New V12-V14 Performance VRS old V10 Elite

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #21993 by Coast Steve
Hey gang,

I may swap my super tippy original V10 Elite for a new style performance layup V12 or V14.

I know they are way heavier at 34 lbs ... VRS 24lbs but they may be more stable and faster?

Advice please.

Mine is killing me trying to keep my technique decent.

Steve

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Coast Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22019 by AR_Junkie
Dunno if these are of any advice but perhaps some feedback on the different skis.
I started my surfski paddling in an old v10 Sport (couln't even sit upright on flat water day 1!) then moved onto the new v10 in performance layup and found it as stable as the the old v10sport. Recently sold the v10 for a v12 also in performance and find it almost as stable as the v10. I only tried the old v10 (pre 2012 hull) in perfomance but found it way tippier then the new v10.

To me the new v12 is a big suprise. It has less initial stability then either of the boats above but the secondary stability is very good. I find it more stable then the new v10 in choppy conditions. Perhaps the larger nose volume and the less initial stability makes me more aware of the skis movement, also my 87kg probably puts the ski quite low in the water.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by AR_Junkie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coast Steve

More
9 years 5 months ago #22029 by cody91
I have an older Epic V12 Performance. I was wondering if there are any significant changes on the new V12 (i.e. seat, layup, footboard, etc.)?

More
9 years 5 months ago #22034 by red_pepper
I had a non-current V10L Ultra; now paddle a V12 Performance. I actually find the V12 feels more stable for me (and faster as well). As noted above, the initial stability may be a little less, but it has excellent secondary stability.

Cody91: I don't think the V12 has undergone any changes of note.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22041 by Fuyang Guy
Steve,
I would make a real effort to paddle either boat before buying.
The V14 is less stable than the old V10, so at best you would be relying on the weight differential for stability.
If you are not getting full power down in the old V10, I would go with the new V10 if you are over 75kgs and new V10L if you are less.
Both these boats are more stable than the old V10, but are marginally quicker and the resultant stability increase will result in a greater increase in speed than a theoretically faster, but no less stable boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coast Steve

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 1 month ago #22044 by Coast Steve
Ok, so a new model V10 sounds the best (if they have a demo to sell) can't afford to buy new.
And I would like to try that V12 in the heavier performance layup like you recommend.

My buddy has the ultra V10 new model and I find it much more stable than my elite old model

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Coast Steve.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #23565 by Coast Steve

A little update|:

I sold my old carbon V10 elite and bought a brand new NELO K1 from Portugal.

It's the "Quattro Classic" with the carbon swivel seat and carbon footrest.

My Elite ski was about a stability #3 ..or so I thought.

Well ICF K1's and surf ski must have a different range of stability numbers because this thing is from another planet.!

And it's a #3

Anyway, needless to say I've been swimming more than paddling. :blink:
Every tiny thought or movement does something in this boat and it seems to almost be a part of your body and not just sitting in a bucket.
When I get it sorted out I'll love it.

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Coast Steve.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23581 by owenw
That rotating seat in the K1, whilst you are new at it, ain't doing you any favours. It will, however, help with your swimming technique.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

Latest Forum Topics