.

The front mount has a big deflector on the front. I use a gopro3+ and need to deflect the water if the nose goes under. Without a deflector the camera will lay down. I have another mount on top of that deflector now, pointed sideways. It takes great footage of other paddlers, great for technique views. Also excellent for downwinding, if you can keep them in frame.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Here is the rear mount. It's about 1 foot high. But I need to modify it to get up high like Robin's. That perspective is much better IMO. I'll get a carbon shaft and drill a hole through the top and fasten it to the base and where the cam is now. That's an older gopro3 in the picture. The 3+ is smaller. Great camera.

File Attachment:

downwind dilettante

More
9 years 9 months ago #21169 by foundwood
I have been experimenting with my Sony Action Cam as well. I am in the process of refining stern mounts to capture elevated action from the rear. The following video shows how I attach camera masts to the bows of surfskis:

Latest Forum Topics